Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety score is trash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's pretty trivial to avoid FCWs. Just never accelerate towards braking cars and never tailgate. Easy.

Sure, you might have a phantom FCW once in a while but it won't budge your score.
Completely disagree, false FCW are not trivial to avoid in traffic or on (especially curvy) roads with parked cars. If it was trivial to avoid them I wouldn’t have started this thread and provided examples to the contrary.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Completely disagree, false FCW are not trivial to avoid in traffic or on (especially curvy) roads with parked cars. If it was trivial to avoid them I wouldn’t have started this thread and provided examples to the contrary.
Idk I drive on those sorts of roads all the time and don’t have issues. Currently sitting at 99 safety score and nearly every FCW I’ve ever gotten I’ve deserved.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
This one is nearly completely irrelevant to scoring now. It was never really a major impact unless you wanted 99 or 100 as I recall (need to plug into formula I guess). Not possible for it to be a significant issue really with a requirement of 80.

No idea the actual thresholds used for insurance, but are they actually distinguishing (for example) between 97 and 100 for rates?
Oh re your last question, absolutely. I’m at 99 (again trivially, don’t change my driving habits at all) and I pay 68/mo for that. If I could get it to 100 it drops to 64. 98 is 72.

Was previously paying 100/mo with GEICO. I’d have to drive like trash for my score to push my rates that high.

Wonder how much this false FCW implementation affects FSD beta!!
FCW don't count against your score when you are using auto-pilot, or FSD beta.
There is a stop sign for a side road (no stop sign on the main road) that the car thinks is a person in the road. When the car switched to vision only, I could not drive past that stop sign without getting a FCW. I finally learned to use auto-pilot to get past it. Still got the FCW, but it did not count against the safety score.
The other common way I got FCWs was if a car far ahead of me decided to exit the road into a driveway, that would trigger a FCW even though it was clear the car would be completely off the road before I was close enough where I would have gotten a hard braking penalty if I came to a complete stop before I got to where he was.
FSD beta still gets FCWs, and phantom braking hard enough to trigger the hard braking penalty, but they just don't count in the safety score. That means I only have to worry about FSD beta trying to annoy other drivers with its antics.