Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been driving exclusively on AP on the highway and I've been docked for aggressive turning on 2 of my five trips. Was at 100% yesterday but now I'm down to 96% because of alleged 9.6% aggressive turning. Makes no sense. I'm driving on the interstate with AP on at 5 over the speed limit. No way I'm pulling > 0.4 G's anywhere on that trip.

I've heard other owners say it was because of when they were merging onto the freeway (which they were driving manually) that dinged them for the aggressive turning. Try turning on AP (and navigate on AP) once you're about to get onto the freeway.

• Funny
Reactions: kbM3 and nvx1977
Phantom forward Collision Warning from a car that was turning right into a driveway and was significantly ahead of me (and successfully completed the turn without me even having to slow down) knocked my score down 4 points. Which is a significant amount according to this tweet

That is not a "Phantom" forward collision warning, that is a poor situational awareness by the software. I have a street on my way home that used to get that warning a couple times a week. Now with the scoring system I know it will happen so I go really slow behind the turning car until it has left the field of view.

Similar to how when you are on autopilot and a car enters a turn lane next to you and slows down your car goes extremely slow until the car is fully clear of the lane lines.

I have adjusted my driving according to Tesla's software this week.

That is not a "Phantom" forward collision warning, that is a poor situational awareness by the software. I have a street on my way home that used to get that warning a couple times a week. Now with the scoring system I know it will happen so I go really slow behind the turning car until it has left the field of view.

Similar to how when you are on autopilot and a car enters a turn lane next to you and slows down your car goes extremely slow until the car is fully clear of the lane lines.

I have adjusted my driving according to Tesla's software this week.
My guess is the 'Early collision warning" setting configuration cost me some points yesterday (I thought I was not even close). So today I set to "Late collision warning". Too bad for points, I am sacrificing warning assist.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
However, I’ve calculated my score with the three different potential methods mentioned above and it makes a difference of just 0.02 (not 2)
Yeah, for people with scores already 95+, any difference is probably lost due to rounding. For others wondering how the different calculations matter…

Day 1: 6% hard braking from 6 seconds / 100 total braking seconds over 10 mile drive
Day 2: 0% hard braking from 100 total braking seconds (other times excluded by braking on Autopilot) over 90 mile drive

Day 1 score = 83.8 -> "84"
Day 2 score = 100

Overall score…
  1. if score weighted by miles: (83.8*10 + 100*90) / 100 = 98.4 -> "98"
  2. if factors weighted by miles: hard braking (6%*10 + 0%*90) / 100 = 0.6% for 98.9 score -> "99"
  3. if recalculated from aggregate factors: hard braking (6 seconds / 200 total) = 3% for 93.4 -> "93"
I'm pretty sure it's not the 2nd option as the main/overall screen doesn't show mileage-weighted factors (other than FCW, which the denominator is total miles anyway).

One of our vehicles has option 1 calculating 94.8 vs option 3 calculating 94.9. While the other vehicle has option 1 calculating 99.6 vs option 3 calculating 99.8. But if I recall correctly when the overall score rounded up to 100 for the latter vehicle, it seems to match up with option 1 rounding up from 99.5 as if it was option 3, it should have rounded up sooner.

So based on the polls taken on this thread, about 75% of drivers have a score of 98 or better. And more that 80% have a score of 95 or better.

Anyone who gets a score that high is probably a very safe, attentive driver. Elon says he will segregate the rollout by scores of 100, then 99, then 98, etc.

But really, that's pretty arbitrary. Anyone with a high score should be allowed to get the beta. A 100 driver is no better than a 99 driver.

I guess they just need some way to roll it out slowly.

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I found it funny that they are scoring your driving so they could drive for you! If they are doing the driving, why do they care if you break hard or turn sharp when you are driving? Unless... maybe they will only let the people who score low to get onto beta. They want the dangerous drivers off the street!
interesting. If FSD is as good as Elon thinks it is, then wouldn't it make more sense to give FSD to the worst drivers in order to have the car drive better than them :)

I'll be doing a test today on whether only regeneration will cause hard braking on a flat surface. i am going to do a 0-60 run and once i hit 60 I will let off the accelerator completely and let the car come to a complete stop and see if i get a ding for hard braking. If i don't get a ding on the first run, i will try it again and again for awhile to see what happens.
You may also try to let the car decelerate and stop going downhill or uphill.

.. and then, please try several hard stops, AP disengagement, and, of course, a few hard braking events with FCW. We love to move up in the line for Beta. ;)

So based on the polls taken on this thread, about 75% of drivers have a score of 98 or better. And more that 80% have a score of 95 or better.

Anyone who gets a score that high is probably a very safe, attentive driver. Elon says he will segregate the rollout by scores of 100, then 99, then 98, etc.

But really, that's pretty arbitrary. Anyone with a high score should be allowed to get the beta. A 100 driver is no better than a 99 driver.

Watch Kim Paquette’s FSD 10.1 videos posted last weekend on Twitter during low traffic periods. She lives in a town with ancient, narrow roads so FSD is really tested but her videos show how far FSD has to go before it should be routinely used. Musk should be ashamed of himself every time he gives a breathless tout of the latest and greatest FSD beta. Kim’s videos show why wide distribution of FSD beta is probably a bad idea for Tesla. I want it just as you do, but it is far from a finished, safe product and Tesla may walk into a PR nightmare if the product isn’t substantially improved before wide distribution. Hence the goofy safety requirement of a gamed 100 score.

... right, that top 1%. We need occupy FSD party, I guess.

• Funny
Reactions: Usain and ahoen117
My guess is the 'Early collision warning" setting configuration cost me some points yesterday (I thought I was not even close). So today I set to "Late collision warning". Too bad for points, I am sacrificing warning assist.
You're optimizing backwards.

Early gives you a chance to react so that Medium events don't hurt your score. Setting it to Late means you'll be posting next that you got a bad score and the car never alerted you.