Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just saw Elon's tweets that they will begin "on-ramping" owners with the FSD beta on Friday, Oct. 8 (a week from Friday). So that means I have to drive like a grandma for minimum 9 more days?!
I believe you have to be at 100% after 7 consecutive days to ascend to Beta. Teslas are now cursed to be the slowest cars on the roads for a very long time. Elon apparently is not pleased with his "children" even though the "children" sent him the statue of digit 1 and a huge gold medal.

I found it funny that they are scoring your driving so they could drive for you! If they are doing the driving, why do they care if you break hard or turn sharp when you are driving? Unless... maybe they will only let the people who score low to get onto beta. They want the dangerous drivers off the street!

The beta is still not trustworthy. Look at the beta 10.1 videos on YouTube. They want the most attentive and careful people they can get while moving to beta 10.2 and beyond.

Reactions: kbM3 and srs5694
System states 101.9 on Forward Collision Warnings.

It’s a 3 mile trip and I received no audible warnings.
Do you have your FCW setting on Late? If you do the Medium setting would trigger Safety Score affects without alerting you while in the car.

Events are captured based on the 'medium' Forward Collision Warning sensitivity setting regardless of your user's setting in the vehicle. Forward Collision Warnings are incorporated into the Safety Score formula at a rate per 1,000 miles.

On the drive into work this morning, Autopilot freak out on me and I had to take over. Not sure if it would of dinged me and counted as a "Forced Autopilot Disengagement" so I used the 2 scroll wheels to reset and it didn't log the drive....

I've hit 100 the past 3 days (93 on the first day though) so I hope I can keep on hitting hundreds for the rest of the days.

Reactions: Microterf
On the drive into work this morning, Autopilot freak out on me and I had to take over. Not sure if it would of dinged me and counted as a "Forced Autopilot Disengagement" so I used the 2 scroll wheels to reset and it didn't log the drive....

I've hit 100 the past 3 days (93 on the first day though) so I hope I can keep on hitting hundreds for the rest of the days.

I’ve had a trip that was similar. Slow distanced drive. There warnings went off over and over for like 30-45 and there was nothing to hit, nothing close to be. Perhaps drive but it just went nuts. Never seen it happen over all these years before the beta buttons. Something is screwy with the current firmware and the Scoring code.

I believe you have to be at 100% after 7 consecutive days to ascend to Beta. Teslas are now cursed to be the slowest cars on the roads for a very long time. Elon apparently is not pleased with his "children" even though the "children" sent him the statue of digit 1 and a huge gold medal.

You purport to have a 100 score in your avatar image, and I assume you have earned that score by going slow. My experience does not match. I currently have a 100 score, but I am still often going 10+mph over the speed limit on local streets. I just try to blend my speed with everyone else. The only thing I've been doing differently is leaving a lot more space between me and the car in front, so I can absorb braking over more time.

While sure going slower will also reduce hard braking and hard cornering, it's not something you really need to sacrifice to maintain a good safety score.

Reactions: HighZ
If you get a BS FCW it’s probably best to just hard reset before your drive is over.
Don’t feel bad about it since it wasn’t your fault to begin with and shouldn’t be penalized for it.

This isn't always possible. Many people report seeing FCW dings in the app but never heard any audible warning in the car, even when they were set to Early or Medium. My greatest fear right now is getting a false positive FCW. They seem to weigh heavily on the score, and it's really hard to neutralize them unless you drive a ton more miles (without then accruing even more dings).

Thanks. Just me. No other account. And now my app updated to 4.1.1 and still nothing. :confused:
Crazy idea, but have you tried opening the Tesla App, click the upper right account icon, navigated to account, then to contact info and make sure that your name and address are filled in properly? I filled them in accurately and also turned on "Calendar Sync" under "settings". In my case, then I when back to the app home screen, clicked the Safety Score button (for the millionth time probably) and voilà!!! There was a detailed score with history going back to the 25th and all trips had been captured.

I hope this helps other user.

Side Note: my score now sits at 98. That was a pleasant surprise.

• Informative
Reactions: nvx1977
The safety score is junk (sorry beta) at present. I got an unsafe following score of 60% on my way home from the gym this morning at 630am. It's a 12 mile trip, and most of it is highway. In the 2 miles it takes to get to the highway, there were zero cars in front of me. I merged onto the highway, put on NoA and took that to the exit. From there, I disengaged, because the exit is an S turn to a light where one makes a right. As soon as I made the right (again no cars in front of me ) I put AP back on. This road is a 40mph road that goes about 2 miles until I make a right, and then its less than 1/4 mile to my house. I was under the impression APs following distance doesn't count against ones score, so clearly something is wrong or not adding up. I sure hope this gets better before TSLA starts to use as part of their insurance premium calculations.

The safety score is junk (sorry beta) at present. I got an unsafe following score of 60% on my way home from the gym this morning at 630am. It's a 12 mile trip, and most of it is highway. In the 2 miles it takes to get to the highway, there were zero cars in front of me. I merged onto the highway, put on NoA and took that to the exit. From there, I disengaged, because the exit is an S turn to a light where one makes a right. As soon as I made the right (again no cars in front of me ) I put AP back on. This road is a 40mph road that goes about 2 miles until I make a right, and then its less than 1/4 mile to my house. I was under the impression APs following distance doesn't count against ones score, so clearly something is wrong or not adding up. I sure hope this gets better before TSLA starts to use as part of their insurance premium calculations.
Same thing happened to me this morning on the way to work. 4:00am no cars on the street to follow, used NoA for 9 miles on freeway. Got off freeway, no cars to follow, pulled into parking lot and checked my score, 50% unsafe following. Clearly Tesla is counting AP and NoA in this bogus scoring system

Agree on the unsafe following ... I just did a 100 mi trip on autopilot, had ONE car move from the front left lane, across my center lane (less than 1s following distance) through the right lane.

It's calculated as time following distance is < 1s and time following distance is < 3s, so while the car was in front of me (let's say 1s), that 1/1 = 100%

I saved a video of the incident as well.

I got an unsafe following score of 60% on my way home from the gym this morning at 630am. It's a 12 mile trip, and most of it is highway. In the 2 miles it takes to get to the highway, there were zero cars in front of me. I merged onto the highway, put on NoA and took that to the exit. From there, I disengaged, because the exit is an S turn to a light where one makes a right. As soon as I made the right (again no cars in front of me ) I put AP back on. This road is a 40mph road that goes about 2 miles until I make a right, and then its less than 1/4 mile to my house.
FWIW, YouTuber Tesla Joy reported that engaging Autopilot earlier (on the on-ramp, before getting up to 50 mph) and disengaging it later (on the off-ramp, after dropping below 50 mph) improved her unsafe-following score:
Her hypothesis is that Tesla is using the small period during which you're traveling above 50 mph with Autopilot disengaged as the denominator for the score, so even a few seconds close to another car while merging or exiting the highway will create an oversized effect on the score. This seems plausible to me, but I can't verify it myself.

Reactions: Thp3
You purport to have a 100 score in your avatar image, and I assume you have earned that score by going slow. My experience does not match. I currently have a 100 score, but I am still often going 10+mph over the speed limit on local streets. I just try to blend my speed with everyone else. The only thing I've been doing differently is leaving a lot more space between me and the car in front, so I can absorb braking over more time.

While sure going slower will also reduce hard braking and hard cornering, it's not something you really need to sacrifice to maintain a good safety score.
Hopefully, avatars should not represent the actual score, or you would be the champion.
I go a few miles over the speed limit typically, as usual. Unlike some other insurance trackers, Tesla doesn't seem to punish for speeding or hard acceleration. Nevertheless, many people here are really concerned about the speed, so it was a half-joke to say the Teslas are cursed to be the slowest cars. Perhaps the curse is self-inflicted.

What's true is the ability of the car to give false FCWs, which happened once to me approaching the cars standing at the light at speed of 23 mph when it was about 100 ft from that car. I'm cursed to 97 currently. So, if you want to keep 100 and avoid FCWs, you need to approach standing traffic at speed below 20 mpg from over 100 ft. Also, the paradox of leaving too much space in front of you makes it possible for cross-traffic cars to jump in front of you from neighborhood roads (in place where I live) creating real FCWs, so we also have to be careful not to follow too far behind. I find this to be an issue of the car software rather than the Safety Score issue.

This would be an okay game if the incentive is, for example, the cost of insurance for each of us personally. I find it really bad that (hopefully) unintentionally Mr. Musk and Co. are making us compete against each other. IMHO, Tesla should hide the Safety Score from those who want to participate in early Beta FSD. Then Tesla can get more adequate results representing our more normal driving.