Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some people seem to complain about every single Tesla / Elon decision. It's to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if they were financially vested to complain.
And some people will never find any flaws in what they do, and claim every version is mind blowing. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they were financially vested.

Which of course they are, they put down $10k for a bet on a product that will likely never exist. Kind of distorts their critical thinking.

(and nice to see were back to attacking people, not ideas. Always shows strength in your own position, and it does not look crazy at all to suggest someone gets paid to post on TMC)

At this point it's clear this won't happen. I'm just waiting until 1/1/22 when the "full self driving on city streets later in the year" marketing becomes fraudulent.
It’s now “coming soon”.

42D8F8D2-F24C-4CC3-BCC6-88FB35575F81.jpeg

(and nice to see were back to attacking people, not ideas. Always shows strength in your own position)

It's great that you spend so much time nitpicking the Safety Score when you have zero experience driving with it.

One of my Tesla-owning friends drove for over a week without knowing his score (uses Android), without adjusting his driving whatsoever, all over SF and the Bay, urban, suburban, etc., ended up with 98.

It's not rocket science to get a good score. You might not get beta TODAY with 98, but maybe later? Calm down? FSD beta is the most advanced FSD tech in existence. We're here to test it. It's not being "released" yet.

Some people seem to complain about every single Tesla / Elon decision. It's to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if they were financially vested to complain.

I do question those that aren't invested either emotionally or financially into FSD complaining.

My complaint is pretty obvious as I've been pretty consistent about loving to drive the vehicle, but absolutely hating on the semi-autonomous features. Heck the only feature I've ever praised is the auto-lane change.

Heck maybe the auto-lane change is the source of some of my irk about the FSD Beta and how its being rolled out.

I've been patiently waiting for the unified Tesla vision so my car has improved capability of detecting where vehicles are around my car so it won't see semi-trucks bouncing around. The lack of that accounts for pretty much every auto-lane change failure that I experience (about 1 or 2 every couple hundred miles).

That being said I think I've complained enough and now I'll sit patiently with all the other second rounders.

Have fun with your FSD Beta

I'll just eat some cookies on the sidelines, and I'll watch how this plays out. I just wasn't good enough for ole musky.

There's a deep irony to this safety score, and FSD beta only going to those with 100's.

While it looks like it's good cover for Tesla to say "we only sent it to the very safest drivers" - that is WAY worse if there is any kind of accident with it. It means that even given the very safest drivers, it still leads to accidents, so Tesla needs even more development and testing before trying again. As is always said, FULL SELF DRIVING CAPABILITY is an L2 system- it is fundamentally the driver that is responsible, as they are the only safety critical element in the system.

If they sent it to random drivers, they could say "well, yeah, some drivers kind of suck, but that's not average, and one accident per 1K people is just statistics" But in this case, they are claiming only the very best have it, way better than average. If they see any issues with this group, they flat out can't expand it downwards, because those issues will only get worse.

This hand picking of people that meet some other metric means that this is not a valid test of reliability nor is it even that useful for many kinds of training. This is absolutely not the way any kind of statistician would run a test to start to see if it can be widely deployed. That doesn't bode well for it going wider soon. I think some of you have it right that any accident with this group means the whole thing will need to be pulled. If the very best can't handle it, who can?
When I said "cover," I was primarily speaking from a legal/liability perspective. Tesla has to walk a tightrope in figuring out how to best test it's software with the least risk of legal exposure. The safety score test (releasing beta to those with a perfect score after 14 days) is the compromise between Elon and his GC (legal department).

I decided to get fully suckered in to the "gamifcation." Yesterday I added 50 miles, but I learned about "unsafe following".

I dove into the TMC search function, and I estimated I needed 220 miles of perfection to reach 99.51. So I went on a useless drive hoping that highway autopilot and extreme care would get me over the finish line. Okay, it was not totally useless because I found a rare (to me) Krystal at which I could get some questionable fast food burgers.

After a stomach ache and a desperate supercharger stop near midnight, I was still at an total score of 99 after 199 total miles of perfection. I took the long way home to add 30 miles.

I climbed out of my 3, and saw 💯! My calculations tell me I may have a 99.69 now.

I am seeing rumors that it's really midnight PST. I am debating whether to stay up for either jubilation or extreme disappointment.

We have the illusion of control over it.

This makes it substantially worse because if you didn't get it you can't just blame Tesla, but you have to blame yourself too. If you didn't stop for that yellow or if would have just driven your other vehicle for 2 weeks while the Tesla sat in the garage with 1 mile of perfect driving.

As you see in this thread people have resorted to adjusting the way they handle situations, and doing weird things to try to undo marks against them. On a few occasions I've helped people with advice on how to reduce the marks against them. The person who posted the spreadsheet helped us all out a ton, but the entire existence of it along with the usage shows how obsessed people got over it.

This Safety Score Beta is a disaster even without how its tied into the FSD Beta. They just tied it to convince thousands of people to have their driving judged. If it wasn't tied to it the beta score would simply be entertaining.

The entire purpose I had of buying FSD back in 2018 was to experience it as it grew. I didn't expect autonomous driving, but I expected to at least be able to experience some elements of it. The hardware necessary for autonomous driving simply isn't there so the only question is how well L2 level human+car interaction will work as the SW gets better.

There is also a bit of FOMO out going on. Where there is the very real possibility that some event will happen with the first 1K people that will stop the rollout for the rest of us.

At the end of the day I would have preferred a regional specific rollout as then I could simply see when my region was scheduled, and not worry too much about it.

I'm certainly not the only one who wasted countess hours obsessing over it. I spent the last week driving my car in a way I've never driven a car before, and I've been driving for 30+ years. Like I said before I had to pretend it was my RV.

If I had a spouse I'm pretty sure she would have turned it off, and told me to stop it. :p
Yes, the safety score is a pain and a disaster to us manic few who would trade a left hand for the opportunity to try the beta. But, in my opinion, it was probably the best approach to minimize risk (not solely the risk of an accident, but primarily the risk of exposure to liability in the event of an accident).

It's great that you spend so much time nitpicking the Safety Score when you have zero experience driving with it.
Well, one of my complaints is that they claim to be "safety first" and have come up with a "safety score" that helps drivers become safer.

...Yet they only roll it out to those that paid for FULL SELF DRIVING, the very people that don't need a safety score.

They weren’t clear that it was only going to scores of 100 from the start. Knowing that would have helped. It would have set expectations up front and I could have decided it wasn’t (or was) worth it days ago.
I honestly don't think Elon knew for certain that they would utilize the approach they seem to be taking. He probably wanted to release it to a thousand new people every day, but someone convinced him that was a bad idea.