Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage 2022 Model Y LR. High Voltage Battery contactors not closing. Car has the new Li-Ion 12v battery.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you, been asking around for some time with no leads.

Those look like the type of guys I am looking for, resourceful and innovative problem solving. Not the scratched=totaled crowd.

Same with my salvage car, but my contactors are closing with maintainer and car works from HV battery only. firmware upgrade stucked with vc_batt and vc_front error. Service mode doesnt work too...
Big thx Nintendo) now i know about vc_front hope this will work
@Dimtrsu,

Did you resolve your issue?

I also have a 2022 salvage car, my contactors are closing when powering the car from a power supply, but DC-DC converter doesn't power on and the car doesn't go into drive or charge. Wondering if I should try replacing vcfront.

Thanks

I just replaced the Pyro on a 2020 MY and it didn't start back up fully.

When I opened the penthouse the yellow wires going to the HV relay on the drivers side was not plugged in. As I could not find it easy enough to know if this was intentionally unplugged I left it unplugged before powering on. No joy, so, plugged it in, still no joy. I did realize this relay and the 12V one on the passenger side was not energizing via a Multi Meter. I did put the top back on (but didn't fully tighten the bolts).

I watched many Videos about it online. While Sandy's video is fairly sparse he does mention that the screws that hold on the communications connection are made a safety ground. So I made sure the screws were tight. I'm somewhat also sure this also happens on the part that can be flipped up inside the penthouse (screw completes a safety ground).

So if your not getting a 12V "generator" from the penthouse check all your bolts, make sure their in and tight.

if fixed mine.

I can confirm on mine the seat belts being missing didn't preclude it from starting (their being rebuilt).

Happy Tesling everyone

Reactions: WJ Park and kayak1
@Dimtrsu,

Did you resolve your issue?

I also have a 2022 salvage car, my contactors are closing when powering the car from a power supply, but DC-DC converter doesn't power on and the car doesn't go into drive or charge. Wondering if I should try replacing vcfront.

Thanks
no((( i'm still struggling.
Mine was able to charge with new pyrofuse.
If you have vc_front a192 error i think you should change or do smth with you vc_front module.
In my country i have found a man who can repair this modules without buying a new , but didnt found new modules all over the europe (
so now i'm still waiting ) a think next week i could tell you result.
but i think that vc_front must be changed because they have smthg like e-fuse that cuts 12v after collision, but why our contactors are closing i dont know...
maybe different software release, my cars wasnt updated from 2021...

Reactions: WJ Park
no((( i'm still struggling.
Mine was able to charge with new pyrofuse.
If you have vc_front a192 error i think you should change or do smth with you vc_front module.
In my country i have found a man who can repair this modules without buying a new , but didnt found new modules all over the europe (
so now i'm still waiting ) a think next week i could tell you result.
but i think that vc_front must be changed because they have smthg like e-fuse that cuts 12v after collision, but why our contactors are closing i dont know...
maybe different software release, my cars wasnt updated from 2021...
Thanks for this info, please keep us updated with your progress, thanks!

Hello everyone,

I also have the same issue with my car a salvage (Model Y, 2022), it has 12V Li-ion battery:

1671621342993.png

1- Replaced Pyro Fuse.
2- Replaced all deployed airbags.
3- Cleared crash memory from RCM.
4- Changed 12V Li-ion battery with new one from Tesla.

After clearing most alerts, the car still shows errors related to PCS,

I'm guessing that the VCFront eFuse is not willing to close for some reason and the circuit is kept open:

1671621189852.png

When I checked toolbox explaination of this alert:
1671621523417.png

I states that to clear the condition the VCFront should no longr detect low voltage power feed to the system.

Now when I tried to open VCFront, hoping I can investigate and maybe force eFuse to close, everything was glued together:

1671621718539.jpeg

Service documentation is so poor and toolbox articles are even worse.
Odin returns messages and status codes that you can't find explaination for online.

add to that, I can't find any power supply that can feed the car 15V-16V with 30A in the market as this is not a common voltage, so I had to add together multiple power sources, including the old battery which I had to saw open in order to bypass the mosfets and recharge the cells:

1671621811407.jpeg

Now I'm really struggling, my car won't accept to close eFuse to power up the PCS, and I don't know what to do with it.

Attachments

• 1671621790114.jpeg
    1671621790114.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 123
I believe you have to replace the vcfront. I will be replacing one on my car this week, will let you know whether it works for me, on my car I can’t even load the service mode - apparently because one of the power lines to the MCU is not live.

I believe you have to replace the vcfront. I will be replacing one on my car this week, will let you know whether it works for me, on my car I can’t even load the service mode - apparently because one of the power lines to the MCU is not live.
I think service mode can't be activated in NA unless you are within SC, as you have some sort of geofencing protection, you can use toolbox to activate service mode plus.

as for the VCFront, changing it might work, but that doesn't seem to be an ideal fix, there should be something that can set the eFuse to close again.

have you tried applying external LV power supply?

Hello everyone,

I also have the same issue with my car a salvage (Model Y, 2022), it has 12V Li-ion battery:

View attachment 887420

1- Replaced Pyro Fuse.
2- Replaced all deployed airbags.
3- Cleared crash memory from RCM.
4- Changed 12V Li-ion battery with new one from Tesla.

After clearing most alerts, the car still shows errors related to PCS,

I'm guessing that the VCFront eFuse is not willing to close for some reason and the circuit is kept open:

View attachment 887419

When I checked toolbox explaination of this alert:
View attachment 887429

I states that to clear the condition the VCFront should no longr detect low voltage power feed to the system.

Now when I tried to open VCFront, hoping I can investigate and maybe force eFuse to close, everything was glued together:

View attachment 887430

Service documentation is so poor and toolbox articles are even worse.
Odin returns messages and status codes that you can't find explaination for online.

add to that, I can't find any power supply that can feed the car 15V-16V with 30A in the market as this is not a common voltage, so I had to add together multiple power sources, including the old battery which I had to saw open in order to bypass the mosfets and recharge the cells:

View attachment 887433

Now I'm really struggling, my car won't accept to close eFuse to power up the PCS, and I don't know what to do with it.
Try to install the latest software update there is a new function… see below

Attachments

• 6A7AD36C-13AD-4786-99CF-DCD612D01419.jpeg
    6A7AD36C-13AD-4786-99CF-DCD612D01419.jpeg
    943.4 KB · Views: 127
Changing vcfront in my case made things worse - the car doesn't even turn on. The pumps run for a few seconds, then shut off, then after a few seconds repeat. I think there is a short somewhere and the vcfront auto fuses are kicking in.

With the original vcfront, the car would boot up, contactors would close, but I couldn't get it to enter into drive, to charge, or to enter the service mode. Software update would also fail. Kind of stuck now.