Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Car Owners Support Group.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a used tray complete and installed 16 5.3 kWh packs from 2016+ build. Plug and play right… or so I thought.
My understanding is that the master BMS board is married to the BMS boards on the individual modules, so you have to have everything matching from the original pack. (Maybe even as far as the order/placement of the modules in the pack.)

Software Update Required
If the car has a new enough firmware version you can do a software redeploy from the service menu.

Last edited:
My understanding is that the master BMS board is married to the BMS boards on the individual modules, so you have to have everything matching from the original pack. (Maybe even as far as the order/placement of the modules in the pack.)

If the car has a new enough firmware version you can do a software redeploy from the service menu.
Thanks for the insight, the BMS on the Tray I purchased is not married to the BNB’s on the the modules I installed. Do you think a redeploy would bring them in line together?

Hi @iconic, @wk057 is the expert on battery modules, but if I understand well what you did, you are potentially facing a real mess. It seems the battery modules are really picky about their neighbors, and not every module matches every module, even if they are nominally the same.

Yeah for sure! Have ready up on a lot from the massive contributors like @wk057. The modules all came from the same car and were all balanced and matched before installation. I didn’t replace just a few but all 16.

Reactions: M0rpH3x
Thanks for the insight, the BMS on the Tray I purchased is not married to the BNB’s on the the modules I installed. Do you think a redeploy would bring them in line together?
I don't think so, but @wk057 would be the one that knows for sure. (I'd have to search, but I sort of thought he said that some of the main BMS config is in read-only memory, so the only way to change it is to get a fresh blank BMS and program it. But I don't recall if that is only for the pack size/config or if that includes the assigned BMBs.)

I don't think so, but @wk057 would be the one that knows for sure. (I'd have to search, but I sort of thought he said that some of the main BMS config is in read-only memory, so the only way to change it is to get a fresh blank BMS and program it. But I don't recall if that is only for the pack size/config or if that includes the assigned BMBs.)
Really, I believe otherwise as many company’s offer pack upgrades no?

There are people that replace single modules. Although that usually ends up in disaster, it works for some time. All this tells me that you probably don’t need a blank BMS to replace them.
Yeah as far as I can tell, there is an amazing amount of interchangeability on Tesla products as they keep a lean production, therefore making the parts backwards and forwards compatible.

Nope. You can't swap BMBs between packs.

1685465602650.png

OTP = One Time Programable (usually implemented as an actual fuse in the chip that is irreversibly blown to set the bits.)

We've also had to come in behind other people claiming to be able to do upgrades/replacements/repairs and pick up the pieces of a disaster when they don't know what they're doing. Many times Tesla themselves won't even touch a car that's had such botched tampering occur, either.

For example, there's a not-documented procedure needed to be done to use certain v2.0 packs in cars originally equipped with a v1.x pack. If it's not done then you'll be stuck with several dead HV components the moment you do your first pedal-to-the-floor drive.

There's basically only two places I'm aware of who for sure have a clue on all of this, and we're one of them (057tech.com). And some free marketing for a friendly competitor, the other is @Recell

The BMS is extremely picky. There are a lot of things you can do to get things to work for one or two drives/charges. Heck, you could throw 16 different modules from 16 different cars into a pack and probably get one drive out of it if you at least half tried. But to properly handle things in a way that's reliable long term, things have to be done correctly... and there's no DIYers doing this, and pretty much every shop I've run across where people have taken their cars to have things done has royally screwed things up. The only people doing it correctly are the ones who've put in the years of effort to reverse engineer things appropriately, of which there aren't many.

Last edited:
Frustrated but still convinced I could find a replacement tray and associated components it continued on. I purchased a used tray complete and installed 16 5.3 kWh packs from 2016+ build. Plug and play right… or so I thought.
On top of what everyone else said, if u got BMBs/BMS from 2016+, i believe that would be either 90/100D.. so u would also need to change battery type in Gateway...
Its a lot easier to just get a used battery n change config (if diff pack) n be on ur way. Then sell off modules from ur bad pack if any still usable.

Reactions: iconic
Hey everyone, I am a first-time poster, but I have been reading and trying to learn as much as possible.

I have a Model S that was being repaired for me out of state, and the vehicle was taken in for the Supercharging Inspection on the 20th. The service ticket indicated that we wanted everything done to reinstate supercharging, and I called the service center to confirm that it was scheduled appropriately. The Model S passed inspection, and after the appointment, my mechanic told me it would take about a week to turn on supercharging.

Fast forward to yesterday, and there is still no supercharging. I asked for the invoice and saw that the service center only did the High Voltage Vehicle inspection. I called the service center, and they got the vehicle in this morning for the Fast Charge inspection. While I was on the phone with them, they confirmed it could take up to a week for the supercharging to be turned back on. In any normal circumstance, that would be fine, but I have a flight leaving in 36 hours so I can pick up the car and drive it back home.

I have read reports of people having the supercharging enabled when they picked it up, and I've seen reports of people having to wait up to a week or more. The service center states that they send all of the inspection information out of the service center to an 'engineer' who reviews the data and determines if the supercharging should be reinstated. My service center doesn't seem very knowledgeable about the process, and I'm trying to get this process wrapped up and addressed before I get on my flight. Driving 1,285 miles in 5 days on pubic level 2 chargers does not sound like an enjoyable experience.

My question is for those who had their supercharging reinstated. Can you share any information with me regarding getting the SC reenabled immediately? Did Tesla tell you how they did it or the process they had to go through? Are there any buzzwords or phrases I should bring up when I call the service center tomorrow to verify the work before I board my flight? I'd imagine it's the same process as someone who roots the MCU to change the internal code and then send that information to the "Tesla Super Charging Cloud".

Am I hoping for something that probably won't happen, or is this something that I can help the service center push through for my pick-up date?

I tagged some of the big players in this salvage thread, hoping you can offer insight into my time-sensitive situation.

@MP3Mike @wk057 @vcor @VegarHenriksen

I called the service center, and they got the vehicle in this morning for the Fast Charge inspection. While I was on the phone with them, they confirmed it could take up to a week for the supercharging to be turned back on. In any normal circumstance, that would be fine, but I have a flight leaving in 36 hours so I can pick up the car and drive it back home.
I thought the final step was for the Service Center to test that Supercharging actually worked. But maybe that is only at service centers that have an on-site Supercharger.

If they got it in this morning, did they let you know if it passed? If so, you should be able to just ask them if it is actually enabled before you get on your flight to pick it up.

I thought the final step was for the Service Center to test that Supercharging actually worked. But maybe that is only at service centers that have an on-site Supercharger.

If they got it in this morning, did they let you know if it passed? If so, you should be able to just ask them if it is actually enabled before you get on your flight to pick it up.
The service center is a massive warehouse center in St.Petersburg, Florida, but it was only opened earlier this year. I would assume they have at least one supercharger, and that part of the Fast Charging inspection would be verifying that the car supercharges, but I don't have a lot of faith in this service center.

It was dropped off this morning and checked in at 7 am. Around 1 pm my mechanic got an invoice saying the vehicle passed the inspection. I called around 4 pm to verify everything was done, but the automated system said the vehicle was still checked in for service. I couldn't get anyone on the phone and had to clock in for work.

My problem is that this service center is saying it can take up to a week to activate since they have to send the information out of the service center to an "engineer", but I spoke with two different representatives at the main Super Charging support call center who both told me that reinstating the supercharging is done completely in house at the service center and can be done quicker than one week.

skiddie, we need detailed error info, and for that you need to root your car.

And, this is a request to everyone who is rooted and running some version 19.* . If you're willing to help with a little project please DM me. No harm will come to your car.
Hello, I have a 2014 P85 running 2020.36 rooted

Using ScanMyTesla, I saw the avg battery temp at 125f/51.6c, at some point the car finally starting cooling the battery my entire 1.5 hours drive home, and when the batt reached 58f/14.4c (today was 87f/30.5c outside) the dash turned on limited regen and Turtle mode Power is reduced, but it still drove. After disconnecting and reconnecting HV and 12v, I'm getting

DI_f002_hwPhaseBgateDrive hidden [service]
DI_f072_gateDriveFaultCounter Rear motor disabled - OK to drive/Vehicle speed and power may be limited [customer service]
DI_w002_hwPhaseBgateDrive hidden [service]
DI_w072_gateDriveFaultCounter / [customer service]
DI_w108_stateTrans PULL OVER SAFELY/Exiting and re-entering vehicle may restore operation [customer service]

Anyone have any ideas? My PRND is red and switches from D back to P. According to @skiddie "before update 2020.4 this error can be reseted" I have messaged him to find out how he fixed it, but his profile says last visit in January.

Wow, all these ppl getting the High Voltage inspection passed. That does not happen here in Lynnwood, WA. In fact they've failed me so bad, even as I'm an expert, that no Tesla-certified body shop will now touch it. They even bothered to disable both my key fobs. Death sentence and a major lawsuit if I didn't really know what I was doing.

Fsck 'em. I used to defend Elon & Co, but never more. I've sold the car now, good riddance, and hello Mercedes.

Anyway, in case it matters to someone I've reconstructed my old Unofficial Tesla Tech wiki for historical reasons. I stopped updating it in 2020, since I don't care about Tesla anymore. To this day I am the only one to publish this info.

Last edited: