Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Model 3 and inability to receive support from Tesla for repair parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just purchased a Model 3 with light front damage from Geico Insurance. I am in the salvage business, so this is not new to me. However, what is new to me is the inability to receive support from Tesla for repair parts. This vehicle doesn't have any frame or structural damage. I do need front fenders, headlights, and bumper cover. This car didn't come with any FOB, or key cards either. Where do I turn from here? Can anyone help me obtain these things? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
IMG_6703.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nocturnal
Doing it early on yes as there are limited salvage vehicles, people are able to this with S’s more easily because salvage parts are more readily available.

Had a guy in a class of mine who bought 2 salvage S’s and then formed a LLC in MA so he could buy the Tesla service software. After parting out what he doesn’t need he’ll have a working S with ludicrous for very little cash. Had a blast asking him about the process.

That is brave of you, specially for tesla.

However, what is new to me is the inability to receive support from Tesla for repair parts.

Tesla changed their policies a while back and will now sell, non-restricted, parts to anyone even for salvage vehicles. They will also work on salvage vehicles. However, they won't work on anything related to the high-voltage system, until you have paid for, and passed, an HV inspection. (Costs about $500 last I heard.)

Unsupported or Salvaged Vehicle Policy

Tesla changed their policies a while back and will now sell, non-restricted, parts to anyone even for salvage vehicles. They will also work on salvage vehicles. However, they won't work on anything related to the high-voltage system, until you have paid for, and passed, an HV inspection. (Costs about $500 last I heard.)

Unsupported or Salvaged Vehicle Policy
You are correct. Except @GregMunch cannot buy any parts until he gets his title or registration in hand. No parts until you are on the Tesla account.

Doing it early on yes as there are limited salvage vehicles, people are able to this with S’s more easily because salvage parts are more readily available.

Had a guy in a class of mine who bought 2 salvage S’s and then formed a LLC in MA so he could buy the Tesla service software. After parting out what he doesn’t need he’ll have a working S with ludicrous for very little cash. Had a blast asking him about the process.