Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvaged Model 3 auction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As was the case with the first few Model S salvage auctions, this one for a 3 is likely to go for some outrageous amount. There was speculation that Tesla themselves bought the first few Model S that went to auction, although can't confirm that. It wouldn't surprise me if this Model 3 auction went for $40k or more.
I find the idea that Tesla bought the first few crashed Model Ses plausible.

A couple of decades ago I was in the Canadian army, posted to Germany. Our company spent a week on exercise with one of our sister regiments in the UK army. It was their first exercise with the then brand new Warrior Infantry Fighting Vehicle. Two of them were involved in a collision. They packed them onto flatbeds to ship them back to Britain, as it was the first real-world crash, and they wanted to study how they faired in the real world as opposed to crash tests.

Im not sure if it pertains to this Model 3, but some of the Model S's are going overseas. Theres gotta be a reason why Europe is willing to bid so high. Cheap labor? or high cost to purchase one?

The import taxes on a $30k wreck are a lot less than a full priced model... add in local repairs and I'm reasonably certain the total cost is less than buying direct new/used.

It's worse than I thought

2e08b3a8-33bb-43f5-95b6-1fe3716fb21d.JPG

95dfcff4-ef77-4800-9ef7-8b6c5557acd4.JPG

https://www.copart.com/lot/23330188/Photos

I just feel sorry for the folks who got their 3s totaled. Not just because it's their 3, but because it can take a month or two to get a build (I don't know if Tesla would let you show proof of a totaled 3 and jump into the front of the line to get a new one). Imagine waiting all that time for a 3, it gets totaled, and now you have to go to the back of the line and wait months and months more... With most other cars, you can get a very similar replacement pretty easily...

I just feel sorry for the folks who got their 3s totaled. Not just because it's their 3, but because it can take a month or two to get a build (I don't know if Tesla would let you show proof of a totaled 3 and jump into the front of the line to get a new one). Imagine waiting all that time for a 3, it gets totaled, and now you have to go to the back of the line and wait months and months more... With most other cars, you can get a very similar replacement pretty easily...
You won't jump in line.