Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Samsung T5 alternatives?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really don't get the obsession with SSD on this forum. Just get an SD card and SD card usb reader - make sure they're both a good brand (e.g. SanDisk).

It'll cost you £30-40 max depending on capacity.

This set up (plugged directly into USB port, not into a hub) has worked without issue for me for 3-4 weeks with sentry mode on 24 hours a day.

A modest sized (say 128GB) endurance (made for continuous security camera recording) SD card and reader will be more than adequate. imho, SSD is overkill for most so little or no benefit from any additional cost. Many a problem equally affects SSD's too.

Size of media has little bearing on amount of data you can record unless leaving vehicle with sentry 24/7 for several weeks - your battery will significantly deplete if not plugged in so not as useful as it may first sound. Its not like most dashcams which save everything. TeslaCam is much more selective and when driving, saved clips need to be proactively triggered to prevent them being overwritten in a short period of time.

Reactions: bhav
Now that’s interesting! From reading it, it sounds like all the ports are data enabled, which might mean it’s a proper hub, rather than a splitter.

I’ll email them to find out :)

F969A890-4C0E-4FE9-A2A0-FD59461A2FA2.jpeg

Seems that it’s the proper job, one way to find out :)

• Helpful
Reactions: Jason71
Delivery via truck on the old silk road?

I think it's more like the old silk rail...

The Yiwu – London Railway Line is a freight railway route from Yiwu, China, to London, United Kingdom, covering a distance of roughly 12,000 km (7,500 miles). ... It is one of several long distance freight railway routes from China to Europe on the "New Eurasian Land Bridge"

Yiwu–London railway line - Wikipedia

However, while the journey may only take 18 days, as a number of us here have discovered, the goods on board seem to wander around the central plains of Eurasia for weeks on end.

I really don't get the obsession with SSD on this forum. Just get an SD card and SD card usb reader - make sure they're both a good brand (e.g. SanDisk).

It'll cost you £30-40 max depending on capacity.

This set up (plugged directly into USB port, not into a hub) has worked without issue for me for 3-4 weeks with sentry mode on 24 hours a day.
I did that, I think after your recommendation on another thread. 200gb card and had been working well all for around £30.
Wish they'd update the app so could get sentry alerts and view the footage.

Reactions: bhav
I did that, I think after your recommendation on another thread. 200gb card and had been working well all for around £30.
Wish they'd update the app so could get sentry alerts and view the footage.
Agreed, I really can't be bothered to sit through the sentry events when I get back in the car given I'm usually trying to get somewhere! But wouldn't mind browsing through when notified or whenever I have some time!

I don't see any specs for the number of times that it can be overwritten or number of hours video stored. That is where Endurance SD cards and SSD cards benefit. They will remain robust for longer periods of time in a scenario where more common USB devices are not designed for.

At 4MB/sec, TeslaCam will write a whole 64GB around every 4 hours. If the device can only write (program/erase) ~300-1000 times, thats a few months to 6 months worth of recording if used 24/7. An endurance card of same size (64GB - I personally went for 128GB) should give around 5000 hours (the data rate of TeslaCam is similar to HD video), which is 7 months. That may not sound much more than 6 months on a USB drive. But most standard USB drives will not reliably write 1000 times, and many will be closer to 300 times. Without knowing the specs, its a guessing game. But with an Endurance card, you have the expected numbers to work with.

Increase the drive size of the endurance to 128MB, its 14 months expected life span. If you only use sentry 50% of the time (we use ours less than that), then its over 2-1/4 years. Its a commodity item, so thats under £15/year if you replace every 2 years before it starts to fail. A solid state drive *will fail*, so you need to pre-empt that. And importantly, that failure may not be obvious until an attempt is made to access the footage. So knowing how long to reasonably expect the device to last is imho important. That will allow the media to be replaced before it would normally be expected fail.

In same scenario, with a standard USB drive of unknown write cycles (not all memory technology is equal), you would need to replace every 6 months to be in same position. SSD should last longer again, but without knowing expected numbers, its an unknown when problems may occur. A 5 year SSD lifespan will not have that lifespan if constantly overwriting 24/7. At some point, the expected >500 program/erase cycles will be exceeded. Will a SSD last longer than an endurance SD card? Probably. By how much? Totally unknown without knowing the numbers.

Maths and personal usage patterns and preferences will dictate what works best for an individual. Without knowing that, its a crap shoot. And thats before adding in the other unknowns that TeslaCam brings to the party.

I personally treat the media drive as a commodity item. It sits better with me discarding a £20-30 SD card every 3-4 years (I did my maths) than a more expensive SSD.