Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Samsung to build HW5 chip for Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"The chips, to be manufactured on Samsung’s 4-nanometer node, will go into Tesla’s Hardware 5 (HW 5.0) computers, which the EV maker plans to mass-produce three to four years from now, industry officials said on Tuesday."

If reporting is accurate, HW5 will start production in 3-4 years.

13137845625_7a9e0fb93c_b.jpg

"Samsung Exynos (edited)" by Honou is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Out of curiosity what is the fab size of HW3 and HW4 chips? Usually automotive grade chips are made using standard designs in older fabs to save costs but since Tesla's are proprietary (also are they ARM architecture?) are they made on newer/smaller fabs like maybe 10nm/HW3 to 5nm/HW4?

Reactions: APotatoGod
Every time I see an improvement like this, it reminds me how old I am.
Well 1 to 2nm is got to be about the limit since your are getting into the limits of atoms. Remember clock speed used to be THE measurement thing for CPU's and that was supplanted by the number of cores and GPU's. So we will probably see some other shift since we are reaching the limit of size.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Every time I see an improvement like this, it reminds me how old I am.
I remember sitting at lunch in the early 1980s, a new engineer amongst the seasoned veterans at the table. Some remark came up about vacuum tube circuits.

I mentioned that in my courses, I had only one lecture hour on vacuum tubes, and that an impromptu one, only at the request of the students.

An older engineer sitting across from me slumped down a little, and said that when he went to college he had only one lecture hour on transistors.

• Funny
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I remember sitting at lunch in the early 1980s, a new engineer amongst the seasoned veterans at the table. Some remark came up about vacuum tube circuits.

I mentioned that in my courses, I had only one lecture hour on vacuum tubes, and that an impromptu one, only at the request of the students.

An older engineer sitting across from me slumped down a little, and said that when he went to college he had only one lecture hour on transistors.
Next thing you know you are going to say Gen Z can't even tell time on an analog clock. 🤣