Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Diego service center...destroyed my window

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think you should expect Tesla to compensate you for a coating that you applied to the seats that was not applied originally at the factory by Tesla. Their obligation to fix parts under warranty does not extend to anything you add to those parts at your own expense. I certainly wouldn't expect that.

Yes, I made that exact point myself:

I brought this up exactly because it is such a gray area. One can make solid arguments on either side of the issue.

On the customer side, one would argue that something like tint, or leather protection, is a perfectly reasonable thing to have applied, and if a defect in manufacturing causes the part to which it was applied to require replacement under warranty, the company and not the customer should be responsible for replacing the aftermarket improvements as well.

On the company side the argument would be that the company is replacing the original failed piece of equipment, but that anything done to that equipment after delivery is not the company's responsibility.

My plan with my seat is to try to find out if the repair can be done by replacing just the base, as someone suggested was done in their case. I'm not sure if the base includes any leather or if it is beneath the leather, but in any case, there would be less leather to re-treat than if the entire seat were to be replaced. I'll then ask my SC about the re-treatment cost, but I will completely understand if that's on me. To be honest, the cost isn't even the main issue. It's more an issue about the inconvenience, as the detailer that did this for me is a couple of hours away. Ordinarily I try to bunch things with visits there, but I'll want to have the new seat treated as soon as possible after receiving it, so that may not be possible, which will require a special trip. The actual out of pocket cost is trivial as compared to that.