Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sanity check: Going from 75D Ap2 to 90D Ap1?

What car should I go with?

• 75D

Votes: 28 51.9%
  • 90D

Votes: 26 48.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm about to sell my Model S 75D and buy a Model S 90D but I feel I need to do a sanity check first.

Specs:

75D:
Price: $101k (was offered $90k from Tesla if I ordered a new 75D)
Build month March -17
Midnight silver
Light brown interior
Panorama roof
19" Slipstreams
Coil suspension
Lacks electric tailgate operation
AP2
Odometer: 840 miles (1350 km)
EPA Range: 259 miles/417 km
0-100 km/h: 5.4 sec (uncorkable)

90D
Price: $107k
Build month September -16
Multi Coat Red
Black interior
Panorama roof
Dark grey 21" Turbines
Premium package
Ultra HiFi
Air suspension
Professionally tinted rear windows
AP1
Odometer: 3100 miles (5000 km)
EPA Range: 294 miles/473 km
0-100 km/h: 4,4 sec

I got mine in June and it was used a as a test drive vehicle at Tesla for the first 200 miles.

Reasons for making the swap:

* I think my midnight silver/light brown color scheme makes the car look dull and a bit too "mature" for my taste. I had a red Model S as a loaner and really fell in love with the color. Not to mention how much better the 21"s looks compared to slipstreams. (sure I could buy 21"s for mine but they are EXPENSIVE even as second hand.)
* I am very unhappy about not getting the uncorking. Sure, I could wait and see if it changes but...
* I happen to think that AP1 is better than AP2 and probably will be for quite some time yet. I don't believe in FSD during the time I will own this car anyway and AP1 seems to do what I would like the car to be able to do. Nothing more, nothing less.
* I will appreciate ultra hifi, air suspension, nicer materials in the interior, electric tailgate operation but it's really not something I MUST have. It's nice though.
* I will also appreciated the extra range even if I don't really need it. But for some of my routes it will make a slight difference. One longer stop instead of three shorter stops to our summer house and stuff like that...

On the downside I get an older car with more miles on it. It's also an unknown to me as I don't know if it's littered with problems. My car is working well except front parking sensors who will stop functioning every time it's raining... I know what I have but not what I'm getting.

Get the 90D.
More range and looks the way you like.
Even if the 75D is uncorked the 90D is just as fast (fractionally faster).
AP1 is fine for the freeway and stop/start traffic.
In 5 years you can trade for a new AP3 car.

I think you're nuts on the sanity check scale. AP1 and AP2 are basically on par now, and the only way is up. (Yes, I know, wipers etc)

Thanks! :) But for me the lane keeping assistant is more of a gimmick than something I use "for real". Seems AP1 is still better though. Adjacent lanes, auto wipers, camera recognition of speed signs etc... Maybe AP2 will be able to do the same one day but self driving? No way.

Thanks! :) But for me the lane keeping assistant is more of a gimmick than something I use "for real". Seems AP1 is still better though. Adjacent lanes, auto wipers, camera recognition of speed signs etc... Maybe AP2 will be able to do the same one day but self driving? No way.
Agreed, but I think that AP2 will shortly become enhanced. I have a feeling that with the new head of AP, Tesla are holding their cards to their chests. Overnight we will see a big AI build downloaded to cars which will transform the AP experience.

Agreed, but I think that AP2 will shortly become enhanced. I have a feeling that with the new head of AP, Tesla are holding their cards to their chests. Overnight we will see a big AI build downloaded to cars which will transform the AP experience.

Yes, it's kind of interesting to follow the AP2 and I will miss speculatio about it's future and stuff. But the lease is out in less than 2 years on the 90D (I will take over an existing contract) and by then I hope there are more options than Tesla to choose from. Hello Porsche Mission e! :)

I have a 2016, pre-refresh, S90D. I use TACC all of the time. I "play" with auto steer, when I am bored, to see how far it goes before I have to force an abort. I don't think I have made it two miles yet. The roads here are hilly and curvy. I have no interest in full self driving. IMHO that is not going to work until ALL of the cars on the road can communicate directly with each other. Consider a 4 way stop sign intersection where all cars arrive at the same time. Interconnected cars can instantly vote on which one goes first.

I have a 2016, pre-refresh, S90D. I use TACC all of the time. I "play" with auto steer, when I am bored, to see how far it goes before I have to force an abort. I don't think I have made it two miles yet. The roads here are hilly and curvy. I have no interest in full self driving. IMHO that is not going to work until ALL of the cars on the road can communicate directly with each other. Consider a 4 way stop sign intersection where all cars arrive at the same time. Interconnected cars can instantly vote on which one goes first.

Exactly, there's no way FSD will work anytime soon and that makes the AP2 kind of pointless from my perspective.

Keep your car and save your money. The minute you get the 90D there will be a new 150D with the way Tesla keeps changing. I would wait as long as you can before making any changes.

I don't think there will be a 150D. It wouldn't be very eco friendly to drive around with massive batteries when you typically don't use more than a fraction of it in your everyday commute. The car would also be heavier than it needs to be. I think 100 kWh is more than enough for almost anyone. That's like 5 hours of continuous driving. Woudn't you want to stop for some food, go to the bathroom or something after 5 hours?

Anyway, I hope I'm not throwing the money away as I think/hope that the 90D will always be more valuable than the 75D. But you can never be certain. Maybe the AP2 cars really can do FSD? (even though I can't see how)

I'm confused.

What is this costing you? I would think you would be losing a bundle selling the 75D (which absolutely is uncorkable per Tesla).

There is no sanity check if you are going to be unhappy with the 75D, $25k or so is probably worth it.

I'm confused.

What is this costing you? I would think you would be losing a bundle selling the 75D (which absolutely is uncorkable per Tesla).

There is no sanity check if you are going to be unhappy with the 75D, $25k or so is probably worth it.

I'm selling mine for $101k and buying the slightly older 90D for $107k. Difference is $6k. I think I will get most of the $6k back when I sell it. (Ie, I think the 90D will stay more valuable than the 75D)

The deal is as good as done now. I'm taking the plunge. :D

You are getting exactly my car except with 21" wheels. I had some camera issues that would disable AP occasionally but after they replaced the camera I've had no problems. AP1 has been great for long trips. It's really all I need. You get air, UHF, and Premium too. I think it will improve your driving experience over the 70D. You even get the rear cup holders and extra USB ports. I think it's a bargain for $6,000.

Uncorking issue is temporary in my view - you should get it eventually.

Color is a big factor for you it looks like - and that reason can be good enough to change cars - it’s only 6K diff for a major upgrade (except AP1).

I would do it, if I were you, for color reason alone. If I asked my kids today, they would instantly approve :), they don’t like my white and bend their necks regularly to look at a Red passing by - lol.

As for my reason for a future MS upgrade for myself: ultracharging (<15mins to get 200miles). I think that might be 3-5yrs down the line and I will see then. FSD when delivered (likely 3-5yrs too, with Govt approval) might be a tempting reason to upgrade too. If timed correctly, both might happen in 4yrs time and time would be ripe then for an upgrade. Just my reasons to upgrade....

Dude hold the phone, you are DEFINITELY getting the uncorking if the build date was March 2017.

If you really want to burn some cash over a color I guess that's alright... But man, midnight silver is a beautiful color and nothing to worry about!

Can't argue with the color thing. When you walk up to your car, you know if you are delighted or just meh. That has a huge value to me (I also have the red :) )

On the AP1 side, I use that daily and I depend on it. I protect myself from potential mistakes but they are extremely rare. It has fundamentally changed my quality of life. I pay attention to AP2 progress...but so far I think there is a desire to declare it equal despite errors that make it much less reliable. If the level of trust is low enough that it requires MORE attention than just driving myself, the system has essentially zero or negative value.

Many people have had this feeling since December last year. Those who made purchase decisions (e.g. trade-in AP1 for AP2) based on that feeling are either disappointed or in denial. With Tesla, never make decisions on a feeling something is coming soon, as soon in Tesla terms means eventually or never.

PS>AP2 parity to AP1 may be achieved differently, by moving the AP2 algorithms to AP1. I don't use my AP1 much, but recently used it on a clear stretch of a highway where it used to work great, yet now it was bouncing between the lane markers and trying to kiss a semi in the adjacent lane like the AP2 stories I read here. My first thought was, "great, they consolidated their codebase", second thought was "oh, I guess that's one way to claim parity between AP1 and AP2" ;)

• Funny
Reactions: phaduman