Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Satnav seems unaware of some roundabout exits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Made an hour-long journey to somewhere new yesterday.

On a couple of occasions, the satnav told me to "take the first exit" at roundabouts where I actually was meant to take the second exit. A quick glance at the screen confirmed that the satnav thought the first exit was straight ahead, but both times the first exit was a definite left.

Seemed a bit odd. Presumably it could've been due to layout changes but I would've thought the map data would be relatively up-to-date.

It's seemed to me that it sometimes treats one-way entrances to a roundabout as an exit and included in the count, and sometimes it seems to be counting the other way (anticlockwise, as in left-hand-drive countries)

YES. Thank God, it's not just me.
The idea of it counting for LHD has crossed my mind a couple of times but it doesn't seem consistent. I also forgot to put it on when navigating the Magic Roundabout in Swindon earlier this month, to see how it handled that.

It also doesn't seem to know its left from its right sometimes - again inconsistent. "Your destination is on your left" when it is on your right - and its not just Fleet services.

That one does seem likely to be map inaccuracy - discrepancy between where the destination has been resolved to by Google and where the on-board map thinks the road actually is. My experience seems to be that it's consistent (right or wrong) for a given destination.

The roundabout one doesn't seem to be the map as such - usually the map display shows the exits perfectly, just inconsistent with what the voice was saying. At some roundabouts it has a reasonable excuse, as it's ambiguous whether it should count "exits" that you can't turn into - obvious ones like exit slip-roads that are no-entry, or less obvious ones like laybys, farm tracks, weighbridges etc that are accessed from the roundabout but not really roads. However, I've recently have it give the wrong number on completely standard crossroad style roundabouts where there's no possible ambiguity.

Possibly the map data has labeling on the exits to fix the ambiguous case and the errors are where it is mis-labelled? Or else the voice direction just has bugs in interpreting the map.

The third category of unheplful directions is "not a bug" - the ones where it says "bear left", which make sense if you start thinking of it as meaning "don't accidentally turn right". Most cases of "bear left"/"bear right" actually need you to go roughly straight on and the message is just to warn you not to get in a lane for a turn into a relatively major diverging route. Entry into Cambridge from the M11/A10 is a classic case - there's a set of traffic lights with a major right turn for the road going to the hospital and a slip road slightly left of straight for going into the park-and-ride. If you are heading straight on, the nav will tell you to "bear left" to avoid taking the right turn to the hospital (which you weren't likely to take accidentally as it's a 90-degree turn), and taken literally that will cause you to end up in the park-and-ride which is just the sort of turn that in normal english someone would tell you to "bear left" into.

Actually, I've come to treat all voice directions simply to mean "now would be a good time to look at the map display", as that almost always makes the actual manoeuvre clear.

No help, but I use car SatNav on mute, for the map, and Waze on my phone for spoken directions. Waze gets "instant" updates for brand new roads (i.e. as soon as it sees cars appearing to drive across a ploughed field!!), usually has uncannily accurate journey time, allowing for current traffic, and all the crowd sourced data for Roadworks, Police, traffic holdups and so on.

But Waze will happily take me wrong-way-around-M25 if traffic is bad on QE2 bridge ... blissfully unaware of any need to consider "Range"

• Informative
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
As I understand it, Tesla uses a combination of map providers, and the spoken/turn-by-turn directions don’t actually use google maps, those are for incar visual display only.

to test that theory, has anyone used the google maps app for directions and compared the instructions to Tesla in-car equivalents ?

Picking up on this as its been raised on the "UK issues thread"

My observation is its counting on and off roads where its a dual carriage way - ie a dual carriageway at exit one would effectively count as 2 even though you can't use the second one as its the road joining the roundabout. If there's no central division, it counts fine. I might need to try it again, Covid has meant I've not used nav for probably year.

On a related note, I wish it used yards and not feet

Picking up on this as its been raised on the "UK issues thread"

My observation is its counting on and off roads where its a dual carriage way - ie a dual carriageway at exit one would effectively count as 2 even though you can't use the second one as its the road joining the roundabout. If there's no central division, it counts fine. I might need to try it again, Covid has meant I've not used nav for probably year.

On a related note, I wish it used yards and not feet

Go for meters, then. Almost the same ;-)

Had this literally today. Travelling clockwise on the M25 took the Staines exit. Said to take the first exit and the graphic showed a sharp left turn. Duly followed the exit to Wrasbury and it then immediately made me do a I turn at the next roundabout and back to the original roundabout said take the 3rd exit (would have been the 4th from my original direction)