Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Save mirror position for reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the model 3 meant to save the mirror position in reverse (with auto tilt on)? I've tried the following:
1. go into reverse
2. adjust mirror
3. click save on profile

everytime i go back to reverse the mirrors return to the same position before i did the steps above....
crazy thing is I thought I saved the position of the mirror when I first got the car.

Things I've tried:
- steering button reset
- create new profile

Reactions: Gasaraki
From the Model 3 manual:

Mirror Auto Tilt​

Both exterior mirrors can automatically tilt downward when Model 3 is shifted into Reverse. When you shift back into any other gear, the mirrors return to their normal upward position.
To turn this feature on or off, touch Controls > Quick Controls > Mirrors > Mirror Auto Tilt. To adjust the position of the mirrors while they are tilted, adjust the mirrors when Model 3 is shifted into Reverse. To save the setting to your driver profile, touch Save when prompted.

I hope this helps.

You're right. I never tried this feature but tested it a minute ago to see if it works. If mirror tilt is activated, the mirrors will fold and I can adjust and save the tilted position but they won't go back to that saved position if I shift from drive to reverse again. They just tilt down to their default "tilt down" position.
Sorry, I can't help then. Seems like a software bug to me. I'd open a ticket and see what happens.

I wonder if the tilted down position is the same for everyone or if it's just lowering vertically from your personal position. I would assume the latter, which I would think would work well enough for everyone to not require persisting the lowered position. I mean, you've adjusted the "left-right" for normal driving based on your head position, that part should still be okay when looking towards the floor. With the tilting down, everyone should roughly see the floor. I guess that assumes the normal mirror position where you slightly see your car's side.
I could imagine that's how they coded it. Saving an alternate position in the settings wouldn't be a bad thing, but it would mean that each time you change your mirror positions for driving, you have a second set of settings to adjust. With the current way, one setting is enough and the other is "relative" to the driving setting. At least that's my understanding.

That makes a lot of sense to me, however I just tried and it"s not how it works. The vertical position doesn't get saved either. I went through the procedure again, tilted the mirrors up while in reverse with mirror tilt active and then saved it in my profile. The mirrors went back to the correct position when I shifted to drive and then down again in reverse.

Ouch, I hope this is just a bug and not deliberate. I assumed the 3 would do this, chalk up one more little thing that works better in my old S. I'll be filing a bug via my upcoming service appointment.

Is the model 3 meant to save the mirror position in reverse (with auto tilt on)? I've tried the following:
1. go into reverse
2. adjust mirror
3. click save on profile

everytime i go back to reverse the mirrors return to the same position before i did the steps above....
crazy thing is I thought I saved the position of the mirror when I first got the car.

Things I've tried:
- steering button reset
- create new profile
I've been able to set the reversing mirror position on my Model 3 following these steps in the past. It could be that this is a bug in the current software version.

I swear this worked for me when I bought my first Model 3 in March 2018. But at some point very quickly thereafter (definitely within a few months) it stopped working and other people online confirmed it didn't work for them either. As far as I know it's never worked since. I assume it was removed from the software for some reason.