Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saving w/ Telsa or Spend more for service/warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
25 years seems 2.5x better than 10 years on the warranty but again you've gotta game theory yourself here. What's the chance and loss if the entire system fails 10 years and 1 days after PTO? What's the likelihood that tech has moved on greatly since then anyways. What's the likelihood of a local installer coming out to fix an issue 24 years after an install?

Agreed. Even big 30-year-old solar installers are failing these days. Think of space launches before and after Space X. Solar will also change.

I'm going through the same exact process. I paid the $100 and got a Solar Layout that was the opposite of what most other providers had recommended. More panels on the North side then South where I'd have the most exposure to sun. I was recommended the medium size at 8.16kw which were 24 panels producing 7.4kw annually. When I pushed back on the layout and gave them a copy of the suggested layout, they came back relatively quickly and provided a redesigned layout. The new layout conformed to my request, all panels facing south. However, they reduced the size to 6.8kw, 20 panels, with estimated production of 8.4kw annually. What a difference. Lower cost, greater output.

My only concern is the warranty right now. Though the panel's data sheet shows 25 year product and performance warranty, my solar agreement says 'minimum of 12 years' workmanship warranty and 25 years performance. I asked Tesla to update agreement to match this data sheet at 25 years and they refused to make any updates. Not sure if the spec sheet of the Q-cell G6+ is only alluding to the performance warranty. The other issue I have is that my Solar Layout shows the G6+ panels, but when I asked my rep which panels I'll be receiving, she said the G8. They both show pretty much the same specs, but G6+ has he 25 year warranty.

Interesting that they're calling out G8 panels. Others on here have all had G6+ installed. Another installed told me the G8 panel is Q-Cell's commercial panel and is only sold in massive quantities. This may be how Telsa is dropping the prices so much.

Love that your changed requires less panels and produces you more energy!