Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saw the Model 3 at Monterey car week....thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I imagine it'll be a setting either in the car or phone app about unlock driver only or all doors upon approach. Most of my newer cars have allowed this configuration.
Yes, but try that with two kids in tow, or bags of groceries, or whatever. Also, if you are in a sketchy parking garage, you want to be aware of your surroundings, not focused on your phone, presuming you even have a cell signal. The car setting has to be something you set and leave static, and if it's static, it needs to be in the "safety first" setting (driver only).

On the MS to unlock the passenger door you can depress the stalk button when in park. It use to be two presses but as of this latest software update one press works now for us.
Doesn't the key fob work for this too? I thought I read somewhere that you can press on it somewhere to unlock all. The stalk thing wouldn't seem any better, if even as good, as tapping the console icon.

Here are some more pics and ones that blur that which needs to be blurred. (Old UMC pictured)
DSCN1666 (Large).JPG
DSCN1667 (Large).JPG
DSCN1661 (Large).JPG
DSCN1675 (Large).JPG
DSCN1663 (Large).JPG
DSCN1679 (Large).JPG
DSCN1660 (Large).JPG

Attachments

• DSCN1658 (Large).JPG
    DSCN1658 (Large).JPG
    285.7 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCN1662 (Large).JPG
    DSCN1662 (Large).JPG
    237.8 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN1665 (Large).JPG
    DSCN1665 (Large).JPG
    357.3 KB · Views: 114
Doesn't the key fob work for this too? I thought I read somewhere that you can press on it somewhere to unlock all. The stalk thing wouldn't seem any better, if even as good, as tapping the console icon.

Yes, double click once opens driver's door; a second double click will open all with the fob. If you are out of the car the fob is nice, when I'm parked and in the driver's seat and my passenger approaches their door and if my hands are on the wheel already, I find the stalk is closer and easy to use. If you're already doing something on the screen like changing music or such, then the icon is just a reach further. Nice to have the choice I guess.

Last edited:
Hey did they add "pouches" to the back of the front seats for rear passengers' use? With the coat hooks, lit vanity mirror, side pockets they really geared the car to the average joe user out there. While I initially missed them in our MS I've come to like the clean uncluttered look a lot. Didn't think I would.

Last edited:
Yes, double click once opens driver's door; a second double click will open all with the fob. If you are out of the car the fob is nice, when I'm parked and in the driver's seat and my passenger approaches their door and if my hands are on the wheel already, I find the stalk is closer and easy to use. If you're already doing something on the screen like changing music or such, then the icon is just a reach further. Nice to have the choice I guess.
Ok perfect. For the Model S, my wife would be happy.

Now, for the Model 3, how's this going to work? No fob (at least not one with buttons)...

If anyone happens to get within tackling distance of an Model 3 owner, could you ask?

I think the driver's side interior open the door button could be used as a master unlock/lock button. If the driver's side door is open, pressing that button once would unlock all doors that were still locked, a second press would lock all doors, third press would re-unlock, etc. If the driver's side door is closed, the button is just a regular open the door button. I assume the car locks all doors automatically, if you shift into D or R.

Reactions: WarpedOne
dscn1660-large-jpg.243002

I love this picture, because it really lets me envision what my backseat will look like after my 5 year old is in it for 10 seconds...
But seriously, I kinda like all the dirt and dust on the interior, it reminds me tha tit's a REAL CAR, and not just an electric Californian unicorn I see on the internet. February-April can't come quick enough!!!!
Thanks @355rockit !

Every time I see that charging port size I think, "What did they make it so big for?"

Wonder if they're going to be putting a CCS combo there for European models. Or whether it's designed with next-gen connectors in mind, to be replaced as needed. Normally Tesla doesn't make things like that any bigger than they need to. Compare, M3:

dscn1661-large-jpg.243003

MS:
tesla-model-s-charge-port-resized-600.png

Pretty significant alteration, no? There has to be a reason for it.

Sorry for the mis-spelling. S/b "where the stitching meets the seat." Is there an edit feature on posts?

Yes, but it only lasts for an hour. Also, I don't see what you're talking about.

Reactions: SteveG3
10% gain is substantial. The concern now is whether the stated range from Tesla includes the aero wheels. Upgrading to the 19" wheels could make range 198 or 279 depending on the battery you choose, which sounds less impressive missing the 200 and 300 mile marks

I was disappointed not seeing a Model 3 during Monterey Car Week. On Sunday we were headed to Gusto Italian restaurant in Seaside (awesome pizza) and found that there was a Tesla Service Center close-by. I thought it would be good to do a last ditch effort to maybe see a model 3. When we entered the parking lot we saw a red Model 3 being charged. I went up to the owner and asked if I can take pics. He let me sit in the car. It has very comfy seats. The interior is simple, but elegant. He had the 18" rims with aero covers. He said that he went with Aero since he wants more mileage and said the gain is ~10%. He also confirmed that the aero were covers and noted TMC post regarding the wheels w/o covers. He showed me the new UMC that is being tested. He also had the Model S UMC in the trunk. I promised not to post pics of the new UMC. It turns out the gentleman who was so nice and proud owner of the Model 3 (#18) is the VP of Engineering for Tesla. Very nice guy and he made my day. I returned from Monterey today happy that I fulfilled all my goals for car week.

View attachment 242942
View attachment 242944 View attachment 242945

I love this picture, because it really lets me envision what my backseat will look like after my 5 year old is in it for 10 seconds...
But seriously, I kinda like all the dirt and dust on the interior, it reminds me tha tit's a REAL CAR, and not just an electric Californian unicorn I see on the internet. February-April can't come quick enough!!!!
Thanks @355rockit !

The owner said that he has some younger kids which is why back seat area needs some cleaning.