Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saw the Model 3 at Monterey car week....thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. His prediction was 35k base price. Will be achieved in Nov. 25% gross margin in 2018. Your statement that it will be non-profitable is shall we say "Ludicrous".

The auto industry is at 13.02% gross profit 2Q 2017. Pre-tax net 4.21%. TTM is significantly lower though.

Well, let's hope you're right, that we've hit the tipping point where it's more profitable to make EVs than ICE vehicles. There is no basis to support this, but you can spend words right?

Reactions: transpondster
  • Informative
Reactions: Lunarx
We do know that we will reach that point though:

Volkswagen Says Building Electric Car May Cost Manufacturing Jobs - Gas 2

"Internal combustion engines requires 10x the amount of workers compared to electric motors". A 7-speed automatic gearbox probably doesn't help either.

Yes, it is likely EV powertrains will be cheaper than ICE powertrain in the future. They are not right now though.
EVs are the future, and it has nothing to do with environmental concerns. They are a superior propulsion method, and as costs come down, they will consume more and more of ICE power options.

I was disappointed not seeing a Model 3 during Monterey Car Week. On Sunday we were headed to Gusto Italian restaurant in Seaside (awesome pizza) and found that there was a Tesla Service Center close-by. I thought it would be good to do a last ditch effort to maybe see a model 3. When we entered the parking lot we saw a red Model 3 being charged. I went up to the owner and asked if I can take pics. He let me sit in the car. It has very comfy seats. The interior is simple, but elegant. He had the 18" rims with aero covers. He said that he went with Aero since he wants more mileage and said the gain is ~10%. He also confirmed that the aero were covers and noted TMC post regarding the wheels w/o covers. He showed me the new UMC that is being tested. He also had the Model S UMC in the trunk. I promised not to post pics of the new UMC. It turns out the gentleman who was so nice and proud owner of the Model 3 (#18) is the VP of Engineering for Tesla. Very nice guy and he made my day. I returned from Monterey today happy that I fulfilled all my goals for car week.

DSCN1654 (Large).JPG

DSCN1662 (Large).JPG
DSCN1665 (Large).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
My theory: It's a problem of maintaining headroom while still giving the car pleasingly "sleek" proportions. The Teslas need room in the floor for the battery pack, which probably raises the floor of the interior cabin by a few inches compared to an ICE car. In order to maintain good headroom, the designers had to find a way to compensate for that somehow by either raising the roof as well or making it thinner. The Model S gets away with a higher roof because it is also a very wide and long car, so it maintains the sleek proportions. For the 3, they decided to make the roof thinner over the rear seats by making it glass.

Per my post above... my buddy who is 6' 2" sat in the back seat and said it was quite comfortable and had enough headroom.

I was disappointed not seeing a Model 3 during Monterey Car Week. On Sunday we were headed to Gusto Italian restaurant in Seaside (awesome pizza) and found that there was a Tesla Service Center close-by. I thought it would be good to do a last ditch effort to maybe see a model 3. When we entered the parking lot we saw a red Model 3 being charged. I went up to the owner and asked if I can take pics. He let me sit in the car. It has very comfy seats. The interior is simple, but elegant. He had the 18" rims with aero covers. He said that he went with Aero since he wants more mileage and said the gain is ~10%. He also confirmed that the aero were covers and noted TMC post regarding the wheels w/o covers. He showed me the new UMC that is being tested. He also had the Model S UMC in the trunk. I promised not to post pics of the new UMC. It turns out the gentleman who was so nice and proud owner of the Model 3 (#18) is the VP of Engineering for Tesla. Very nice guy and he made my day. I returned from Monterey today happy that I fulfilled all my goals for car week.

View attachment 242942

View attachment 242943 View attachment 242944 View attachment 242945
Wow super lucky!!

Reactions: Red Sage

View attachment 242942

Very cool! Thanks for sharing that....great interior shots.... like the red with the aeros (although I'm actually sticking with the black w/ aeros).
I've seen the aeros impact on range was closer to 3% (somewhere in these posts) ...but if he is saying it could be as much as 10% that's higher than I would've expected. Obviously there are variables at play here but 10% is pretty significant.

I went up to the owner and asked if I can take pics. He let me sit in the car. It has very comfy seats. The interior is simple, but elegant. ..snip...

View attachment 242945
Uh oh... So, I presume this is a picture of the driver's door. Note 5 switches. One for opening the driver's door, 4 for the windows. So, if one has the car programmed to ONLY unlock the driver's door when approaching the car (as a general safety measure to prevent a bad person hiding on the passenger side from getting in), how does one unlock the passenger door if they actually want to?

Didn't we solve this, like, 30 years ago, with an all-doors lock/unlock switch on the door? Or, does one have to climb into the car, and fiddle with the center display panel? Maybe the driver's door opener button doubles as an all-unlock if pressed twice? Anybody have any insight into this?

Uh oh... So, I presume this is a picture of the driver's door. Note 5 switches. One for opening the driver's door, 4 for the windows. So, if one has the car programmed to ONLY unlock the driver's door when approaching the car (as a general safety measure to prevent a bad person hiding on the passenger side from getting in), how does one unlock the passenger door if they actually want to?

Didn't we solve this, like, 30 years ago, with an all-doors lock/unlock switch on the door? Or, does one have to climb into the car, and fiddle with the center display panel? Maybe the driver's door opener button doubles as an all-unlock if pressed twice? Anybody have any insight into this?

On the S it's a "permanent" button on the top of the touch screen. No fiddling required, easy to use.

View attachment 242942

Love the photos, but one of them does seem to show his home address.

• Helpful
Reactions: Red Sage and bmms8
On the S it's a "permanent" button on the top of the touch screen. No fiddling required, easy to use.
But with the Model S key fob, can't you force all doors to unlock, even if the automatic approach unlock only does the driver's door? The problem is, there's no such fob-with-buttons for the M3.

I'm trying to envision someone coming back to their car with a kid in a stroller, and another by the hand, on the Model S without using the fob. Approach the car, driver's door unlocks. Now you've got to tap an icon on the center console? In a crowded parking lot, that's is a long stretch in a narrow place, with the two kids, and all... I just don't see that as workable.

It would be a definite show-stopper for my wife. She was very specific about needing the passenger door(s) to not unlock automatically, but needed to be able to manage those doors without too much fiddling. One car we had it was turn-the-key-and-wait-one-second, or just use it in the passenger door lock. On another, it was a double tap on the unlock button on the key fob. Messing with a phone app would be a total non-starter, especially with one's hands full.

Reactions: sigmo32