Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scalding Hot Door Handles!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stick a piece of the "fuzzy" velcro on the back side of the handle.......pretty simple fix.
I have two concerns with this fix - one, that somehow it will interfere with the handle operation and Tesla will say it's not a warranty fix since I added a piece of fuzzy velcro to them. And two, that the adhesive will fail in the super heat we're talking about and fall off, leaving a sticky gummy mess.

I think individual variation in human physiology plays a significant role in the varying reactions to hot door handles posted in this thread. Some people's fingers are much more sensitive to temperature than others. My wife can handle hot pot handles without complaint, handles that I use pot holders on because I can't tolerate them bare handed. The difference is not explained by "Well she does all the cooking". She hates to cook, I do it. [emoji3]

I wonder if the handles could be manufactured with horizontal 'ribs' on the insides thus maintaining the current look and if that would reduce the scorch/freeze factor?

An alternative method could be to cast 'hollow' handles, thus reducing the heat mass.

Here in Phoenix we really know about hot. The door handles were untouchable during the hottest part of our summer, where temps got into the 118+ zone this year.

I set an alarm for when I know I'm leaving somewhere, start by venting the roof with the AC on full, then close the roof about 5 minutes later. If I get the car into the high-70s, as has been reported above the handles are touchable. But even then, I pop it quick then reach for the corner of the window to finish opening the door.

Agree that, although uncomfortable and requiring a workaround, the sexy steel look is preferable to painted.

Here in Phoenix we really know about hot. The door handles were untouchable during the hottest part of our summer, where temps got into the 118+ zone this year.

I set an alarm for when I know I'm leaving somewhere, start by venting the roof with the AC on full, then close the roof about 5 minutes later. If I get the car into the high-70s, as has been reported above the handles are touchable. But even then, I pop it quick then reach for the corner of the window to finish opening the door.

Agree that, although uncomfortable and requiring a workaround, the sexy steel look is preferable to painted.

what amazing detail! i will start doing the same. im in 100 degree hot dallas, and have a black car too....be careful everyone...cant wait for summer to end

I find it's not so much the temperature as being directly in the sun. Generally the handles will be hot on only one side of the car.

- - - Updated - - -

Here in California, we're famously laid back and always wear our shirts untucked. So it's pretty easy to grab the handle with the bottom of my shirt, if it's a very hot day and the handle has been in the direct sun for a while.

That's what I do.

In other threads on this subject, people have mentioned using gaffer's tape on the inside of the door handles. I've been meaning to try that myself for some time, but never seem to remember when I have the spare time. I know that the adhesive on gaffer tape is quite heat resistant, so theoretically it shouldn't melt or run.

Personally I love the feel of a solid metal door handle. Of course, since I can hold a beaker of boiling water for several seconds, the thermal downsides are of negligible concern to me. Plastics just wouldn't be a good substitute esthetically. Carbon fiber with a surface slab of metal veneer might feel and look OK though.

I've had a problem with the door handles being too hot to touch a few times. First in Eastern Washington in 105+ degree temps not long after we first got the car, but even recently on a mid-90s sunny day in Western Washington where we're not known for temperature extremes. I'm sure that having a darker color car contributed.

I'm reluctant to try a custom fix of my own given how often it's likely to be an issue where I live, but I absolutely see how it could be problematic in hotter locations.

I also have Xpel on the handles and I've never noticed the handles to be uncomfortably hot.

That may also be due to having a white car, or because San Diego is not as extreme as places like Phoenix.

Does anyone with a dark colored car in a hot climate have Xpel wrapped door handles for comparison?