TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Scalding Hot Door Handles!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by jlucero, Sep 3, 2015.

1. jlucero

jlucero Member

geez, we were in for a surprise on a hot texas day! my five year old pretty much burned his hand by touching the intensely hot door handle that was roasting under the texas sun for 5 hours! be careful if you guys are in hot areas with your children opening the door by themselves. need to bring a towel with me to open the doors!

2. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

+1000 to this.

My daughter asked me or my wife to open the door for her after the car has been in the sun.

3. jlucero

jlucero Member

im sure my son will ask me from now...

4. MileHighMotoring

Been there, too. Being a mile closer to the sun makes them handles into branding irons :)

I think we know the reason most every other door handle in the world is painted body color, or dark plastic.

5. mbaier

mbaier Member

So glad that this came up - the handles really do get way too hot. - even in Switzerland :) It's strange that this never came up during prototype testing in the hot California sun.

6. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

I'm in California and this is also a known issue. The door handles do get quite hot and I wish they wouldn't.

But, if it's a choice between the current sexy look of the handles, and having some hotness to the touch, I'll take the aesthetic joy at the cost of physical discomfort. Maybe with the X and next version of handles, we will have the same sexy look without the heat.

- K

7. marcad80

marcad80 Member

This has been discussed before on this forum. One of the best suggestions I remember was placing some felt on the inside of the door handle. I haven't done this yet, but I was planning on it.

What I have been doing in the meantime is making sure the air conditioner is on a while before entering the car. Use the app to turn it on while your still in the store or whatever. It seems like the excess pressure inside the car vents through the door handles and will do a pretty good job of cooling them down before you get there.

8. mbaier

mbaier Member

i guess in the summer they are "too hot to handle" and in the winter "too cold to hold" : ) - just like the old ghost busters song : )

9. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

I suppose Tesla could switch to plastic door handles that just look like chrome. That way they won't get hot.

To avoid this problem, pre-cool the vehicle using your app. Cool air circulates around the door handles and should make them tolerable on a hot day.

10. jlucero

jlucero Member

i do this in texas---turn on AC way before entering car, and it is still scalding hot! maybe it helps a bit but hard to cool 100 degree heat!

11. HHHH

HHHH Member

I usually pre-cool the car about 30-45 minutes before getting in the car. Obviously the handles get insanely hot here in Vegas, the pre-cool session last 30 minutes IIRC, so I usually have to cool more than once if I'm pre-cooling for 45 minutes. I've been toying with installing a small strip of felt in the inside of the handle where the hand would most likely touch it.

12. Sound's Good

Sound's Good Member

First time poster here (having just ordered a pre-owned S for delivery next week and still high from the test drive) gotta say this sounds like an aftermarket opportunity waiting for implementation.

Have some very good industrial, dark grey felt handy...it's all about the adhesive now, and I've got a fairly impressive collection of that, too.

:rolleyes:

Don't anybody touch those beautiful metal handles...

13. yo mama

yo mama Member

Pffft. Drive with mittens.

14. AuKirk

AuKirk Member

I don't imagine there is any plan to address this... it certainly is a well documented issue, yet it appears the new Model X is maintaining the same chrome handles.

15. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

Wow. Swiss owner quoting Bobby Brown rapping. Total pwnage.

16. cmu5p

cmu5p Member

lol. This statement reminded me of wearing four inch stilettos- painful but oh so worth it.

17. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

Stick a piece of the "fuzzy" velcro on the back side of the handle.......pretty simple fix.

18. PatD

PatD Member

Same thing here in PA.

19. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

Here in California, we're famously laid back and always wear our shirts untucked. So it's pretty easy to grab the handle with the bottom of my shirt, if it's a very hot day and the handle has been in the direct sun for a while.

20. tezzla

tezzla Member

I've had my Tesla's through 3 summers here in LA and I've never had a problem with hot handles (and I park in the sun at work also).