Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Schedule departure charging makes wall charger go crazy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Model 3 and a Clipper Creek 240V 32A wall charger with a J1772 - Tesla adapter on it. This works perfectly for normal charging. However, if I try schedule charging, as soon as I plug the charger in it starts cycling on and off about once per second until I pull it out. I have the schedule set to 0630 and it should only take about 3 hours to charge, so when I plug in after work it should do nothing for several hours, then turn on. Has anyone seen this before? I'm wondering if the car is not able to talk to the wall charger in this mode for some reason because it's not a Tesla wall charger, even though it works fine in normal mode.

However, if I try schedule charging, as soon as I plug the charger in it starts cycling on and off about once per second until I pull it out.

Seems like something that needs a video, if you are not afraid of further damage for another test.

It is probably a problem with the charging station. You can try the Tesla with another cable such as the included UMC just to be sure.

There is no problem connecting to the non-Tesla charger. They are all on the J1772 standard so it is not like each one is different to the car.

What do you see on the car's screen while this is happening? I use scheduled charging all the time with a couple of J1772 EVSEs with no ill effects are all. It will turn on for a short time, until the car decides I'm done using the climate control, but always shuts down before I leave the garage. The screen should show the scheduled start time.

"Scheduling charging" where? I have read here about issues using scheduling from "smart" chargers (vs doing it from the car).

I have a ChargePoint HomeFlex and have tried all of the following with success:

1. Scheduled Tesla to start charging at 11:00pm, ChargePoint no time
2. No Tesla charge time, scheduled ChargePoint at 11:00pm
3. Scheduled Tesla to start at 11:15pm, ChargePoint at 11:00pm
4. Scheduled Tesla to start at 11:00pm, ChargePoint at 11:15pm

I tried all of these to make sure that having them at different settings will still work.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I have a ChargePoint HomeFlex and have tried all of the following with success:

1. Scheduled Tesla to start charging at 11:00pm, ChargePoint no time
2. No Tesla charge time, scheduled ChargePoint at 11:00pm
3. Scheduled Tesla to start at 11:15pm, ChargePoint at 11:00pm
4. Scheduled Tesla to start at 11:00pm, ChargePoint at 11:15pm

I tried all of these to make sure that having them at different settings will still work.

Glad that all of these scenarios will work. What is the general consensus as to "best" approach - schedule from Tesla vs. schedule from EVSE (i.e. ChargePoint or JuiceBox)? Any advantage to one approach vs. the other?

Glad that all of these scenarios will work. What is the general consensus as to "best" approach - schedule from Tesla vs. schedule from EVSE (i.e. ChargePoint or JuiceBox)? Any advantage to one approach vs. the other?
I think pretty solid consensus is that it works much more reliably from the car. There were known issues if the car had gone to sleep, and then the EVSE goes "live" again, that the car wouldn't really detect that to wake itself up to start charging. (I don't know if that ever got fixed) If the EVSE is always active, the car is already waking itself up on a schedule to begin its own charging, so it just works.

Sorry, been a few days. I can already tell I got the terminology messed up, sorry I just got my car a few weeks ago. I stated in the title "schedule charging" but actually I'm trying to use "schedule departure".

In this case this is what I am trying to do.

1. Get home, battery is at ~50%.
2. Park the car in the garage, turn on scheduled departure from the car's screen, and set to 6:30am.
3. Plug in the wall charger.

I would expect the car to do nothing when I plug in the wall charger, and figure out when to start charging based on how long it takes so that it's done at 80% and preconditioned by 0630. However, as soon as I plug it in is when it starts cycling on and off. The wall charger has a big relay that clicks on and off over and over until I pull it out. It's like the car is trying to start charging but doesn't, and the T logo light never goes to green, it stays blinking white. If I turn scheduled departure off, the charger works normally.

Thanks for your help!

I Took a video but I don’t seem to be able to upload it, I can only select pictures, so I’ll try and describe.

I set to schedule departure at 0630 again and plugged in. The charger clicked on and off 3 times before staying off. The charge light went to dark blue and then to white, it did not go to green even though the charger was clicking on and off. From then I assume it would turn on in the middle of the night.

As an interesting experiment I later sat in the car with it plugged in which of course turned the charger on to run the heater. That worked. However, when I got out and the charger should have just turned off, it did the 3 cycles again.

Not sure what is going on. It’s not a big deal I just charge when I get home but I do wish it worked right.

When using scheduled departure, the car will instantly start charging when you plug in. Make sure the box is providing power all the time.

Why would it do that? One of the main points of departure scheduling is so that it will end close to when you want to leave so that the battery is warmed. Are you saying it will start charging, then turn back off and wait till later in the evening according to the schedule to finish?

Why would it do that? One of the main points of departure scheduling is so that it will end close to when you want to leave so that the battery is warmed. Are you saying it will start charging, then turn back off and wait till later in the evening according to the schedule to finish?

I will start charging but not finish it. It will top it off close to departure time.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier
I will start charging but not finish it. It will top it off close to departure time.

Ok. That's not how I would design it but that's besides the point for this discussion. Even if it started, then stopped later, then finished, that wouldn't explain why it cycles on and off rapidly 3 times when I plug it in using scheduled departure, but doesn't do that when I plug it in without scheduled departure. That is the heart of what I want to know. Thanks.

That is not correct. It will try to schedule and finish close to the departure time.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-23 110834.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-02-23 110834.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
This is a total shot in the dark, gents, so take it with a grain of salt...

I THINK that, in the case described, the car will initially "taste" the power when you plug it in to determine exactly how fast it can transfer energy to the battery. Once it knows that, it can then figure out at what time it needs to start charging to have your car ready at the scheduled departure time.

I'm sure that I don't really need to say this, but please let me know if I'm wrong. ;)

Leonar40, I am happy I read your comment about the conflict with charging and scheduling. I have a Tesla wall charger but decided not to use scheduling for preconditioning after reading your comments. Even the message on the Tesla App is nonsensical. It says, "The car will charge at 12:30 AM and preconditioned by 6:00 AM". The preconditioning start time is later than the charging start time. Tesla need to correct this. I am beginning to think that the company is focusing on growth at the expense of quality.