Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled charging not available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery yesterday. I can't seem to set up scheduled charging. Is anyone else having this issue? Its pretty important here in CA. I'm on software version 2017.48.9 cad11b5. I found where to set it up no problem. The menu is gray and cannot be changed though.

I took delivery yesterday. I can't seem to set up scheduled charging. Is anyone else having this issue? Its pretty important here in CA. I'm on software version 2017.48.9 cad11b5. I found where to set it up no problem. The menu is gray and cannot be changed though.
Reports indicate it was activated and then was deactivated via OTA update for unknown reasons. It’s not just you though, people have been plugging in stoping the charge then starting via the app when off peak rates start.

Fremont service told me that scheduled timer for overnight charging not present yet for Model 3. Also web browser missing too.
Both "coming soon" ...

Reactions: boaterva
Probably worth the tradeoff of having to pay a few dollars extra per month to charge, in exchange for getting your car months before most people.

With EV-A peak rates as high as 45.4 cents/kWh in California (or maybe higher if other areas charge more than PG&E) I beg to differ that it will come out to a few dollars. It could easily be $1700/year depending on when they fix this. Plugging it in and then stopping charging with the app does not work. It appears to work but then charging starts up on its own at some point later.

In the mean time, I'm trying to use VisibleTesla to schedule things by setting the charge level to 50% when it's not off peak and back to 90% when it's off peak. Unfortunately it's not working for me, and given the unsupported nature, I'm not sure how to handle this. Any suggestions?

Reactions: cwerdna
With EV-A peak rates as high as 45.4 cents/kWh in California (or maybe higher if other areas charge more than PG&E) I beg to differ that it will come out to a few dollars. It could easily be $1700/year depending on when they fix this.

I'm sure it's a reasonably high priority, commensurate with being a long-term important feature.

But I maintain my point that in the grand scheme of things if you plug in before you go to bed and unplug when you get up, it's not likely to be a major financial strain for anyone who's already bought a Model S or X and has now bought Model 3, unless they're being wildly irresponsible. Again, I'm certainly not dismissing the importance of the feature, but this is the sort of thing that comes with being at the front of the line.

In the mean time, I'm trying to use VisibleTesla to schedule things by setting the charge level to 50% when it's not off peak and back to 90% when it's off peak. Unfortunately it's not working for me, and given the unsupported nature, I'm not sure how to handle this. Any suggestions?

API calls could be (and likely are) completely different for Model 3. It'll likely take some time for those to be reverse engineered. If you contact the developer he or she might walk you through doing captures that could help.

Yes.... you could plug in when going to bed - rates are a little higher, but better.
However, I set my charge to 90 %, saw it start to charge. Stopped the charging. Then a few minutes later, it started charging again. I stopped it and decided to move the charge indicator to a point below the current level. Waited a few minutes, nothing happened.
So I went to bed and figured I would move the charge indicator forward when waking in the morning - this would give me enough for the day.
BUT, upon waking, it was fully charged!! 100% !! The indicator was still way down where I had put it. What's confusing is that it charged higher than the original 90% setting.
Now leaving it unplugged when no charge desired.

Gotta get them programmers working!

Yes.... you could plug in when going to bed - rates are a little higher, but better.
However, I set my charge to 90 %, saw it start to charge. Stopped the charging. Then a few minutes later, it started charging again. I stopped it and decided to move the charge indicator to a point below the current level. Waited a few minutes, nothing happened.
So I went to bed and figured I would move the charge indicator forward when waking in the morning - this would give me enough for the day.
BUT, upon waking, it was fully charged!! 100% !! The indicator was still way down where I had put it. What's confusing is that it charged higher than the original 90% setting.
Now leaving it unplugged when no charge desired.

Gotta get them programmers working!

Now *THAT* would bother me. I'm gonna be a bit of an obsessive about not going to max charge unless absolutely necessary. Welp, thanks to y'all for testing so we peons have fixed software when we get our cars!

I got Visible Tesla working with the 3. Scheduling works fine. Some parts don't work but are less critical. The image is going to be a Model S that looks like somebody stole the wheels, but I can live with that and override settings so it's close enough. Aside from the physical picture being wrong, some things in the API (open trunk and frunk remotely) not being there, and Estimated Range showing up as 0 in the charging area (which makes sense given that the car itself doesn't have an energy graph/display yet) things are pretty much there.

I thought about updating the software but chances are that I'll get to it are slim. I know I saw the API documented years ago, and it's a question of whether I can find out/figure out what else there is for the Model 3, as well as get the graphics. The last time I looked at the code was years ago and I don't think I was very thorough. I was more interested in how it logged in and to make sure that the paranoid were wrong about it sending my credentials somewhere.