Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled charging not working properly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if/what I'm missing, but we recently switched to Tesla's electric plan that allows for free charging between 10pm and 6am. I have scheduled charging enabled in the app, and it recognizes it when I plug the car in, as shown in the picture below.

However, a few minutes after I plug it in, the car starts charging, whether or not it's 10 pm. Tonight, for example, I plugged in at 9.25pm, and it started charging around 9.30

I have tried everything possible but can't seem to figure out why this doesn't work properly. Any ideas?

IMG_0533.jpeg

The scheduled charging setting seems to be hit or miss for some reason. I’ve never had an issue like that with the off peak charging setting though.

So instead of telling it to start charging at 10 pm, tell it to finish charging by 6am (or earlier if you normally need the car charged before 6am)

Reactions: theothertom
That’s what it shows when plugged in and not charging
Huh, I just looked at mine, and it too shows 2V. Never noticed that before. ANYWAY, it is possible what you are seeing isn’t charging per se but the car using “shore power” to run the HVAC while you are sitting in the car. For instance, if I’m sitting in the car, it shows this (charging screen is different since I’ve got an X and it shows in the instrument cluster):

IMG_5865.jpeg

So it is drawing 10A from my EVSE from the wall, but that power isn’t going into the battery, it is powering the HVAC and car electronics since I’m sitting in the car. When I close the door and walk away, this stops. Is that what you’re seeing?

Not sure if/what I'm missing, but we recently switched to Tesla's electric plan that allows for free charging between 10pm and 6am. I have scheduled charging enabled in the app, and it recognizes it when I plug the car in, as shown in the picture below.

However, a few minutes after I plug it in, the car starts charging, whether or not it's 10 pm. Tonight, for example, I plugged in at 9.25pm, and it started charging around 9.30

I have tried everything possible but can't seem to figure out why this doesn't work properly. Any ideas?

View attachment 980030
With my MY it’s just checking in, not really charging. After 2 or 3 minutes the green lights on the Tesla wall charger turns blue (standby).

Looking at your screen, it’s not charging.

Check to see if you have set Scheduled Charging on the phone app with a different time to begin charging (also check any other phones that have access to the Tesla vehicle.) Log out of any third-party energy monitoring apps such as: Teslafi, Tessie, Teslamate, etc. as these can sometimes be the source of these types of issues. Change the password on your Tesla account. Any third party apps that used the old password should notify you that they are no longer able to access your charging data.

Agree with the above posters who say you aren't actually charging.

Best to monitor with the phone application, rather than sitting in the car.

BTW: The scheduled charging capability has been around for years and is a very solid capability.
Sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post - but I took this picture right after plugging in. 5 minutes later, it started charging, even though it was not 10pm yet. I've had a service request open with Tesla for a while on this and they just tell me "they will get back to me".

Schedule Departure is a Climate Control function, aka Scheduled Departure - Preconditioning. When you set an off-peak electric rate window end time such as 0700 then you can use Scheduled Departure - Charging. Charging would normally complete prior to the end of the off-peak period. (This cannot be guaranteed when using Level 1 (120V) charging as charging to the set charge limit might take longer than the number of hours available to charge even in cases where Scheduled Departure - Charging begins as soon as you plug in.)

When you set an off-peak electric rate window end time such as 0700 then you can use Scheduled Departure - Charging.
I think that's the key. You have to set the off-peak window so that you can schedule departure charging. This is somewhat confusing to me and maybe I have it wrong, but it would be easier to understand/use if you just set a time to leave and the car would finish charging by then. (I don't have off peak rates in my area).

Don't worry, just cause the charger is sending juice, its likely not charging. When the Tesla is plugged in, even if its not during a charging window, it will use commercial power to power lights, Air Cond. etc. Its very little power, perhaps a few Amps. Close the doors, walkaway from the car, and it will stop after a minute or two.

And the 2V when plugged in and idle is normal. If you don't see 2V, you have a problem

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post - but I took this picture right after plugging in. 5 minutes later, it started charging, even though it was not 10pm yet. I've had a service request open with Tesla for a while on this and they just tell me "they will get back to me".
Maybe this? Car needs to test charge connection:

"When Scheduled Departure is displayed, touch Schedule to set a daily time when you want Model Y to be ready to drive. Specify a time, then touch Settings to enable one or both of the following departure features. When plugging in with Off-Peak Charging enabled, the vehicle briefly draws power (you may hear clicking) to calculate the necessary charging start time."