Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Roy W.

Battery running low...
Jun 3, 2019
Derby, UK
Picked up yesterday, so still very much learning!

The car caught me out last night by starting to charge immediately in my garage, despite me setting up scheduled charging while we sat at the Woodhall Supercharger. I was a bit worn out after a long day so I just let it do it’s thing.

RTFM :rolleyes:

Unlike the other two EVs I’ve had, where scheduled charging is a global setting that can be over-ridden if required, on the M3 the scheduled charging setting is location based.

This means I’d cleverly set up the scheduled charging at Woodhall services, but not in my garage...

I’m going to try again today, fingers crossed ;)

On this topic, apparently charging rate can be adjusted per location, I’ve no idea how this works at a supercharger, I imagine it’s as fast as possible otherwise taking up space with a trickle charge seems a bit pointless. My plan of UMC within a few meters of zappi should prove interesting. Hopefully advertised charge rate from Zappi will top trump the M3s chosen rate and it will magically sort itself out. Seen somewhere that charge rate should be set before plugging in, if done after plugging it needs to be set within a small number of seconds and it can be tricky to get this done before the timer prevents a change.

No danger of scheduling errors or setting the charge rate too high with a tow bar ;)

This means I’d cleverly set up the scheduled charging at Woodhall services, but not in my garage...

I wonder how that will work with idle Fees next time you go to Woodhall? :rolleyes:

Unlike the other two EVs I’ve had, where scheduled charging is a global setting that can be over-ridden if required

Sounds horrid ... but I've only had Tesla. I charge at Home and Work ... Home is scheduled for Off Peak, if I had to disable when at work I'd no doubt forget to toggle either at work or home and either be stranded-or-fleeced ...

But you are right, I don't think you get much clue that that is what is going on.

I wonder how that will work with idle Fees next time you go to Woodhall? :rolleyes: Sounds horrid ... but I've only had Tesla.
Does scheduled charging also apply to DC? I’d assumed, like my other cars, it only scheduled AC charging.

With the Leaf the charging timer was overridden with a button on the dash.

The Kona was much slicker (!) - that had the override button next to the charge port, and it flashed to remind you scheduled charging was set.

With the Leaf the charging timer was overridden with a button on the dash.

Tesla used to have a "Override just this once button" ... the latest screen layout has Horlicks'd that :( (unless Model-3 screen layout is better)

Now:

There is an OPEN CHARGE PORT button, you press that, jump out, plug in, and THEN that button changes to START CHARGE - that WILL give you a one-time charge (it asks for confirmation that is what you mean to do), but you have to get back into the car ... <sigh>)

You can turn off Scheduled Charge and it will charge immediately you plug in (absolutely no confirmation required <sigh2>), but (to my mind) risk that you forget to re-instate it afterwards, more particularly if someone else drives the car next.

You can use APP to start charge (but unlike all the next-generation I don't have my Phone as an Implant!, so get-back-in-car is, personally, probably my best-choice)

If your Wall Charger has a Scheduler you could perhaps use that (instead of Car Schedule), but I'm not sure it would any less faffing-about to do a non-scheduled charge