Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Departure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If battery is "too cold" then power will be used to heat the battery, and either charging will be slow, or not-at-all (until battery warm enough).

It will still draw max power (well ... not if you are at a Supercharger) - in order to heat battery

I don't know how cold the battery has to be before some power is used to heat the battery.

TeslaFi etc. may be able to show that. I cannot find a single charging occasion where the temperature was Properly Cold ... but I managed to find a few around 0C where the Charger Power was up to max within a minute or two, but the Charge Rate took 10 minutes to get to max.

Here's a Teslafi graph from last night. Temp was hovering at around zero. You can see that the first 10 mins or so of "charging" was battery heating. I think at a few degrees more, it doesn't do this, so I'll guessing the heating phase is engaged when the temperature is somewhere 0 and 4 deg C.

Screenshot_20191215-224031_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Cnixon and Adopado
I had a mad idea this evening. I have a few ESP8266s, essentially small, dirt cheap, wifi IOT modules. They can be used to make pretty simple stand-alone wifi devices, for example you can put a couple of push buttons, and maybe LEDs on one and use it to send commands over wifi, and receive confirmation back (if needed).

It occurred to me that it should be possible to use one of these stand alone as a battery powered simple remote, for doing stuff like starting and stopping charging, turning on cabin preconditioning, etc. One neat feature these things have is that they have a sleep mode, that drops their power consumption to ~20µA, low enough for one to run on a couple of AA cells for well over a year.

Needless to say, after a bit of digging around I discovered that someone else has already done something similar, and made a simple red push button to turn on preconditioning in his Tesla (it's about ten times bigger than it needs to be):

Still, I think it's worth looking at a bit more, as it has the potential to be able to make a relatively simple, long battery life, unit that could work a bit like a TV remote, and do some of the key functions that can be done by something like Teslafi, with just the push of a button, with no need to boot anything up, start an app, or whatever.

• Disagree
Reactions: T.F.S. and pow216
I’m still not sure how departure time charging works.
9pm tonight, at 45%, limit set to 80%.
Set scheduled depart for 8am, but it started charging straight away, even though it only needs 5 hours of 7kw charging to get to 80%.
Thought it might be a 5 mins test to assess AMps available, but it showed no sign of stopping.
I’m on Ecotricity E7, so I’ve reverted to start time of 00:00, and will do a ‘manual’ pre-heat from the app.
Is that what happens for everyone else?

That's odd, you sure you had the "depart at" tab active when it did that? and if so, that your wall charger was supplying 32 amps?

Scheduled Departure tries to complete the charge at 6am (it's a fixed time you can't change) and work back from there to set the time it will start charging. Between 6am and the departure time you set, it will add some cabin/battery preconditioning time too.

I just tried it on mine and it set the charge start time as expected (so it would complete at ~6am) and it didn't start charging straight away.

I’m still not sure how departure time charging works.
9pm tonight, at 45%, limit set to 80%.
Set scheduled depart for 8am, but it started charging straight away, even though it only needs 5 hours of 7kw charging to get to 80%.
Thought it might be a 5 mins test to asssess AMps available, but it showed no sign of stopping.
I’m on Ecotricity E7, so I’ve reverted to start time of 00:00, and will do a ‘manual’ pre-heat from the app.
Is that what happens for everyone else?

Do you have it set for everyday or weekdays only? I think if you're on the weekend and have it set for weekdays only, it will start charging right away.

Yesterday I set my departure for 6am and had weekdays only selected. It started charging right away. When I selected everyday, it stopped and then started charging around 3am.

I have preconditioned selected, so I was surprised this morning when my heat didn't come on prior to leaving.

• Informative
Reactions: rotor2k
Do you have it set for everyday or weekdays only? I think if you're on the weekend and have it set for weekdays only, it will start charging right away.

Yesterday I set my departure for 6am and had weekdays only selected. It started charging right away. When I selected everyday, it stopped and then started charging around 3am.

Ah, that makes sense. By excluding weekends from the depart-at schedule, then on Sat & Sun it reverts to the standard if-it's-plugged-in---charge

Why is there a select departure time if it is not selectable? Why do they make the rest of the country live by California's electricity rates?
My electricity rates are not TOU and I don"t want the car to start charging before 6AM so this new "feature" is useless.

+1 for that.
I want my car to be ready to go by 8am.

The artificial 6am stop charging parameter is beneficial form some but not for those of us without TOU rates.

I’m trying to get the Stats App to work but have not had any luck at all. The developer is trying to figure out why the smart battery prep feature won’t work but thus far we have had no luck.

I just got my Tesla M3 and I'm confused by the settings of this feature... I get that it has your car ready by the set departure times, but what is the preconditioning for? If I work Mon - Fri should I have it set for weekdays only? I'm obviously not leaving at my set time on weekends... I guess my confusion is the word preconditioning. Is it preconditioning the battery or is it preconditioning the cabin to the set temperature before I leave? Thanks!

I just got my Tesla M3 and I'm confused by the settings of this feature... I get that it has your car ready by the set departure times, but what is the preconditioning for? If I work Mon - Fri should I have it set for weekdays only? I'm obviously not leaving at my set time on weekends... I guess my confusion is the word preconditioning. Is it preconditioning the battery or is it preconditioning the cabin to the set temperature before I leave? Thanks!
Precondition warms the cabin and the battery. How you should use it depends to some extent on when you want to charge, what home charger you have and how long your commute is.
To be honest, the in car settings are poor.
I’m retired and just have a couple of vey short trip each week. I don’t use the in car settings. My Zappi charger uses timed charges during off peak and I turn climate on from the app about 10 minutes before I leave. Regen braking is reduced but for my trip it doesn’t matter.

Reactions: cylonmode
To be honest, the in car settings are poor.

I'll second that! I use the car settings to set a start time for charging so that I can take advantage of the Octopus Go cheap rate at 00:30. I don't have a precondition/departure set and just click the climate on via the app 10/15 mins before I go out (if it's cold). For whatever reason Tesla don't seem to want to give us a simple on/off timer in the car settings ... maybe it will come, who knows. This means you set a start time and set your battery percentage on the app so that it doesn't go beyond the limit of your cheap rate. With the SR+ that 4 hour window equates to a maximum of approximately 56% so I know I can add that to current SOC on the app charging setting. My preference is to do that rather than use settings on the Zappi charge point.

I'll second that! I use the car settings to set a start time for charging so that I can take advantage of the Octopus Go cheap rate at 00:30. I don't have a precondition/departure set and just click the climate on via the app 10/15 mins before I go out (if it's cold). For whatever reason Tesla don't seem to want to give us a simple on/off timer in the car settings ... maybe it will come, who knows. This means you set a start time and set your battery percentage on the app so that it doesn't go beyond the limit of your cheap rate. With the SR+ that 4 hour window equates to a maximum of approximately 56% so I know I can add that to current SOC on the app charging setting. My preference is to do that rather than use settings on the Zappi charge point.
Sorry - saw your comment when I posted mine. Your scenario is exactly as my 2015 was until about a year ago... progress! Why don't they give the option to NOT implement these half-baked new ideas when you download the latest OTA 'improvement'?!

Sorry - saw your comment when I posted mine. Your scenario is exactly as my 2015 was until about a year ago... progress! Why don't they give the option to NOT implement these half-baked new ideas when you download the latest OTA 'improvement'?!
So, if you 'just want to charge NOW, FCOL!' use the Scheduled Charging and set the slider to off so the time field is greyed out. As long as there is a gap between your current SOC and the set SOC limit (and the car is connected to a working charge-point, of course), the car will start charging and will stop when the SOC limit is reached.

Attachments

• IMG_5001.JPG
    IMG_5001.JPG
    478.5 KB · Views: 24