Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Precondition on Sick Day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure if I'm searching by the wrong set of words, but I haven't been able to find the answer to this question:

I have scheduled preconditioning set to Weekdays when I leave for work. My car sits in a semi temperature-controlled garage (never colder than 50 degrees). If I am sick, and do not go to work. Are there any negative issues with preconditioning then not driving the car? Other than the consumption of energy. I live in the NY area, so especially during the winter, want to leave for work with a preconditioned battery/heater.

Essentially, if I'm sick, and I forget to turn off the schedule and it runs without me going anywhere, am I harming anything?

I measured 2.82 kWh of energy usage on my Emporia this morning while preconditioning a car in 28F weather. If the weather had been warmer, the energy usage would have been significantly lower. Unless this is something regular, I don't think it's worth it to adjust the schedule and risk forgetting to turn it back on.

I measured 2.82 kWh of energy usage on my Emporia this morning while preconditioning a car in 28F weather. If the weather had been warmer, the energy usage would have been significantly lower. Unless this is something regular, I don't think it's worth it to adjust the schedule and risk forgetting to turn it back on.

Thanks. Yeah, not worried about wasting electricity, just if there is any harm that can come from preconditioning then not driving.

My max charge is set to 80% and have my TWC plugged in while it is in my garage up until I get in the car and drive out. So, when sick, it would just remain plugged in.

IMHO, there's no point at all in preconditioning in a 50F garage. When you start walking to your car in the morning, turn on the HVAC system and it'll be warm when you get there. If you're sick, you need to do nothing.
Or just set the schedule in the app so it’s ready for when you leave? What you’re saying is doing the same thing except having to do it manually instead of automatically.

Reactions: TimTam and JayPaul
Or just set the schedule in the app so it’s ready for when you leave? What you’re saying is doing the same thing except having to do it manually instead of automatically.
Sure... In that case I say suck it up and hop into a 50F car that will be warm in two minutes.

Somewhere along the line the definition of preconditioning changed and I'm too lazy to learn the nuances and current state. It used to be that it only meant "turn on the heat" and now it seems to mean "turn on the heat and warm the battery", but I could well be wrong.

Sure... In that case I say suck it up and hop into a 50F car that will be warm in two minutes.

Somewhere along the line the definition of preconditioning changed and I'm too lazy to learn the nuances and current state. It used to be that it only meant "turn on the heat" and now it seems to mean "turn on the heat and warm the battery", but I could well be wrong.
Turning on the heat will always start warming the battery as needed. There’s no way to turn on heat without warming the battery because the car controls all that.

There’s no need to overthink it. If you want the cabin warm when you get in then turn on the climate manually from the app or set the preconditioning schedule to do it automatically. Climate comfort is the main reason for preconditioning. Don’t worry about what the battery is doing.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Preconditioning is never going to trigger active heating of the battery in a 50F environment. Only the cabin.
Yeah, like I said the car will determine that as needed. Usually it will only try to warm the battery if it’s cold enough that regen is limited.

Point is, precondition to warm the cabin if you want it more comfortable. Don’t preoccupy yourself with what the car is doing with the battery.

I don’t understand why anyone would want to purposely not precondition in order to prevent preheating the battery. The battery will be heated as needed regardless. It’s just a matter of using house power while preconditioning or battery power while driving to do it.

Reactions: JayPaul
I leave every morning at 5:20 am. I have a 17-month-old kid in his car seat. Yes, my car is garaged, and it doesn't drop below 50 degrees. But why would I manually warm up the cabin every morning, when there is a schedule feature?

I almost immediately go into FSD, and use Autopilot for most of my commute, going back into FSD when I get off the highway.

I want to ensure I am using regenerative braking as much as possible, so if the car decides it wants to precondition the battery, I want to let it, for that reason alone. It is also nice to not have my child sitting in a 50-degree car, even for a few minutes.

And yes, it remains plugged in while I'm loading my son in the car seat, until I walk around to the driver's side, right before I get in and drive off.

Reactions: Park2670
Everyone who is responding with “why bother” lives in a place where it doesn’t get cold. I live in Michigan. I leave preconditioning on for weekdays except in the summer and I’ve never regretted it. The 25 cents or whatever it costs to come up to temperature in the garage is a price I’m willing to pay. Ymmv

Reactions: JayPaul