Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Schizophrenic Door Handles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My handles stopped auto presenting as well; no recent software upgrades. Setting on Controls is still on auto present.

I've seen another owner's handle settings get locked-up somehow. In his case they wouldn't auto-lock despite the setting being ON. We cleared it with the following procedure:

Turn off feature

Reboot the touchscreen

Turn on feature

Try that with your auto-present feature and see if it clears the problem.

Hi all,

I'm happy to report that after about a week, I haven't had any significant issues with 4.3 (1.25.40). However, I do notice one odd thing which I've been seeing for awhile. (Definitely saw it on 4.2 as well).

Sometimes, when I put the car in park, the door handles extend. Then I open the door, the handles retract, and then immediately extend again. This does not happen every time, but it does happen frequently. Anyone else notice this?

It's resulting in unnecessary door handle actuation.

I still get this with 4.4

Sometimes, when I put the car in park, the door handles extend. Then I open the door, the handles retract, and then immediately extend again. This does not happen every time, but it does happen frequently. Anyone else notice this?

I am on 4.4 and do not have "auto extend" enabled. I've noticed for some time now that when I put the car in Park, all the door handles come out, but as I step out of the car, I can hear one of the handles making the "whirring" sound. When I get out and look, all of the handles are extended, but today I noticed something similar to what you describe: I got out, left the driver's door ajar and as I was reaching for the rear door, the handle retracted (all of the other handles remained out). As I stood there wondering what to do next, it just popped back out on it's own. I assume this is what has been going on for a while, but I had not noticed the handle going in and out before and only heard the sound.

I don't understand why all of the door handles always go in and out. 99.9% of the time I'm by myself and don't need the wear and tear on 3 doors I'm not using. I would like just the driver's door handle to extend, and have the others "ready" to extend if someone taps it.

I don't understand why all of the door handles always go in and out. 99.9% of the time I'm by myself and don't need the wear and tear on 3 doors I'm not using. I would like just the driver's door handle to extend, and have the others "ready" to extend if someone taps it.

They just haven't gotten around to coding the different behaviours yet. The Prius has three behaviours and people still complain (until someone tells them how to cycle through the settings).

First time I've had any real issue, but this afternoon after getting home from a 65 mile drive I had an issue where neither of my passenger side handles would extend under any condition. Pressing from the outside, locking and unlocking from the touch screen, opening another door. Even driving, and parking and then opening a door. The driver's side continued to work flawlessly, but the passenger side refused to respond. I rebooted the center screen twice as well...no luck.

Eventually put in a call to Tesla (left a message since there was no emergency). About an hour or two later I had to drive somewhere and, magically, the door handles were working fine. Tesla apparently called while I was out, but hadn't intervened and just told my son that they would look at it when the car goes in for the 12.5k service on Tuesday.

Weirdness.

First time I've had any real issue, but this afternoon after getting home from a 65 mile drive I had an issue where neither of my passenger side handles would extend under any condition. Pressing from the outside, locking and unlocking from the touch screen, opening another door. Even driving, and parking and then opening a door. The driver's side continued to work flawlessly, but the passenger side refused to respond. I rebooted the center screen twice as well...no luck.

Eventually put in a call to Tesla (left a message since there was no emergency). About an hour or two later I had to drive somewhere and, magically, the door handles were working fine. Tesla apparently called while I was out, but hadn't intervened and just told my son that they would look at it when the car goes in for the 12.5k service on Tuesday.

Weirdness.

Check to make sure your fuses are seated. I believe each side is a separate fuse.

I've been getting some more door handle weirdness:

1. The other night, my wife didn't close the front passenger door fully and asked me what to do. I said open it and close it more firmly (duh!), but she said it wouldn't re-open. So I went around and sure enough you could tug on the handle all you want, and the door wouldn't release from it's semi-latched position. I pressed lock on the fob, but none of the handles retracted, so I pressed unlock and then the door handle worked. I opened and fully closed the passenger door, then the handles all retracted when I pressed lock.

2. For several days, none of the handles would extend when I put the car in Park. As of today, they're extending in Park again.

3. About once a week (maybe less) one of my doors will randomly pop open on its own when the handles extend. A nuisance because I have to walk around and close the door.

Since .44 firmware both my passenger side doors, front and back, no longer extend when the car is unlocked and you press on them. Hmmm used to do that just fine. All handles do however extend when touching the left front or back.

Maybe something else that will be fixed with .54?

Since .44 firmware both my passenger side doors, front and back, no longer extend when the car is unlocked and you press on them. Hmmm used to do that just fine. All handles do however extend when touching the left front or back.

Maybe something else that will be fixed with .54?

I've been having door handle weirdness with both flavors of 4.5 (see post above). It may go away by itself (like my non-extending in Park example) or you could try the screen re-boot which seems to clear up more issues than I would have imagined.

After I got 4.5 my door handles - which used to work perfectly - now are acting strange. The issue is: all handles extend/retract together properly. All extend when unlocking using the key fob. *however* when unlocked and no key fob, pressing on the LH rear, RH front or RH rear (any handle except drivers) nothing happens. They will not extend or unlock.

I've tried rebooting the car multiple times; no difference. I mentioned it to the service center and even demonstrated it to the tech. However they said "could not duplicate" after making some updates and applying service bulletins to the car.

Thought all was fixed. Nope nope nope, still acts exactly as previously described.

Maybe will be fixed under 5.x? :confused:

Is it normal for the auto-presenting feature to stop working if the car sits for 24 hours or more? I have found on those days that my car has sat unused for a full day that the handles do not auto-present when I approach it with the key fob. In most cases after the car has sat for 24 hours or more, I only have to push on the door handle for them to popout, but on many occassions I actually have had to press the fob to get the door handles to present. Both fobs are stored about 150 feet away from the car, the batteries in the fob have been replaced and the "feature" has been persistent for as long as I can remember by which I mean it was present before 5.X or any implementation of the sleep mode in my car.