Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scottish Borders Holiday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Roy W.

Battery running low...
Jun 3, 2019
Derby, UK
Thanks to Ms Sturgeon relaxing her iron grip on the coronavirus, I’m happy to say that we’ve been able to come away on holiday for the first time since all this kicked off. We booked a week in a lovely little holiday cottage overlooking St Mary’s Loch near Moffat, and drove there from Derbyshire on Saturday.

Our nice relaxing journey took about five hours, including two stops for comfort/charging. We could have got there with one charge, but I wanted to get to our destination with a fairly full battery for subsequent sightseeing.

We stopped at the Scotch Corner Supercharger, and topped up from ~58% to about 90%. We used the facilities at the adjacent Holiday Inn, and had a lovely pot of tea and a tasty flat white for £5.70, which I thought was quite reasonable for a hotel. This was the first Supercharging session I’d had since January, and my first free one courtesy of my 1000 free referral miles. It was very nice to see the cost of £0.00 on the screen :D Here there are eight paired stalls, and typically when I arrived there were already four cars charging. By the time we’d had our drink and a wee there was only our Model 3 and a Model S plugged in. Most of the charge was at ~50kW.

Our second stop was at Gretna Green services, where there are only four stalls, all free when we arrived. We bought a sandwich and drink in the small Waitrose, and sat outside in the sun munching while the car charged at ~100kW. While we sat there a Jaguar iPace pulled up at the two Ecotricity chargers next door, and I found it quite amusing while he played with the charger for about ten minutes, had no joy, and then drove off, presumably to the Ionity chargers at the fuel station!

The last leg of our trip was probably the nicest, with nice winding roads and gorgeous scenery, before we arrived at Half House Cottage. If this sounds familiar, it has been mentioned on here before as it is run by @Adopado and his other half. We arrived with about 75% in the tank ;)

Here is the lovely little cottage:

17093F44-3131-4825-8840-27B913DE20D7.jpeg

With its own little path down to the Loch’s edge, a two minute walk:

E38BAAC4-D05D-4B4C-8289-A2E66C7C0764.jpeg

And the most scenic parking spot I’ve ever had :p

F040406F-4FFE-4940-A250-C6D950C13325.jpeg

I’ll post updates on here during the week as I charge at different local chargers.

The last leg of our trip was probably the nicest, with nice winding roads and gorgeous scenery, before we arrived at Half House Cottage. If this sounds familiar, it has been mentioned on here before as it is run by @Adopado and his other half. We arrived with about 75% in the tank ;)

Hey, thanks for that endorsement! (I'm now getting grief from the "other half" as she insists on the truth that it's she who runs the cottage with me being the "other half"! ;)) Enjoy the rest of your stay!

The free rapid in Hawick kept dropping to 18kw but the one in Jedburgh worked great.
We had a similar experience at the free CPS rapid in Peebles, by the council offices and police station. It was only charging at 14-15kW, about 60mph.

We had a nice snack at the cafe at Kailzie Gardens, and a very pleasant stroll through the gardens themselves.

456482EA-B904-4477-B4E0-39D187023BDA.jpeg
53AC48AF-DD60-4046-A2E1-893A829756C3.jpeg

Reactions: Mr H
I'm confused. if @Adopado('s other half) runs it then presumably there is a whole bank of chargers on site for you to use day and night?

We live in a house adjacent to the cottage and our charge point is indeed available for use "at cost". We won't make any profit on it and will fit our own charging around anybody who is staying in the cottage.

Due to some technical issues with a renewed SSL certificate our website will be flagging up as a security risk this morning I'm afraid ... I'm promised all should be well within 30 minutes or so .... just in case anybody was Googling Half House Cottage St Mary's Loch ...

Reactions: Roy W.
Looks great.

I had a chat with Adopado earlier in the year (before Covid hit) as I intend to take a holiday there to explore the area as the borders is where I fancy retiring to in a couple of years time. I still plan on going, just the timing is a bit delayed, so it's good to see the photos!

Reactions: Roy W. and Adopado
It’s been a bit rainy on and off today, so after a slow start we decided to have a run to Moffat. This is a former spa town, quite a tourist destination in its prime, with a dedicated spa hotel that burnt down in the 1920s.

We decided not to charge in Moffat. The CPS rapid is chargeable, but it was more the multiple reports on Zap-Map and PlugShare of the charger being very slow that put me off. We had a pleasant look around the town, and found a cafe for lunch with some pavement tables.

This is the old spa baths, now the town hall:

C016A829-451B-4340-91A1-64B71FCCB198.jpeg

The Star Hotel is the narrowest hotel in the world, according to Guinness World Records, at 20ft wide:

A7817A0B-AE4F-4881-9757-C4733E408AED.jpeg

And who needs Tesla Breakdown? I know I’ve got that AA key somewhere...

3363410C-91B1-4ED2-ADDF-225CE5D73215.jpeg

We live in a house adjacent to the cottage and our charge point is indeed available for use "at cost". We won't make any profit on it and will fit our own charging around anybody who is staying in the cottage.

Due to some technical issues with a renewed SSL certificate our website will be flagging up as a security risk this morning I'm afraid ... I'm promised all should be well within 30 minutes or so .... just in case anybody was Googling Half House Cottage St Mary's Loch ...

Roy can probably recommend a good energy supplier while he's there too.

• Funny
It’s been a bit rainy on and off today, so after a slow start we decided to have a run to Moffat. This is a former spa town, quite a tourist destination in its prime, with a dedicated spa hotel that burnt down in the 1920s.

Should be dry and bright tomorrow ... so definitely worth driving the Megget Road from Cappercleuch past the Megget and Talla reservoirs if you haven't been that way already.