Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scratch on door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

QQQ

Aug 11, 2015
SF
I recently got a scratch on my door. It is deep enough that I can feel it with my fingernail. I already tried the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and had no luck.

I called one of the collision shop recommended by Tesla and they advised I repaint the door plus the panels around it which will cost me $5K+. I don't think it's worth it and am trying to find an alternative solution to at least make the scratch not as visible. Any suggestions?

PastedGraphic-1.jpg
PastedGraphic-2.jpg

Looks like painting is required, but I think the $5 K estimate is over the top. I had the hood on previous Tesla with similar scratch repainted and clear coated for $1200 (5 years ago though). Given it's just the door I don't think they have to touch the surrounding panels. They can sand and repaint the damaged area, color blending out to the edges on door, followed by clear coating entire thing for consistency. I would get some competitive estimates, including non-Tesla shops but ones that work on Audis, Porsches, etc.