Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen burning hot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

talkingevs

GO AVS! 2022 CHAMPS!
Jan 28, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Anyone else's screen burning hot to touch on the backside? I'm really worried there isn't enough cooling and will wear down the screen over time. It's 60s outside and I park in parking garage at work so it's not the sun glaring on it

My wife just noticed this today although she said it was warm - not hot. She said it cooled down after 20 minutes of idle time. Wonder if there is a cool coat we can use on the back of the screen to help? Another thought is to direct some of the A/C towards the back of the screen to try to keep it cool. This probably would work best if someone is not in the passenger seat but still may be effective.

The screen does get really warm/hot. I have been thinking of how well they will hold up due to heat. I assume everything should be fine since the screens on the S are doing okay.

They are??? There are a number of owners who have reported issues (delamination, bubbling, etc.), which has required replacement of the screen. Mine (Model S) was replaced a few months ago.

Anyone else's screen burning hot to touch on the backside? I'm really worried there isn't enough cooling and will wear down the screen over time. It's 60s outside and I park in parking garage at work so it's not the sun glaring on it
Yes! And I’ve reported this several times to my service people, but since it’s usually along with a whole host of technical issues, it has never been addressed specifically. It happens randomly, while driving, while parked (especially with sentry mode activated?), etc ... The back of the screen get screaming hot. I’ve dimmed the screen, but that had no impact.

Has anyone heard from Tesla on this issue?

The screen does get really warm/hot. I have been thinking of how well they will hold up due to heat. I assume everything should be fine since the screens on the S are doing okay.
The S screen is fully integrated, so the comparison isn't really useful. Plus, the screen on the S is not used for nearly as many functions as is needed for the M3, since there are virtually no controls elsewhere, save the very few on the steering wheel.

They rigorously test these in thermal chambers. I've been a part of teams that test electronics to 80*C. That will absolutely burn your hand so I'm not worried. Does it bring up the failure rate over time, yes, but It should be fine for 10-15 years. This is like debating 80-90% charging as far as degradation :p