Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen Layouts and the rumored Interior Refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2023 F-150L
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
There has been the occasional rumor of a Model S/X interior refresh, and some think they will go to a single landscape screen like the Model 3. I think this would be a huge mistake. The current dual screens with portrait layout works really well and provides far more screen real estate that you could get with a single screen. Furthermore, I'm not sure you could actually reasonably fit a 17" or larger screen in landscape in the center of the car. Your available space for controls is mostly vertical, and it makes sense to keep a portrait layout for larger screens in the car.

I'm sure you've seen this debate before, but I want to give one concrete example of the superiority of the current Model S screen layout that I have strongly noticed when switching back and forth between my Model 3 and my Model S. The navigation. The Model 3 navigation is fine, better than most cars, but not nearly as good as it is in the Model S. If you compare the physical size of the map display, it is much larger in the S due to the larger screen and the basic car info displays being separated onto the 2nd screen. More importantly, and probably overlooked by a lot of people, is the 2nd nav display you can get on the instrument cluster screen in the S. How is that useful? It is MUCH easier to use that 2nd screen to understand exactly where you need to turn when navigating unfamiliar territory while using the 1st screen as more of the overview of the larger route. The instrument cluster nav screen zooms in further automatically and provides more useful visualization angles for intersections and turns. I've had a harder time with this in the 3, having to zoom in and out far more often. In the S, the 2 nav displays I find are actually extremely useful together. I hope they keep it that way.

Plus the dual screens is more upscale, something they need to maintain if they want to keep selling Model S for twice the price of a 3.

Agreed. Landscape screen is good in a Model 3. It costs Tesla much less, provides lots of information in the relatively small real estate.

The dual screens on the S/X provide much more information in the much larger center screen, while the more line of sight drivers screen can display more detail, especially for turn by turn navigation. It is easier to look straight ahead, through the steering wheel than avert your eyes from the road to sort out the center display.

Things like checking to see if your brights are still on, turn signals left flashing, speed and energy use are best straight ahead.

Entertainment and long distance routing works great on the center display.

Actually, it would be super cool if Tesla figures out a way to make the screen in the S and X so it can rotate (could use portrait for driving and switch to landscape when parked waiting or charging and fooling around with games and videos). But whatever they do, I think they need to keep the instrument cluster screen.

I really wanted to note the value I see in the 2nd nav map though. On the surface, it sounds like useless duplication and unneeded cost. But it is actually very useful in practice.

S & X will likely see the landscape display soon as Tesla continues to focus on more entertainment features which benefit from a large landscape display.

Tesla could keep the dashboard display for S & X to help maintain a differentiation between 3/Y and S/X.