Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen Protective Glass Necessary?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a ton of aftermarket accessories available for Tesla cars. One thing I have always done for my smartphones is add a very thin tempered glass cover over the screen. I'm wondering if such a thing has any benefit for the touchscreen in all Teslas? It seems to me that the Tesla screen (unlike the cellphone in my pocket) has almost no chance of being scratched or damaged in normal use.

Screen protectors are similar to insurance in that it is better to have them than to require them. I have startled myself by banging objects against the display. However, I have a screen protector and have never had damage. To take things a step further, The Abstract Ocean screen protector also includes a durable plastic installation guide that molds to the screen's contours. I keep this device on the monitor after installation to help cushion any impacts to the edges.
On my first Tesla, the matte plastic was used.
It works well at lowering glare and the visibility of fingerprints, but it dulls the display's vividness.

Upvote 0
Cheap insurance (a new screen costs $1400). Reduces reflections, fingerprints don't show (if matte finish.) For that rare occasion when you carry a longer item in the Tesla vehicle and have to stop short a screen protector might just save the screen from being damaged. (Replacing a damaged screen protector only costs ~$30.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Note the screen protector breaking (especially tempered glass ones) does not necessarily mean the same impact may break the screen. The impact resistance of the thin sheet and how it is raised up on the screen may not necessarily be the same as the actual screen itself (this is especially true of phones).

Upvote 0
Note the screen protector breaking (especially tempered glass ones) does not necessarily mean the same impact may break the screen. The impact resistance of the thin sheet and how it is raised up on the screen may not necessarily be the same as the actual screen itself (this is especially true of phones).
Sure; the impact with some object damaged the screen protector (this helped spread the force of the impact over a wider area, possibly saved the screen.)

Upvote 0
Your phone gets dropped an abused, a screen protector makes a lot of sense.

Your Tesla screen is much less likely to take such trauma, and it likely just comes down to aesthetics. I didn’t install one and have no desire for one. When I wash my car I wipe down the screen with a microfiber cloth.

Upvote 0
My experience of phone screen protectors is that, yeah, they protect your screen but then the surface you’re looking at all day long is then a cheap naff screen protector rather than the sophisticated surface with numerous coatings your phone manufacturer has invested years of R&D into. I want my phone to look good while I’m using it, not for the 2 mins between removing the protector and selling it at its end of life. I just deliberately built the habit of putting my car keys and my phone in different pockets and my screens are fine.

I have applied this logic to the car, too. Try and treat it carefully, and assume that the benefit of looking at the naked screen is worth the risk of not using a protector.

Upvote 0
My experience of phone screen protectors is that, yeah, they protect your screen but then the surface you’re looking at all day long is then a cheap naff screen protector rather than the sophisticated surface with numerous coatings your phone manufacturer has invested years of R&D into. I want my phone to look good while I’m using it, not for the 2 mins between removing the protector and selling it at its end of life. I just deliberately built the habit of putting my car keys and my phone in different pockets and my screens are fine.

I have applied this logic to the car, too. Try and treat it carefully, and assume that the benefit of looking at the naked screen is worth the risk of not using a protector.
A matte finish screen protector will also reduce reflections and hide fingerprints.

Reactions: Hellpops
Upvote 0
What you should do is buy one, cut it in half and install the half. Left or Right it's your choice. Then a year or so later you should be able to see whether or not it was worth it

Better still give the other half to someone else to increase the sample size and cancel out the Left/Right differential

Me, I put the AO one on straight away and like it, and if you are going to get one, I'd say do it asap as the screen has to be as clean as poss

I got the swivelly mount thing, but that I've yet to install. I might sell t instead as I'm so used to having the screen in the place where it is

Upvote 0
@jcanoe, Other posters have said that the matte makes it look no longer "crisp", basically smearing the high resolution. I'm thinking of getting the clear for that reason.

@ EVr Hopeful, The poster #32 above, said "AO" one. Is that a brand, or...?

-TPC
Good choice if you want protection with maximum screen clarity; I prefer the matte finish screen protector as reflections are reduced and fingerprints are not visible. The only down side is when the sun is low, directly behind my Model Y the screen will wash out. The screen resolution and detail with the matte finish is not as fine but this is not an issue (for me.) I purchased the AO Matte glass protector (H9 or whatever.) I broke one trying to press out a bubble and AO sent me a replacement at no charge. The Spigen screen protector might be easier to install since it comes with an installation frame.

Upvote 0
The AO one has a frame too - I mean a temporary frame you use for proper alignment during the installation process (they have a video on their website)

And yes, I installed it straight away and have no problems with clarity, readability, colours etc
I like my AO screen protector. Spigen has a frame with a tool that helps install the screen protector without getting bubbles trapped under the protector. That is what I have read.

Upvote 0
You want to wipe down the interior of the Tesla Model Y (especially around the dashboard and console and turn off the climate control. Once you fully clean off and degrease the screen any dust in the air that settles on the screen will cause a bubble when the screen protector is installed.

Upvote 0