Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen protector too thick?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently installed a made for Model 3 screen protector, looks great, still have screen functionality except to swipe the lower left for the tire pressure. Everything else still works. Other than manually checking the tire pressure with a gage, is there any way to get this info to show without swiping left across the lower left screen?

Not sure what your talking about. Why is TPMS a unique issue in the corner? I bring it up all the time with my glass one installed.

I’ve have the Abstract ocean glass protector and it works perfect. You’d never know it’s there. My guess is you have a bad one, or installed not quite right or a less expensive one that is to thick like you said.

Not sure what your talking about. Why is TPMS a unique issue in the corner? I bring it up all the time with my glass one installed.

I’ve have the Abstract ocean glass protector and it works perfect. You’d never know it’s there. My guess is you have a bad one, or installed not quite right or a less expensive one that is to thick like you said.

how difficult was it to install the AO glass one? i've been putting it off for months because i'm afraid i'll never be able to get it on without any dust/bubbles under it, but i just put it back in my cart again the other day...

how difficult was it to install the AO glass one? i've been putting it off for months because i'm afraid i'll never be able to get it on without any dust/bubbles under it, but i just put it back in my cart again the other day...

I've done two and I'm 2:0, perfect ;)

You need to make sure you tape the top edge really well. I used supplied tape plus extra tape (painters tape) and first one went fine. Did the same thing on the second and it started to slip when peeling backing off. I had to re-eyeball align and I lucked out and it was still perfect (was a friends car).

When you peel the backing off you can pull pretty hard on the tape that is trying to hold it in alignment place.

Like I said ealier, if you "guide" the "avalanche" so that it doesn't creat an "island" it goes pretty good. Gentle swipe from center outward as it crawls along. I think the tiniest bit of lint will not show. Tiny bubbles will disappear on their own. Don't try to fix tiny bubbles.

Watch a few videos to get the feel of it and what to expect. Not to many folks flub it.

Reactions: crackers8199
Well, some folks flub it :) Not too many though, the glass protectors are much easier than the flexible ones. The reason we're out of stock of the matte ones is that we have a new version coming later this week with an all-new installation method. I can't say too much yet, but it'll make the install almost fool-proof, as long as the screen is clear of dust.

Well, some folks flub it :) Not too many though, the glass protectors are much easier than the flexible ones. The reason we're out of stock of the matte ones is that we have a new version coming later this week with an all-new installation method. I can't say too much yet, but it'll make the install almost fool-proof, as long as the screen is clear of dust.

Your post implies that the Matte one gets the new install procedure but clear one remains the same?

I did the Abstract Ocean screen protector about 6-8 months ago, did not do a perfect job, but it is not hard, and the defects go away after a while. They also send you two, in case you make a mistake.

Take your time, clean it well as they suggest and keep your hand clean. I should have used the painter's tape technique, too late for me, but mine still turned out OK after a few attempts.

I did the Abstract Ocean screen protector about 6-8 months ago, did not do a perfect job, but it is not hard, and the defects go away after a while. They also send you two, in case you make a mistake.

Take your time, clean it well as they suggest and keep your hand clean. I should have used the painter's tape technique, too late for me, but mine still turned out OK after a few attempts.

Not sure they send you two glass ones. They certainly didn't send me two glass ones.

i just installed mine and to my amazement did so without getting any dust underneath it (i seriously can't believe i got it, that was a huge PITA because i had to keep the air on low since it's so damn hot outside). one thing i will say is that while it's virtually invisible like the description says, to me it seems to have introduced more glare (i got the gen 2 HD clear one). i didn't really want the matte look, but i also am not thrilled with this added glare. i'm hoping it's just because of the angle of the sun right now, but i defintely don't remember there being this much of a reflection without the protector...

in that respect, glare might be the wrong word. it seems like it's more reflective is probably a better way to describe it...the screen definitely seems more difficult to see with the added reflection of the rest of the car showing up on the screen.

I recently installed a made for Model 3 screen protector, looks great, still have screen functionality except to swipe the lower left for the tire pressure. Everything else still works. Other than manually checking the tire pressure with a gage, is there any way to get this info to show without swiping left across the lower left screen?

Anyone try the screen protector that came with your car? Just don't remove the plastic film from the screen. It works great and everything is accessible. No finger prints!

Anyone try the screen protector that came with your car? Just don't remove the plastic film from the screen. It works great and everything is accessible. No finger prints!

Thats the same thing as people who used to leave the plastic on their iPhones. Apple never intended for that to be left on there, but people used to do it all the time because they thought it was a free screen protector. It was a screen protector, but was to protect against shipping damage and was not designed to be used on the phone constantly.

They finally re designed it with tabs on it that show you were supposed to pull it off.

I am virtually positive it is the same with that tesla one. It should have been removed during new car prep is my guess. No proof of that, but if it was actually intended to be used long term they would advertise that the car included a screen protector, which they dont.

Reactions: javadanno
in that respect, glare might be the wrong word. it seems like it's more reflective is probably a better way to describe it...the screen definitely seems more difficult to see with the added reflection of the rest of the car showing up on the screen.

after a few days with the new protector on (HD clear), i think this is probably the reduced blue light reflection they talk about on their product description to help "reduce eye fatigue." the problem is that (for me anyway) it actually increases it in my mind, as it makes the screen much harder to see during the daytime IMO. this could just take some getting used to, we'll see...but it has me seriously considering switching to the matte protector. i'm also wondering if when i finally get my windows tinted if that will help...

@pete8314 i'd love to hear your thoughts on this if you have a second.

Thats the same thing as people who used to leave the plastic on their iPhones. Apple never intended for that to be left on there, but people used to do it all the time because they thought it was a free screen protector. It was a screen protector, but was to protect against shipping damage and was not designed to be used on the phone constantly.

They finally re designed it with tabs on it that show you were supposed to pull it off.

I am virtually positive it is the same with that tesla one. It should have been removed during new car prep is my guess. No proof of that, but if it was actually intended to be used long term they would advertise that the car included a screen protector, which they dont.

You are correct, Tesla didn't intend for it to be a screen protector but nevertheless it is and it works great and it is free. You can't beat that. If you look at my display you wouldn't even know it was there.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin