Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

screen rebooted on it's own while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I was driving home, navigating on autopilot with a destination in the nav, when all of a sudden the screen went black, the air blasted on full for a few seconds, and then the Tesla logo appeared. It rebooted after 30 seconds or so and it acted fine the rest of the way home.

Anyone had something like this happen before? I updated to 28.6 this morning before the drive. Drive to my destination worked fine (45 min drive each way).

So, I was driving home, navigating on autopilot with a destination in the nav, when all of a sudden the screen went black, the air blasted on full for a few seconds, and then the Tesla logo appeared. It rebooted after 30 seconds or so and it acted fine the rest of the way home.

Anyone had something like this happen before? I updated to 28.6 this morning before the drive. Drive to my destination worked fine (45 min drive each way).

did AP (or anything else) drop out?
Did nav reset or otherwise forget where it was going?

I had my first Y reboot yesterday. 2020.36.12

The most important aspect of reboot IMO is that drivers be aware that it can happen. Of course I was going 85mph. Speed control stayed engaged. Don't know if TACC was working. In the future I plan to always tap the brake when the screen goes blank.

Not a biggie as long as the driver remembers to "fly the plane first".

• Love
Reactions: X-pilot

yes. My comment is below

The good thing is that you can continue driving, you just lose information. The screen has a tendency to crash once after a new software update. You can force a reboot of the screen after an update to reduces your chances of it happening while you drive. I've seen multiple screen crashes when using Youtube, Netflix or the web browser but not in general driving.

I believe FSD is completely unrelated to that screen. I think there's another computer specifically for FSD. As I said, the car continues to work perfectly fine even with that screen off.
Yup, IIRC from investor/autonomy day.. there are actually two independent motherboards/processors for FSD... but still, none of these systems should be rebooting while underway. It's very disruptive and distracting.

This happened to me today. MYLR V2021.3.104

Had it happen to me once on the way to work. I was using Autopilot and it kept working without a hitch. I obviously had my hands on the wheel, ready to take over but I never needed to. I didn’t try cancelling AP, changing speeds, etc and was only driving straight so I don’t know what would have happened had I changed anything.

As others have commented, it seems that the systems that actually control the car operate at a lower level and independent of the display itself so the display system can reboot without affecting the rest of the car.