Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen shuts off after Fridays update? [issue caused by non standard characters in contacts]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello fellow Tesla enthusiasts!!

Just joined the forums, I have a 2019 Model 3 AWD that I bought used in June. She has been amazing to me ever since Friday after we had a software update that had to do with text messaging.

When leaving work in the afternoon my wife shoots me a text message and my screen went dark and restarted while driving. Thought it was weird but didnt think much of it becuase I did not respond right away. While sitting in bumper to bumper traffic as I do on a daily basis, I sent her back a text and it was fine, when she replied it happened again! The more she texted me the more my screen went crazy and kept restarting. I pulled over and Facetimed her and same thing, screen kept restarting. I hung up. waited for screen to come back up, and this time CALLED her, SAME THING! I am pretty tech savvy so this is the troubleshooting I have done thus far:

1: I completely restarted the screen by pushing both buttons on steering wheel until screen went back and T came back up, essentially imitating the issue but without texting, a forced restart.
Results: nothing changed, still kept restarting when getting texts, NOT sending texts.

2: I was on a BETA iOS program on my phone, so I would get more frequent updates on my phone, I completely removed the profile on my phone and went to regular iOS 14 that the general public has
Results: nothing changed, same symptoms

3. I completely removed my phone from the car and added it again via bluetooth.
Results: nothing changed, same symptoms

4. I have narrowed the issue down to only when my wife texts me. I have tried with other people and it does not happen, we are both on same versions, so strange.

I have an appt set up with Tesla for Thursday but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this and if you guys had any pointers or quick fixes so I wouldnt waste Teslas nor my time. I think the last thing I want to do is go BACK an update on the car but not sure how to do that, if it is possible, or if that would solve anything. Thanks for any responses.

Tesla Version: 2020.48.10 F8900CDDD03A
My phone version: iOS 14.3
Wife phone version: iOS 14.3

Basically looks like a software bug in 2020.48.10.

The service guys won't be able to address the issue for you, other than to make sure it's reported to Tesla as a high severity and make sure you get an update pushed to your car quickly once one is available. Hopefully they fix it soon. Until then, I guess you should tell your wife to minimize texting you!

Basically looks like a software bug in 2020.48.10.

The service guys won't be able to address the issue for you, other than to make sure it's reported to Tesla as a high severity and make sure you get an update pushed to your car quickly once one is available. Hopefully they fix it soon. Until then, I guess you should tell your wife to minimize texting you!
Figured as much, ugh.

Can you clarify? How do I do this?

the best way to do that, is to use the POWER OFF button in the menu settings (I think its under service but poke around and you will find it).

The way I do this is:

1. while in car, open driver door but dont get out, then select POWER OFF in the menu. Once the screen goes black, exit the car through the already opened door then close it.

2. Wait at least 7-10 minutes before entering the car again, to allow the car to fully go to sleep.

the best way to do that, is to use the POWER OFF button in the menu settings (I think its under service but poke around and you will find it).

The way I do this is:

1. while in car, open driver door but dont get out, then select POWER OFF in the menu. Once the screen goes black, exit the car through the already opened door then close it.

2. Wait at least 7-10 minutes before entering the car again, to allow the car to fully go to sleep.
Will try that now, thanks!

The way I do this is:

Doesn't closing the door turn the car back on again? As far as I understand it you have to stay in the car during the power off process - any door action will wake it back up. I could be wrong of course.

Doesn't closing the door turn the car back on again? As far as I understand it you have to stay in the car during the power off process - any door action will wake it back up. I could be wrong of course.

It doesnt when I do it that way (or it didnt when I did this last, which was the last update I did about 10 days ago).

I think the action of opening the door is what wakes it up, not closing it. Thats why I open the door first, hit power off, then close the door. I actually do this after every update (power off the car). Might not be necessary but I dont have any of the strange gremlins that people report after updates, either.

I only do the updates at home, and power the car down after the update, and simply get in the next time I am going somewhere... which used to be the next morning, but now could be anywhere between "the next morning" and 6 days from now" (rofl).

It doesnt when I do it that way (or it didnt when I did this last, which was the last update I did about 10 days ago).

I think the action of opening the door is what wakes it up, not closing it. Thats why I open the door first, hit power off, then close the door. I actually do this after every update (power off the car). Might not be necessary but I dont have any of the strange gremlins that people report after updates, either.

I only do the updates at home, and power the car down after the update, and simply get in the next time I am going somewhere... which used to be the next morning, but now could be anywhere between "the next morning" and 6 days from now" (rofl).
I tried this with no luck, and now the issue is expanding to other people not just my wife, ugh. Will tell Tesla to put me on top of update list when I go on Thursday lol.

Just got a call from Tesla, there was some corrupt data which was repaired. He also mentioned that if I had any special characters in my bluetooh device names on my phone to remove them, for example " ! ? = + Weird. He also said if my spotify playlist had any special characters then to remove those as well. I am heading to pick it up soon and will try out the repaired software and report back. The guy on the phone was semi-confused as well saying this is the first time he heard of something like this lol.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt and KenC
The special characters issue I have heard before here on these boards. Basically, ensure no contacts have special characters in the name
Funny you should say that:

I get in the car in the Tesla service parking lot, noticing everything had been completely reset bc all my settings and profiles were deleted. I text my wife and bam, same exact issue. After the text I noticed that my wifes name has the dancing girl emoji as part of her name, never realized it until last night lol, I delete the emoji and what do you know, issue has been RESOLVED!!

Coincidently my car gets a new update available on my app right before going to bed, 2020.48.12.1, have not tried texting her since the latest update but the issue seems to have been resolved, what a weird bug.

I was gonna ask if texts from your girlfriend had the same issue, but my better breeding prevailed...

Anyway, that is really interesting about the emoji or non text characters in the filenames causing issues. In the automation systems at my TV station, we found that non text characters (punctuation, "special" characters, etc.) will bring the system to its knees. Not just a file not found type error, but system halt - we're off the rails - flame out - we're all gonna die problems. Took awhile to suss out that little issue, and now we have inserted a filter in the software. And spoke sharply to the vendor.

The things you encounter,,,

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Funny you should say that:

I get in the car in the Tesla service parking lot, noticing everything had been completely reset bc all my settings and profiles were deleted. I text my wife and bam, same exact issue. After the text I noticed that my wifes name has the dancing girl emoji as part of her name, never realized it until last night lol, I delete the emoji and what do you know, issue has been RESOLVED!!

Coincidently my car gets a new update available on my app right before going to bed, 2020.48.12.1, have not tried texting her since the latest update but the issue seems to have been resolved, what a weird bug.

Thanks for circling back and closing the loop on this.

Reactions: drdumont