Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screw in tyre - have I been ‘lucky’?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just discovered a screw in the rear offside tyre. Think it’s only just happened as heard a crunching noise on the way home.

It’s gone in at quite an angle so wondering if I’ve got lucky and it’s only in the wall. What do you think?

IMG_0557.jpeg

Just discovered a screw in the rear offside tyre. Think it’s only just happened as heard a crunching noise on the way home.

It’s gone in at quite an angle so wondering if I’ve got lucky and it’s only in the wall. What do you think?

View attachment 995781
I think there is only really one way to find out. But if its a puncture it will probably be a new tyre. Most places won't fix a puncture that close to the sidewall.

Reactions: M1tch
I think there is only really one way to find out. But if its a puncture it will probably be a new tyre. Most places won't fix a puncture that close to the sidewall.
Oh, that’s not good 😒

I haven’t got a plug kit but probably worth getting one before I attempt to take it out I guess?

I’ve only done 2500 miles so hopefully I can get away with just changing the one tyre if it’s needs doing.

Where’s the best place to get a matching Hankook fitted?

Oh, that’s not good 😒

I haven’t got a plug kit but probably worth getting one before I attempt to take it out I guess?

I’ve only done 2500 miles so hopefully I can get away with just changing the one tyre if it’s needs doing.

I had one replaced at 5k for a similar puncture. and I only bought 1 I think at 2.5K you will be fine on that front.
I got mine from a local garage because they could do next day but Black Circles would have been 15% cheaper if I could have waited 2 days but I needed it sorting ASAP.
If there is a puncture I would think you would be seeing a slow loss of pressure I did with both my punctures. but yes a plug kit would work as a temporary measure. not sure I would trust them longer term.

Reactions: notmeguv
Oh, that’s not good 😒

If you find a friendly local place they could be willing to patch that if necessary. I've had tyres on other cars that were close calls which dealers insisted could not be patched but our friendly local place were happy to fix. Yours from the photo looks probably too close to the edge to patch if the screw is long and did penetrate the carcass but it's worth asking some place you trust.

I got mine from a local garage because they could do next day but Black Circles would have been 15% cheaper if I could have waited 2 days but I needed it sorting ASAP.
My local garage is black circles premiere. When I was there once a black circles delivery came in and I got chatting to the delivery driver.

Even though he was black circles, he suggested buying next time from the garage direct. It would be cheaper and likely to be just as quick if not quicker. And the garage would make a bit more money than just the fitting fee that black circles give them.

That garage also fit customer supplied tyres if unused and legitimately sourced. I did this for another set of slightly non standard tyres from a Motorsport company.

tl:dr find a black circles garage and approach them directly.

Kwik Fit are showing £270 fitted for one tyre (Hankook Ventus S1 Evo3 K127 EV). A local garage I used for my Scooby a few times in the past are showing the same for £170 fitted but will be a 3 day wait.

I’ll go and get a plug kit tomorrow and then pull the screw out. If it is punctured I’ll run it to the local on Monday and see what they think.

Anyone know if I need to inform or go through the lease company? It’s a business (my small Ltd) lease but is new territory for me.

Last edited:
Phoned up a local fitter who said to spray soapy water on the tyre and slowly undo the screw. If bubbles indicate a leak then screw it back in and bring the car in.

Luckily it was only half a screw and there were no bubbles. Tyre pressure has remained constant.

The matching Hankook tyre with T1 rating would have been £290 so glad I didn’t have to replace it…. this time at least!

IMG_0561.jpeg

Phoned up a local fitter who said to spray soapy water on the tyre and slowly undo the screw. If bubbles indicate a leak then screw it back in and bring the car in.

Luckily it was only half a screw and there were no bubbles. Tyre pressure has remained constant.

The matching Hankook tyre with T1 rating would have been £290 so glad I didn’t have to replace it…. this time at least!

View attachment 996550
Very lucky!
Twice happened after been new, less than 3k. miles