Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SDG&E "Power Your Drive" Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone here participate in this program? I find it quite frustrating as someone who drives around to different businesses for a living, sees a bunch of unused ChargePoint L2 chargers at an office park and can't charge because my account isn't authorized. These chargers are scattered about all over the industrial park areas in and around Carlsbad.

Does anyone here participate in this program? I find it quite frustrating as someone who drives around to different businesses for a living, sees a bunch of unused ChargePoint L2 chargers at an office park and can't charge because my account isn't authorized. These chargers are scattered about all over the industrial park areas in and around Carlsbad.

I've ran into ChargePoint chargers that won't accept my ChargePoint pass in industrial/commercial parks in Irvine. And they are often ICE'd or have an EV parked that's not plugged in.

I've ran into ChargePoint chargers that won't accept my ChargePoint pass in industrial/commercial parks in Irvine. And they are often ICE'd or have an EV parked that's not plugged in.

I visited a building in Carlsbad earlier today that must have had 10 ChargePoint chargers out in front. Not a single one was in use and I was denied access.

SDG&E seems to be quick to toot its own horn regarding its impressive charging infrastructure build-out. Too bad hardly anyone can use it.

You can't charge at those because you don't have the Connections Code from the workplaces that installed them. My work's Chargepoints will only let employees charge and have a Connections Code where you enter in Chargepoint app or website.

Do they actually fill up? With people charging?

I went to JPL and wanted to grab a few kWh while I was working with a customer, and all their lab plug (probably 30) were filled. They put in a huge amount at the Cal Tech garage, but IIRC, they aren't filling up. Students seldom have money for electric cars. Books are $200 each now.

You can't charge at those because you don't have the Connections Code from the workplaces that installed them. My work's Chargepoints will only let employees charge and have a Connections Code where you enter in Chargepoint app or website.

Yeah I realize that... I just think it's pretty short sighted for SDG&E to keep them restricted. Even to those with access, they're not free. SDG&E charges market rate for the electricity so there shouldn't be any fear of freeloaders hoarding them (like the Volta chargers at Whole Foods...). I have a live ChargePoint account, so why not take my money? I can understand if a private business used their own resources to install them but in this case SDG&E covers the bulk of the installation cost and all of the maintenance.

Do they actually fill up? With people charging?

I went to JPL and wanted to grab a few kWh while I was working with a customer, and all their lab plug (probably 30) were filled. They put in a huge amount at the Cal Tech garage, but IIRC, they aren't filling up. Students seldom have money for electric cars. Books are $200 each now.

At my workplace, they do get filled up frequently. But I think most companies would only want their employees to park near their property so they restricted it even if they are not full. They may not be paying for installing them but they are located at their property (maybe rental).

I remember reading about the ones at CalTech. Someone made a post here when they were installing them a few years back. I didn't know they were also restricted.. thought they were for anyone who has parking permit to park there. But there is a supercharger at Pasadena (is it open yet?).

At my workplace, they do get filled up frequently. But I think most companies would only want their employees to park near their property so they restricted it even if they are not full. They may not be paying for installing them but they are located at their property (maybe rental).

I remember reading about the ones at CalTech. Someone made a post here when they were installing them a few years back. I didn't know they were also restricted.. thought they were for anyone who has parking permit to park there. But there is a supercharger at Pasadena (is it open yet?).

The CalTech one are public for now, but so are the JPL ones on the same land. The JPL ones get filled due to the fact they are closest to the entrance.

Yes, the company I work at does. Consider them as private gas stations.. basically same thing. The power may be free, or subsidized by the company that the station is located at, and you must be an employee of the company the specific station is at in order to even set it up.

It was a pain in the butt to even get signed up for the one at the company I work for, and, well I work there. Lot of hoops.

We have 10 stations and between 1 and 4-5 are normally used, but we are getting more EVs on campus. Its not a public parking lot so, shrug. If you do business with them, maybe they will give you the codes to get setup there.

If you had badge access to our building at our company you could likely get the codes from our security department though.

Alright... Shhh, don't tell anyone but I was just approved for site access at one of the locations I visit regularly.

Step 1: Look up the Site ID at this website:
Power Your Drive Pricing Plan | San Diego Gas & Electric

Step 2: Enroll as a Driver at this website using the Side ID from above and the same email address connected with your ChargePoint account:
Power Your Drive EV Drivers | San Diego Gas & Electric

Step 3: Wait for approval email from ChargePoint. Here's the part that surprised me. I used my personal email address and didn't speak to anyone at the site but someone, somewhere rubber stamped it! I was fully expected to get rejected but nope!

Step 4: Log in to ChargePoint and add the site connection to your account.