Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SDGE customers with solar out there?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some thoughts I hope folks find useful...

* The work going on to migrate folks to the new TOU pricing plans is optional. If that happens and you don't want it, you can opt out and go back to the rate you were on before (such as the DR tiered rate). EV rate customers are exempt from the migration.
* Rate switching can be done every 12 months. There is a tool on the "MyAccount" page that will do some analysis with your annual consumption data to figure out rate differences.
* NEM is not a rate . Being a NEM customer means you can export your excess energy to the grid and get retail price for it (up to your annual consumption amount). Energy exported above and beyond your annual consumption is reimbursed at a wholesale rate.
* Being a NEM customer has nothing to do with your rate. You can be on the DR rate, the EV-TOU2 rate, the EV-TOU5 rate, etc and still be a NEM customer.
* Your NEM 20 year grandfathering feature means you can sell to the grid and get retail pricing (within your annual consumption) for the full 20 year period.
* The concept of NEM and storage is based on renewable energy (i.e. exporting renewable energy to the grid or charging batteries from solar). You aren't supposed to charge an energy storage system with grid power when prices are lower and export it during the peak time (as someone said above - the incentives are paid to help build renewable energy projects).
* Seems like I shouldn't have to say this, but wide-spread cheating could eventually cause the design or requirements of programs like NEM to be changed.

Randy chimed in with what I was going to contribute here. Lots of confusion w/r/t NEM, rates, etc.

The only thing I would add is if you are NEM 1.0 and expand your system, you become NEM 2.0 which means you will have ~$10/mo. in fees that cannot be offset unless you over generate so much that you make up the difference at $.03 or whatever the wholesale rate is.

Additionally, it's my understanding that everyone will be TOU eventually. Tiered rates will be phased out over the next year or two.

I'm in a similar situation. Model 3, and just got solar panels. Currently on TOU5 which has super off peak rate of $0.09 kwh from midnight to 6am. For that privilege, there's a $16/month charge, IIRC. There's a $200/yw sdge rebate if you have an electric vehicle, so that should cover the $16/month.

Reactions: WallyP
I'm in a similar situation. Model 3, and just got solar panels. Currently on TOU5 which has super off peak rate of $0.09 kwh from midnight to 6am. For that privilege, there's a $16/month charge, IIRC. There's a $200/yw sdge rebate if you have an electric vehicle, so that should cover the $16/month.

The carbon-credit rebate went up to $500 last year. Already went up for this year for SCE and PGE. Don't know for SDGE, but info will be available March 1 (tomorrow).

• Informative
Reactions: WallyP
The carbon-credit rebate went up to $500 last year. Already went up for this year for SCE and PGE. Don't know for SDGE, but info will be available March 1 (tomorrow).

The $850 SDG&E EV rebate was applied to our account at the end of July. We bought two model 3s last year, so we were credited $1700. We bought Tesla solar in April and our 1-year NEM true-up period began in May. I was worried they would just let the credit sit there until the end of our True-up period next year, but I called them last week about it and they said, no problem and cut me a check for the credit amount the next day. Just got it in the mail today - So cool !!

The $850 SDG&E EV rebate was applied to our account at the end of July. We bought two model 3s last year, so we were credited $1700. We bought Tesla solar in April and our 1-year NEM true-up period began in May. I was worried they would just let the credit sit there until the end of our True-up period next year, but I called them last week about it and they said, no problem and cut me a check for the credit amount the next day. Just got it in the mail today - So cool !!

Hey, that's great to know! I thought the credit just had to sit in the account until used up and didn't even think to call them to ask for a check.

I had solar before buying my model 3 so my system size was based off just running my house at net zero. I am on NEM-1 and it's very easy to calculate. How much KWh do I produce vs how much I use.....Last year my bill was $100. Now enter model 3 and based off the first month, I have added about 600 KWh of use per month. So now what?

I am considering an EV-TOU plan but I have gotten conflicting answers from SDGE on how solar is calculated in the whole thing. Do they still calculate my production vs use then charge the rate based off when I used that energy? Do they calculate the charges for all use and solar is earning me a dollar credit?

If the second is true it's hard to me to decide whether I want to switch off net metering. I feel like the credited rate for solar production is always so terrible.

Anyone out there that can shed some light? Switch to an EV-TOU? Try and add a few panels and just hope I stay in tier 2 or below for usage?

Thank you!
I was in the same boat. Bought a PW II and 9 panels to charge it. I was able under HECO’s NEM-2 program. Now, I use PW during peak and recharge during day. I’m also sending to the grid(~4-8 kWh/day), adding to my original system. I went from $135-145/mos to $40/mos. That includes charging the 3. FWIW....

Can't you only claim the federal one time per house? Adding powerwall after the pv install doesn't count? I'm assuming they already claimed for the pv install.
As long as the PW and original PV system are separate, you can claim another Fed/State refund. Regardless, any additional energy produced by a PW system goes to your grid bank, adding to the original system output.