Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SDGE customers with solar out there?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had solar before buying my model 3 so my system size was based off just running my house at net zero. I am on NEM-1 and it's very easy to calculate. How much KWh do I produce vs how much I use.....Last year my bill was $100. Now enter model 3 and based off the first month, I have added about 600 KWh of use per month. So now what?

I am considering an EV-TOU plan but I have gotten conflicting answers from SDGE on how solar is calculated in the whole thing. Do they still calculate my production vs use then charge the rate based off when I used that energy? Do they calculate the charges for all use and solar is earning me a dollar credit?

If the second is true it's hard to me to decide whether I want to switch off net metering. I feel like the credited rate for solar production is always so terrible.

Anyone out there that can shed some light? Switch to an EV-TOU? Try and add a few panels and just hope I stay in tier 2 or below for usage?

Thank you!

Reactions: GutsyGibbon
Do they calculate the charges for all use and solar is earning me a dollar credit?

If the second is true it's hard to me to decide whether I want to switch off net metering. I feel like the credited rate for solar production is always so terrible.
Yep. Electricity isn’t worth much in the middle of the day in California anymore due to all the solar. The key is to figure out ways to reduce use during the peak 4-9 period. My guess is you would be better off with EV-TOU if you’re net 600kwh per month but it really depends on how much power you use at peak times.

Yep. Electricity isn’t worth much in the middle of the day in California anymore due to all the solar. The key is to figure out ways to reduce use during the peak 4-9 period. My guess is you would be better off with EV-TOU if you’re net 600kwh per month but it really depends on how much power you use at peak times.

Well the added 600 KWh is all my EV charging so that would be easy to switch to off peak. AC for summer time will be difficult. I wish I could try that rate for a few months and switch back if I wanted.... Damn you SDGE

You should be able to add up to 10% to your capacity without affecting your nem 1. So what is adding 600kwh production do for your system size?

How about separate meter for your garage and have that at EV Tou so it won't affect your main nem 1.0 and maybe with a power wall to that separate account?

You should be able to add up to 10% to your capacity without affecting your nem 1. So what is adding 600kwh production do for your system size?

How about separate meter for your garage and have that at EV Tou so it won't affect your main nem 1.0 and maybe with a power wall to that separate account?
I am leaning toward a separate meter set-up like you suggested. 10% additional would only put a small dent in the 600 KWh.

I have been interested in powerwall for a couple years. If only Tesla had that whole process figured out... It's a bit of a nightmare. I assume you are suggesting the powerwall on the existing NEM/house system? Not point in putting in on the separate EV meter...right?

I am leaning toward a separate meter set-up like you suggested. 10% additional would only put a small dent in the 600 KWh.

I have been interested in powerwall for a couple years. If only Tesla had that whole process figured out... It's a bit of a nightmare. I assume you are suggesting the powerwall on the existing NEM/house system? Not point in putting in on the separate EV meter...right?

Yesterday, someone started a discussion in the local San Diego Tesla Owner's FB page. Lot's of good info, so I recommend joining the group and checking that out.

Well your house is 100% covered by your pv. $100 for the whole year is pretty much 100% in my book. So I don't know what you would do with a battery.

For the garage, powerwall if you charge during peak and/or you see a second EV in the future.

Well your house is 100% covered by your pv. $100 for the whole year is pretty much 100% in my book. So I don't know what you would do with a battery.

For the garage, powerwall if you charge during peak and/or you see a second EV in the future.
You could charge the battery at $0.10/kWh and use it when rates are $0.54/kWh. It might actually make economic sense at those rates.

Ah. I forgot about that! You could cheat... Or you could use your solar to charge when rates are $0.28/kWh and discharge at $0.52. Probably doesn't make economic sense since that's only for 5(?) months out of the year.

Yeah, there are ways to set it up in the Tesla app so you only discharge during peak hours. I haven't found the best setup yet, but I'm still in the black with charging 90% at home, and the $500 SDGE credit.

Ah. I forgot about that! You could cheat... Or you could use your solar to charge when rates are $0.28/kWh and discharge at $0.52. Probably doesn't make economic sense since that's only for 5(?) months out of the year.

Not really, your installer sets up the profile and the Powerwall will function off of those settings. Of course you could hack the firmware and make it do whatever you want, however, in violating the usage per the interconnection agreement, your utility may penalize or pull your PTO.