Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat heaters - how hot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
picked up a 2019 X 6-seater a month ago and noticed that the seat heaters are particularly weak compared to my 2018 Model 3. In the 3, at highest setting they feel like they’ll burn me. On the X, I barely feel them.

At highest setting, drivers seat seems luke warm. Passenger seat next to driver seems a little better. Rear most seats the same. Have car seats in middle, so couldn’t test but will test later.

Anyone notice the same when comparing to the 3? Are the X warmers not as good? Or how would the service center test (set to max, use heat gun, what temp is acceptable?).

Reactions: IvesSM
I leave my 2017 X driver seat on low, but my wife complains that the passenger seat doesn't *stay* hot on the high setting. She has driven my X and ridden in the middle row as well, and she says those seats work way better than the passenger seat. Service center insists nothing is wrong. Sounds like a lottery to me based on my vehicle alone.

I have a mobile service appt set for next week. Tesla probably thinks it’s a nothing burger, but I’m glad it’s a mobile visit so I can show them what I’m seeing.

I plan on showing him the steering wheel is super hot compared to the seats, and that the 3 is also super hot. The only hole in my plan is since all the seats in the X are weak, they could just say “that’s how it is”. We’ll see!

Reactions: preilly44
I tested all my seats today with a temp gun.

Ambient temp of seat and surrounding trim: 62F
Steering wheel - 88-92F
5 out of 6 seats: 70-75F
1 out of 6 seats: 80-84F

2018 Model 3 comparison: all seats 88-92F

This will be an interesting one. I bet Tesla says it’s fine because it’s better than replacing 5 seats. Stay tuned!

Mobile service came and agreed that the seats warmers are busted. I got out of their way and let them do their thing, but i did see them use a voltmeter for some diagnostics. They said they'll let me know next steps - he wasn't sure if a seat cushion or the heater element could be swapped out or what. In my search for broken seat warmers, all were fixed with a seat replacement except one thread mentioned trying to change a module but it didn't work so they had to change the seat anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
I have similar issue like yours I have a 2017 X. I have let the service know that the seats get hot and after 5 to 10 mins it will become lukewarm and come back again. My passenger side is the most affected. But service says there is nothing wrong. And it is normal. I'm just wondering if anyone who has 2017 model x have the same issue? I also have a 3 and it doesn't change Temps unless I put in auto. But 2017 x doesn't have auto temp for heated seat. I never had this type of heated seat behavior on my other cars. Is this normal for 2017 model x?

I leave my 2017 X driver seat on low, but my wife complains that the passenger seat doesn't *stay* hot on the high setting. She has driven my X and ridden in the middle row as well, and she says those seats work way better than the passenger seat. Service center insists nothing is wrong. Sounds like a lottery to me based on my vehicle alone.
I have the exact same problem in my 2019 MX. The service center also insisted nothing was wrong at first, but now they are investigating further. Did anyone get a resolution that I can share with my service techs so they know what to look for?