Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat pre-warming broken?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My M3P was upgraded to 2021.44.30.14 a few days ago. Since then it seems that pre-warming the seats has ceased to work! I normally turn climate on from the app a few minutes before going out and at the same time turn the seat heaters on. It appears to work at the time but, when you get in the car a few minutes later, while the car interior is warmed up the seats remain cold. Anyone else noticed this behaviour?
I would add that turning the seat heaters on from within the car works fine.

My M3P was upgraded to 2021.44.30.14 a few days ago. Since then it seems that pre-warming the seats has ceased to work! I normally turn climate on from the app a few minutes before going out and at the same time turn the seat heaters on. It appears to work at the time but, when you get in the car a few minutes later, while the car interior is warmed up the seats remain cold. Anyone else noticed this behaviour?
I would add that turning the seat heaters on from within the car works fine.
I see the same behaviour which started in 2021.44 and continues in 2022.4.5

I have hunch that there is some logic to do with seat occupancy detection that prevents the seat heating on the maximum setting, I've seen similar behaviour if I try and warm the passenger seat in anticipation of a passenger that I'm going to pick up and where the seat doesn't seem to get hot until they are actually sat in it!

I see the same behaviour which started in 2021.44 and continues in 2022.4.5

I have hunch that there is some logic to do with seat occupancy detection that prevents the seat heating on the maximum setting, I've seen similar behaviour if I try and warm the passenger seat in anticipation of a passenger that I'm going to pick up and where the seat doesn't seem to get hot until they are actually sat in it!
Interesting. It's not just maximum setting though. I always use the middle setting (two wavy lines) when pre-warming and that's stopped working too.

I think that Tesla has revised the cabin heating strategy with the aim of optimising comfort and energy consumption. The seat heaters are a part of that, rather than being standalone items.
I pre-condition the car to 20C every morning and when I open the door it is like getting back into the house. The seats are not heated, but when I drive away they come on promptly, so that the overall result is that I remain warm.
This is another aspect of the Tesla philosophy that the driver doesn't need to do very much at all and at the pinnacle of that ambition is fully autonomous driving.
Fully autonomous HVAC is achievable: I'm uncertain about driving....

With 2022.4.5.3, my seat heaters do come on initially with pre-warming. They also turn off when the set internal temperature is reached.

I have them set to auto.

This is irrespective of seat occupancy.

I just tested this now.

Fully autonomous HVAC is achievable: I'm uncertain about driving....
😂😂😂👏👏👏

I’m off topic news, my wife’s Land Rover had just had Alexa added. Voice control works perfectly 🙄
(Of course the Land Rover’s air suspension will fail and the EGR valves go, and all the rest; it’s not our first rodeo)

I booked my car into the SC today for the same problem. Pre-conditioning the car with both front seats set at 2 lines resulted in a warm passenger seat but cold drivers seat. The drivers seat only started to warm up on setting 3.
The SC phoned to say they have reported the issue with my car to Tesla technical, so I'm currently awaiting an update.