Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SEC Opening Inquiry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am no special pleader for the SEC. I think that like many government agencies, they are not worth the money and time they take up. They tend to be politicized and, for lack of a better word, arbitrary. If they exit to protect investors and ensure fair financial markets, they do a very poor job.
You should read about what it was like before the SEC. I have stories from my grandmother. Complete wild west, frauds everywhere. However, since roughly 2000, the SEC has started to go AWOL on the stuff it really should have been investigating (like the systemic frauds at many of the major banks; Enron; Worldcom; etc.). It's slowly getting to be bascially like investing without the SEC.

Entertaining past predictions.

If the WSJ gets additional information showing their original article is incorrect, they will publish a retraction

If the SEC does not launch an investigation, then Tesla might have some recourse, but I doubt the WSJ would put themselves in that position.

I think it now looks like there is no SEC investigation and the WSJ was lied to and didn't fact check their source and probably got taken by a now squeezed short seller.

How do you know that there is no SEC investigation? How do you know that the WSJ did not do their job by vetting their source?

predict that the next time Tesla has a filing that includes a Risk Factors section, there will be revised disclosure that focuses more on the risks of AP and regulation of AP.

After I hit show ignored posts, there are a couple more amusing predictions.

I will go out on a limb here and predict that the next time Tesla has a filing that includes a Risk Factors section, there will be revised disclosure that focuses more on the risks of AP and regulation of AP.

You are very uninformed on how the process works. It could take years very the SEC to publish their findings if any. I had one that was open for 4 years on a very minor matter.

BTW, it looks like @Eclectic may have been right on the Rak Factors section this round and I think/hope Elon has learned his lesson wrt the SEC and the NHTSA regulators.

There is no additional risk factor disclosure on autopilot between the Feb 2016 10-k and the 2017 10-k. There is additional disclose on the solar energy and energy storage business. But they didn't add anything more to their existing autopilot disclosure in the product liability claim and subject to regulation risk factor disclosures.