Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second thoughts on FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn’t pay for performance either. At least FSD will get better with time. Always something new to look forward to with each update. The novelty of acceleration soon wears off especially when you don’t have a safe place to use it. The places where you can use FSD features will become more and more widespread.

For me it was the novelty of FSD that quickly wore off. Performance was a must have for me on the M3.

I agree that no one would buy FSD for what it can do now (which is almost nothing). I believe that in two or three years it will have reached Level 3, and that would certainly be worth it for me. We are yet to see the undoubted benefits of what HW3.0 can achieve.
If in 2 or 3 years the price has risen by £1,000 then buying now is a good investment. That is why I included it in my order. Perhaps I have too much faith in Elon Musk and his computer team!
FSD was then £4,900. On my order agreement it is now given as £5,800. Does that mean that I have to pay for every price rise between when I ordered and when I get delivery?

you changed from £4900 to £5800 when Tesla lowered the price of the car - they simply repriced everything - some bits would have gone down, some bits, ie FSD increased. Apparently, Tesla honour overall order price reductions between configuration, but not price increases. Will be interesting to see what happens if currency or duty forces their hand or government grant changes.

• Helpful
Reactions: Jetson Jones
So this is a good read as I am currently at a place where I am thinking FSD or no FSD. Looks like the thread hasn't been updated in a while so where are people now (considering updates etc).

What about those that where keeping FSD on their order was it worth it in the end .... @RjbT3 @Durzel ?

I doubt FSD will ever be a thing in the UK, I cannot see the conversation whilst coding the scenario of a fatal incident at a zebra crossing with only 3 possible outcomes, old man, mother plus child or the driver, a choice that is usually a drivers decision made in a split second.

I don't have FSD and only use autodrive in motorway traffic jams, the times I have tried it in normal driving conditions I have found it to be over cautious around other cars and corners, understandably so, but so much so that I would never want to be driven around in such a manner and the thought of even being behind someone using FSD like that would cause road rage.

Last edited:
I too don't think it will be a reality in the UK for at least 10 years, not in the sense that you could expect the car to drive itself from A to B without intervention or at least drivers seat supervision, but if it can continue to reduce the mental and physical fatigue from commuting, etc then it will be all for the better. The regulatory issues will take at least that long to iron out too.

On my test drive I found regular autopilot to be a revelation. I'm aware of the limitations of FSD in the here and now but was ok paying for it. Part of me would've felt like I was missing something, as crippled as Summon is, etc.

According to this..

green on Twitter

..EU & Canada will be getting the FSD visualisations (traffic cones? traffic lights?) that the States have had for a bit. Oh, and exFAT support for the sentry drive, which is nice.

EDIT: Actually I think the visualisations will be for anyone who has HW3, so everyone over here?

With the U.K. now out of the the E.U., Tesla would need to obtain additional regulatory approval for its our (relatively) limited market. Nice if it happens, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

I think the opposite :) UK could become a world leader on the legislation around this. We are trusted for that sort of stuff, and unencumbered by the lethargy of obtaining consensus of all EU states we will be (well ... "if we choose to do anything at all" <sigh>) very agile.

Not sure what it gets us in return, but the cast-bread-on-water approach usually has unanticipated upsides