Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Performance of TSLA share price has absolutely nothing to do with the performance of a Tesla car :)

Ever since 2008, Tesla’s supposed to have been ‘going broke in a few months’. Hasn’t happened yet.

As you’ve bought a car (and presumably not $50,000 worth of shares) AND the car has been delivered, you have something with tangible value (unlike shares that are talked up and down by the Wall St analysts).

You’ve made a sound investment (no doubt you carefully chose the version of the Model 3 that will give you the most utility and value) and I thank you for contributing to Tesla’s success. I’m really keen to order a Model 3 once they are available in my country.

-Alex

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadS and hcdavis3
just took delivery of shiny blue 3, AWD LR.
However we are concerned about TSLA.

Should we return it now while we can rather than ride out a possible bad financial choice.

Opinions?

What bad financial situation? Tesla has over $4B in the bank. Selling all the cars they can make with 20%+ gross margins. Building a Gigafactory in China. Just bought Maxwell Tech for $200M.

What are you talking about? Drive the car.

Tesla has reached critical mass, and leads in almost every aspect of EVs. Their competition would quickly buy them if they could. Though Tesla have had no trouble raising money when they need it.

Once the factory in China gets producing, margins and volume will improve. They will then fully realize the benefits of their massive R&D spending.

Come on guys. It’s not unreasonable for someone who is purchasing a very expensive car to have concerns about the financial viability of the manufacturer. We need Tesla to be around to continue to provide warranty support on the car and to continue to make parts available if things break or accidents happen.

Buyer’s remorse has been around for as long as cars have been around and some people go through this anxiety after any major purchase.

I had the same concerns before buying both of our Model 3’s, and I still pay attention to it, but in the end I enjoy driving the car and nothing in life is a guarantee.

Reactions: alexGS
just took delivery of shiny blue 3, AWD LR.
However we are concerned about TSLA.

Should we return it now while we can rather than ride out a possible bad financial choice.

Opinions?

My personal opinion, which is worth nothing, is that there is nothing to worry about. If Tesla gets cheap enough, or gets into a bind, they will be bought out by a large player. They have too much good tech and too much brand loyalty. The new owner would continue to service and support existing cars. And they might even do a better job of it.

I had the same concerns in 2014 when first bought. And I have zero regrets. Life is full of risks, but this seems to be a very minor one.,

With that said, it's your call, and you have to be comfortable with your choice.

Even if Tesla went broke (been hearing this since well before the Model S launch in 2012) there’s an enormous customer base, strong brand, and valuable IP.

Any automaker or tech company would buy the assets in a heartbeat and support the existing fleet.

For customers, little to worry about. Investors are another ball of wax and I don’t have the stomach for that, personally.

I bought a Model-X with a lease and invested a major amount in Tesla shares. I am quite confident that in 3 years when the lease expires, I will have the car for free with the gains made by Tesla stock. Here are a few reasons why -

1) Never before there was an auto company which gets so much of love by their owners. Look at the Tesla fans and ask for their feedback about the car and company. I am sure they will have some whining around bad interiors/finish etc. but none of them can live without their Tesla. Every Tesla owner only gets another Tesla and nothing else. This speaks so much about product quality.

2) Any sensible buyer today who has done a bit of research and could afford to buy Tesla - would have a serious look at the product. There is nothing exciting around anymore. The Audi E-Tron is basically another Audi with a battery - same goes with Mercedes. Teslas are a vehicle designed from the ground up and basically computers on wheels. This is an all-new category of the vehicle itself.

3) The biggest risk for Tesla was to ramp upscaling for Model 3. They have now figured how to produce cars at scale - which was next to impossible, to be honest. So this risk is not there anymore. The cash flow situation is easily surmountable - as already shown. The demand weakening is a bit of concern but that is also solvable due to higher product quality and bad competition.

My suggestion is to look at the fundamentals of Tesla and see how the future will play out. The current stock price is once in a lifetime opportunity and I am all in.

Reactions: rembaz
My 2cents:
Musk should be concerned because if the value of the stock goes down he could risk somebody getting the company from him.
The Tesla buyer should not.
FCA has to pay 2Billions to buy green certificates from tesla. One example of car manufacturer that could be interested in buying cheap the company.
Like it or not EV is the way forward,

Reactions: aagosh
Come on guys. It’s not unreasonable for someone who is purchasing a very expensive car to have concerns about the financial viability of the manufacturer. We need Tesla to be around to continue to provide warranty support on the car and to continue to make parts available if things break or accidents happen.

Buyer’s remorse has been around for as long as cars have been around and some people go through this anxiety after any major purchase.

I had the same concerns before buying both of our Model 3’s, and I still pay attention to it, but in the end I enjoy driving the car and nothing in life is a guarantee.
Look what bankruptcy did to GM. enjoy the car - might be the last one you'll ever need to buy. :rolleyes:

In my view there seems to be too much focus on Tesla (mostly for stock market reasons) and not enough consideration of context around the entire auto market in general.

U.S. Auto Sales Hit Massive Speed Bump. Yes, Even Jeep Wrangler Sales Declined

Canadian auto sales decline 7.3 per cent in January as downward trend continues - BNN Bloomberg

China auto sales slump continues in April

Focus on the product and its capabilities, are you satisfied with your purchase and believe you have something that is unmatched by anything else available today? Your Tesla Model 3 embodies the future---enjoy it.