Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second user id for second driver?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife has installed the iPhone Tesla app, which wants her to log in. We would prefer that she have her own user id and password linked to our Model S rather than use my credentials. Is there a way to do that?

Hackers taking over connected vehicles is going to be a big deal in the coming years. At best an invitation to car theft. At worst a great way to commit mass murder with impunity. A halfway decent security model would have an owner for each VIN, with the ability to grant and revoke access to other app users. This is cyber security 101; you don't share assets by sharing passwords.

Yeah, the current ID scheme is a pain. I've set up a super long password for my account that is easy for me to remember, but hard to type. Ideally, they should enable touch-ID on the iPhone at least. This way multiple people could use the app on their devices after they initially typed the password once. Following that, they could just use touch-ID.