Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking opinions: Upgrade now to FSD or wait?

Upgrade to FSD now or wait?

• Upgrade now

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • Wait

Votes: 73 83.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's NOT just a "new thing". First, it's a computer chip fast enough to handle FSD. Also, it's all 3 points taken together than give me hope for FSD. A computer chip capable of FSD calculations + beta testing FSD + new Autopilot feature. If it was just "we might have a super fast computer chip", no, that would not give me hope for FSD. But when Tesla develops a faster chip AND more importantly starts a program to actually beta test FSD, AND pushes out a new AP feature where the car can navigate highway directions on its own, yes that makes things a little bit more credible.

Personally I think it's reckless of Tesla to continue to allude to their progress in autonomy, when all the signs indicate that they aren't remotely a leader in this area. It encourages people to think of AP as more than advanced cruise control, and likely promotes a false sense of confidence in the system's abilities. These are cars that don't have blind spot monitoring in the mirrors simply because of Musk's stubbornness!

I parked at a friend's house a few weeks ago and his neighbour commented about my car: "that's a self-driving car, isn't it?" This is an old lady who has a Chrysler New Yorker and likely can't recognize the make or model of any other modern car on the market, yet she sees a Tesla and thinks it can drive itself.

I'd love to believe him, but Musk's latest comments just make me think he hasn't learnt a thing from the SEC fine and believes he has a license to invent his own reality.

They promised us the cars were fully hardware capable of FSD at the time we purchased them.

With the promise that the cars already had all the necessary hardware, I think it is unlikely they'll charge us for the computer upgrade. To do so would be to admit the cars we bought were not FSD capable.

I don't think you'd be able to find a single expert in self-driving / autonomy who believes that any Tesla has the hardware for true self-driving.

Tesla is so far ahead in terms of what they actually have: a complete range of electric cars that can be driven every day by anyone who has a moderate income, refuelled by a charging network that is light years ahead of anyone else's, and with a brand that would utterly dominate any survey of car people and non-car people alike if you asked them to name an electric car maker. Musk's need to hype vehicles and features that don't exist is just damaging, distracting and unnecessary when the most important thing he can do right now is build on the enormous real advantages Tesla has.

Reactions: Magellan55
I don't think you'd be able to find a single expert in self-driving / autonomy who believes that any Tesla has the hardware for true self-driving.

Tesla is so far ahead in terms of what they actually have: a complete range of electric cars that can be driven every day by anyone who has a moderate income, refuelled by a charging network that is light years ahead of anyone else's, and with a brand that would utterly dominate any survey of car people and non-car people alike if you asked them to name an electric car maker. Musk's need to hype vehicles and features that don't exist is just damaging, distracting and unnecessary when the most important thing he can do right now is build on the enormous real advantages Tesla has.

It doesn't matter what experts in self driving autonomy now believe. It matters that I accept Tesla as expert and it matters what they promised me. It is up to Tesla to be the experts they represented themselves to be. I didn't ask them to claim the cars were capable of FSD, they went out of their way to make sure I understood their claim at the time I bought the car.

I fully understand the advanced features you describe. That's why I paid them a lot of money for a car. It doesn't absolve them from delivering on the remainder of their promises. I expect them to keep every promise they make. Not some of them, not just the ones that they want to keep, but every one of them.

Look, I didn't pay them 80% of the money I agreed to pay, I paid them every cent. My end of the contract was fully honored. I expect the no less from Tesla.

Reactions: Superendo
I would buy FSD partly because some of the features they get and partly because of increased resale value and future proofing. Remember - ONLY FSD owners will get the new hardware upgrade.

"FSD features" is a misnomer... if the car can't drive itself it's not FSD (FULL self driving). Say they introduce a feature where the car recognizes traffic lights and will slow and stop for yellow and red lights respectively. If you still have to drive the car the rest of the time what's the point? EAP is great because it can already practically handle the boring parts of driving... highway driving and stop and go traffic with little input (hold the steering wheel and pay attention). FSD to me isn't worth it unless it's really FULL self driving... not just some features of FSD.

As for resale value, you would think that if someone buys a used Tesla in the future and pays for FSD they will get the new computer. Sure, maybe the price will go up a little over the years but I'm sure it will stay consistent with what the going rate is for FSD (price paid when buying the car, and price paid to upgrade later on).

I have gone on the record, as a prepaid S100D FSD owner, that I would NOT and DID not buy it on my X75D. With that said I can only imagine how many people will be RUNNING to Tesla to buy FSD if they do something as simple as allow for hands free driving on the expressway/hwy/limited entry roads for FSD customers. I feel fairly comfortable going on record with that. I'll tweet it since Tweets have no real value in the #TeslaTweetWorld :p

• Disagree
Reactions: HumanGenome
It doesn't matter what experts in self driving autonomy now believe. It matters that I accept Tesla as expert and it matters what they promised me. It is up to Tesla to be the experts they represented themselves to be. I didn't ask them to claim the cars were capable of FSD, they went out of their way to make sure I understood their claim at the time I bought the car.

I fully understand the advanced features you describe. That's why I paid them a lot of money for a car. It doesn't absolve them from delivering on the remainder of their promises. I expect them to keep every promise they make. Not some of them, not just the ones that they want to keep, but every one of them.

Look, I didn't pay them 80% of the money I agreed to pay, I paid them every cent. My end of the contract was fully honored. I expect the no less from Tesla.

I understand your point, I'm simply saying that you are all-but guaranteed not to get FSD since no Tesla sold today has the hardware or software to truly drive itself in the real world with the complexity of pedestrians and cyclists and cops doing hand traffic signals, etc., etc., no matter what Elon claims. Getting your money back is the best option since there is no way you'll be getting close to 100% of the promised made for FSD.

I understand your point, I'm simply saying that you are all-but guaranteed not to get FSD since no Tesla sold today has the hardware or software to truly drive itself in the real world with the complexity of pedestrians and cyclists and cops doing hand traffic signals, etc., etc., no matter what Elon claims. Getting your money back is the best option since there is no way you'll be getting close to 100% of the promised made for FSD.

I do not need or want my money back. The car is fantastic.

I do expect Tesla to deliver on promises even if it means they need to retrofit sensors and the CPU. I expect them to do this without charging me, beyond the “add later FSD upgrade fee” designated when I got the car. I do want Tesla to be overall profitable. As the sales of the 3s take off, the number of Ss will proportionally diminish. It may cost them the profit they made on my car to fulfill their promises but I do expect them to honor those promises.

My question is will Telsa give people that bought FSD version 3 hardware before FSD is completed. If not then I would wait. If so may be worth it to get the latest hardware when it comes out...

What does it matter if you have the new hardware, but the software isn't ready? If Tesla popped their new hardware into your car right now what difference would it make since there is no code that takes advantage of it? My guess is as they get close to rolling out new FSD features that are going to need the hardware they'll start having people schedule their hardware upgrades.