Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Wanted (WTB) and For Trade (WTT) listings should now be posted in one of the Marketplace categories. To post a WTB or WTT trade thread, please click here, then choose the category most appropriate for your listing, and then select the appropriate listing type.

Seeking used 2017 Tesla 75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would have to agree with welcomewagon, new you get a new car the tax incentive and free supercharging for life with referral, used sure you may save a little but I think you would be better off with a new one and you would know you get the exact config you want and free supercharging which may or may not be a big deal but always nice to have! If you need a code you can feel free to msg me!

Thank you all. I was pricing out a new one with the specs I wanted at 91,500. Even with the tax credits it doesn’t get you in to the low 70’s. Also with tax credits does your income impact this or do you get a flat amount back?

I found a used one built in 8/2017 with 21 inch wheels, auto pilot, self driving, sound, premium package, air suspension and subzero package for 79k. I think this is a good deal. More than I wanted to spend but the sticker on the car was 97750. Has 1300 miles on it.

Thoughts on this? Thanks

The options have changed slightly since 8/2017 because now the premium package includes the premium sound and sub zero package honestly I would probably go with a new one forget the 21" wheels and save that $$ get the tax credit and end up spending a tad more for a brand new car. I just did a build and it came to 93.5k less the 7.5k means you are at 86k for a brand new car fully loaded that includes the premium interior, carbon fibre, 21" and a color for 1k. I would lose the wheels bringing the build to 89k less 7.5k so why pay 79k for used when you can get new for 81.5k and a used one may not include free supercharging which a new one would. Am I wrong with any of these numbers?

I don’t need the 21 wheels that was just the build I found. The payment becomes a bit much as you still need to finance the full amount and pay taxes and the tax credit doesn’t apply until next year. So payment difference is a few hundred a month. The budget was 75k and I guess I feel that buying a slightly used one I get a better depreciated car and that my monthly payment will go with the depreciation where I am unsure that will be true with the new one even with the tax credit I might receive in 2018. I am still waiting for the accountant to tell me if it is dollar for dolllar or if other factors affect it when I file my tax return? Do you know? I also understand that free supercharging ended as of 2/1 on all model s new buys and from what I am reading the vehicles with free supercharging only apply to the first owner? I prefer to buy a new one but I am not sure I believe that is the smartest way to do it. Thanks for your replies.

Numbers for me where such
Car value was 79,730 (sticker was 97750)
Taxes and fees were approx 7k
Financing 64k for 84 months at 4.29%
Monthly payment is $886

New one financed thru Tesla
Build was 91,500
Included premium interior, premium upgrades package, autopilot sunroof, and red paint
Financed thru Tesla at 2.49% for 72 months (I didn’t apply but that was the rate they said)
Taxes up front (8.125%)
10 k down
Payment was approx 1200 a month
Didn’t include the self driving above does.

Thoughts?

Used 2017 Tesla Model S For Sale ($79,730) | Vroom

Here is the vehicle I found. Love comments
Looks like an awesome car! But it has the panoramic roof and not the sunroof you mentioned in your build was that an important option for you? You are correct about the supercharging, it only applies to the first owner unless you find an older car that may have it on the car itself not sure how that whole thing works but this car certainly won't have free supercharging which may or may not matter to you. On a new one you for sure have free supercharging with a referral (easy to get anyone here will give you one and I'm more then happy to share mine).

I would agree though that regardless of getting new vs used technically this car is saving you a bit but for the monthly payments you would need to make it the same term you can't compare a 72 month to an 84 month also seems like you are only financing 64k (putting 15k down plus all taxes?) vs 10k down (no taxes with a pending tax credit of 7.5k)?

I would look at it more along the lines of this car was 97k new (for arguments sake lets say it was 92k to match your new build) less the 7k brings it to 85k (really rough numbers) if you go with the used one you are going to save the 5k + taxes for what looks like a brand new car with 1300 miles on it and thats likely a deal I would always take IF it was exactly what I wanted colour, options etc... I love the colour on this used one (same as my Model X) but you mentioned you wanted red is that a big deal for you?

Here is the build on the car. Ideally I wanted the metallic grey or the red but with a tan interior. I love how the wheels make the car look but in the northeast likely want to invest in snow tires and rims ( I see you can buy the snow 19s from Tesla for 2500 so I may do that and rotate the tires over the years). I am familiar with low profiles having just come off an M3 lease.

If I built one I would probably choose the red but not a deal breaker for me and I like this build a lot. Can you let me know based on the build your take on the roof? I was under the impression that it had a sunroof. I have reserved the car and have until Wednesday to pay for it. The car is in Texas and I in NY. They will ship for free and take the car back within 7 days of delivery if I don’t like it. This is a BIG purchase for me. (Biggest car purchase I have ever made) so I really appreciate you taking the time to give me your thoughts. I like the idea of a new one a lot because I am dealing directly with Tesla and hit some random car place. I am certainly refiguring those numbers now. I have already missed opportunities on two other 75ds so I jumped on this one.

When you bought your Tesla how did the tax credit exactly work for you?

Thank you!!

Attachments

• DBB7CE05-7429-4078-853D-7D7CAF33AB3B.png
    DBB7CE05-7429-4078-853D-7D7CAF33AB3B.png
    203.2 KB · Views: 64
I'll start with our credit situation in Canada is totally different, in Quebec (where I am) they actually apply it to the purchase price BUT we get less. For example if you bought a model S here you would literally just get 3k that you never need to pay as part of your downpayment... much better then anywhere else I would imagine.

I have a Model X but for the model S honestly I love the panoramic and in all the sunroofs I have had in all the cars I have had I never really "opened" them just likes the light coming in so panoramic is ideal for me but again a matter of preference and there is no wrong answer to that. Buying a used one if it had a sunroof then ok if it didn't then who cares for me.

When I got mine I went through everything you are going through in terms of running the numbers and any which way it happened the math never made sense for used the interest rate for mine was 1.99% over 8 years (keep in mind I am in Canada so this may vary) and used was around 5-6% also no free supercharging and no 3k and not my custom config. At the end of the day I just said I'm getting new I want to make my car the way I want to and in the long run because of interest it basically worked out to the same even though it may have cost me 5-10k more then a used one with little to no mileage on it. I'll shoot you a DM with my number you can feel free to text or call me anytime probably answer all of your questions for you that I can in a call much quicker then on here.

Nice car! Another option is an Inventory Vehicle. This sells as "new" a with all the new car warranties, options for supercharger (with referral) but at a discount. They tend to go fast, however. I lucked out and nabbed mine by asking the reps at the store to look for something that fulfilled my wish list. Except for the 21" wheels and maybe a different seat, a new build from me would have been the same but with a longer wait and a higher price.