Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking your advice on getting Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My roadster has 24000 miles on it with few problems........all handled quickly by Tesla. Tire pressure monitor twice,but the second time they replaced a transmitter module and all has been fine for over a year. Lets see.... Trunk latch needed adjustment, I broke the cabin dome light when I replaced bulb with an LED ( Tesla replaced it for free and just told me I was a "dumba##"), I might be lucky but that's all. Radio does some volume things once in awhile but that's not a problem. I have the "sport" version 2.5 so Stage1 (see upgrade page) sound proofing was installed at birth. Wind noise yes but I can easily carry on a conversation with me passenger. I bought mine from Tesla used and have no idea how they treated the battery.... Probably a lot of range charge but I still get 185 on standard charge and 239 on range charge. I have solar panels so I can't speak for cost of charge. I drive it around 100 miles per day ..... Gave the TT to my sister and the VW to my son!

I love the car ........ It's like riding on a dragonfly thru a herd of dinosaurs. Some raptors try to chase you but there is no way!

Try for a 2.5 if you have the chance, try to get the CAC and read thread about that, if its from midatlantic area go to Rockville service center and ask for Greg and see if he will give idea about service on it and logs. May not be possible but just a thought.

All said and done ....... Take it out and drive it ....... You will buy it.

Hey all - thanks for the great input! I got my test drive yesterday and no surprise, am just about ready to buy one. I'll be getting one through Tesla; (can't imagine wanting to do it that way with any company but Tesla). I do have a couple of new questions that you may be able to help me on. The Roadster that I drove only has the cloth top, and it was 45 degrees out; my hands were pretty chilly from the air coming in. (I checked the fan was off and vents were on recirculate). I imagine if it had been raining I might even have gotten wet as well. Is the hard top better? Is yours air and watertight? It's rare in Northern VA to have top off weather (hot and humid a lot) so I will just put the hard top on and keep it on. My next question is about the front license plate - do any of you live in an area that's hot (long stretches of 90's) and have the front license plate mounted? Has that produced any overheating problems (the car or you) or is it not an issue?. A couple of charging questions; I only have a 40 amp (240 V) circuit for charging, which means charging at 32 amps. Can I set the charge current to 32 and have it be the permanent default or will I need to reset it every time? Also, I don't drive daily, sometimes only about 3 or 4 miles to the grocery store and that's it for a few days. On one hand, I understand plugging in on returning is recommended to keep the battery cool (or warm in winter - my garage stays around 80-85 all summer, low 35-40's in the winter) but isn't it also not great to constantly "top up" Li-ion batteries after using very little? Or is the Li-ion chemistry of the Roadster's batteries different in a way to be OK with that? I'll appreciate whatever insights you have to share on these questions.

My next question is about the front license plate - do any of you live in an area that's hot (long stretches of 90's) and have the front license plate mounted? Has that produced any overheating problems (the car or you) or is it not an issue?. A couple of charging questions; I only have a 40 amp (240 V) circuit for charging, which means charging at 32 amps. Can I set the charge current to 32 and have it be the permanent default or will I need to reset it every time? Also, I don't drive daily, sometimes only about 3 or 4 miles to the grocery store and that's it for a few days. On one hand, I understand plugging in on returning is recommended to keep the battery cool (or warm in winter - my garage stays around 80-85 all summer, low 35-40's in the winter) but isn't it also not great to constantly "top up" Li-ion batteries after using very little? Or is the Li-ion chemistry of the Roadster's batteries different in a way to be OK with that? I'll appreciate whatever insights you have to share on these questions.

1. I have a front license plate in a hot and humid climate without problems.
2. Once you set the charging rate at a location, it generally stays set for that location. I charge at 32 amps.
3. My preference is to plug the car in every day unless there is a good reason not to. The battery management system is good.

Hey sethr, you should spend some time reading through the forums here to catch up, but here's some answers:

0) What version are you looking at? v2.5s are more refined than v1.5s - I think it's fair to say that Tesla got better as time went on. Certainly, the used car pricing reflects that belief.

1) Hard top will be warmer/dryer. Virtually impossible to leak at the rear, can be slightly better at the top front corners.

2) I don't know what you mean by "vent mode." Roadsters have a temp dial, a fan speed dial, an output location dial, ands for AC and recir. It's pretty crude, but you shouldn't have any problems with soft top in 45 degree weather. Just give it some heat.

3) Don't worry about overheating due to front license plate.

4) You sure about that 40 amp thing? That's not typical for US - usually you get either 50 or 30 amp breakers. But, anyway, yes, if you're using an adapter rated for more than the circuit can actually handle, you can turn down the current draw and the car will remember that at that location.

5) Plug the car in whenever you can. Topping off is good, not bad, for Roadster battery life.

Finally - don't forget to drive it like you stole it!

Is the hard top better? Is yours air and watertight? It's rare in Northern VA to have top off weather (hot and humid a lot) so I will just put the hard top on and keep it on.

I think I drove my Roadster for only a month or so without the hardtop. The hardtop to me was like a regular car. I wrote this post on my general dislike of convertibles but it is just my personal taste.

Convertible Not For Me | Tesla Owner

1. I have a front license plate in a hot and humid climate without problems.
2. Once you set the charging rate at a location, it generally stays set for that location. I charge at 32 amps.
3. My preference is to plug the car in every day unless there is a good reason not to. The battery management system is good.

Agree on all points. My car knows my two charge points that are 150 feet apart and are 110 and 340 respectively.

I think I drove my Roadster for only a month or so without the hardtop. The hardtop to me was like a regular car. I wrote this post on my general dislike of convertibles but it is just my personal taste.

I'm just the opposite (what do you expect No.Cal versus So.Cal) - I drove the car home, took the hard top off, put it in a protective cover, and stored it (I'm not sure I even know where it is). I use the soft top to wash the car. I either have the top off or drive with a mesh top.

Like others have said before - that Right Foot can get expensive - god forbid when (not if) I get a speeding ticket :eek:

Hey sethr, you should spend some time reading through the forums here to catch up, but here's some answers:

0) What version are you looking at? v2.5s are more refined than v1.5s - I think it's fair to say that Tesla got better as time went on. Certainly, the used car pricing reflects that belief.

1) Hard top will be warmer/dryer. Virtually impossible to leak at the rear, can be slightly better at the top front corners.

2) I don't know what you mean by "vent mode." Roadsters have a temp dial, a fan speed dial, an output location dial, ands for AC and recir. It's pretty crude, but you shouldn't have any problems with soft top in 45 degree weather. Just give it some heat.

3) Don't worry about overheating due to front license plate.

4) You sure about that 40 amp thing? That's not typical for US - usually you get either 50 or 30 amp breakers. But, anyway, yes, if you're using an adapter rated for more than the circuit can actually handle, you can turn down the current draw and the car will remember that at that location.

5) Plug the car in whenever you can. Topping off is good, not bad, for Roadster battery life.

Finally - don't forget to drive it like you stole it!

I am definitely getting a 2.5. As you say, they continually refined it. Plus, I'd spend just as much if not more by the time I finished upgrading a 2.0!

I do indeed have 40 amps and there isn't enough capacity on the electrical panel for more. Old house.

I meant that when I felt the cold air, I made sure it wasn't coming from the air vents by putting it in recirculate mode and checking the fan was off. Therefore it was coming through the soft top. Actually, I like the Roadster's manual controls for HVAC (the darn Leaf decides for you, you cannot get fresh air without it being heated or cooled, plus anytime you change anything it switches you to outside air from recirculate so you can smell everyone's exhaust)

As to how to drive it - is there another way besides fast? Well, within the limits imposed by what is officially the worst traffic in the nation - the D.C. Metro/Northern VA area.

... I do indeed have 40 amps and there isn't enough capacity on the electrical panel for more. Old house.

I wouldn't limit the amps in the car as some have suggested. Leave that at 70A. Your charging equipment should automatically be set to let the car know that 32A is all it can take. As long as the house wiring has the right cable and receptacle for a 40A breaker, then the UMC will automatically charge at 32A. If using a wall mounted charger like the HPC, then make sure it is properly programmed for 32A maximum charge rate.

I've never had my soft top leak but don't use it more than a few weeks each year. My hard top is quieter and I think it is a little warmer in the winter. One reason I like the Roadster is that it has very "basic" controls for HVAC. I can always make it do exactly what I want.

It is a good idea to charge briefly in range mode at very low amps immediately upon returning home if your battery is hot. The easiest way to manage this is with a third party accessory called the Tattler. Search for it in the Tesla Parts for Sale forum. Schedule your regular charging for the middle of the night. Resting at a lower voltage for several hours is better but only slightly as the Std mode charge never gets the voltage high enough to make a big difference. Heat is a bigger enemy.

Roadster owners also rave about the Mesh Top and the Short-and-Sweet J1772 adapter (disclosure: I make $$ on the latter).

Good luck. You'll love it!

Sethr - I only have a few weeks with my 2.5, but I live in a rainy / wet climate (Portland, OR), and only have the soft top. I haven't seen any problems with the cabin getting wet when raining.

I will also add that Portland is fairly wet during the winter, but the individual rainy periods are nothing like a good Southern downpour, so I don't know how that will affect things.

Regarding air tightness, my wife has extreme chemical sensitivity issues, including a strong reaction to car exhaust. The only car she has ridden in for years is our new Roadster. We are guessing that the air heading for the cabin gets filtered in some way. As above with the raining thing, we only have the soft top, and that's been proving adequate to provide a safe enough environment to go driving.

My soft top is water tight, even during driving rain at 80mph. I love the fact that I might drive somewhere with the top on and then roll it up and put it in the trunk for the rest of the drive. The car is outrageous with the top off. I've owned many cars including Ferraris and Porsche and the roadster is the most exhilarating car yet. It's small but it's a blast. There are rear tires that last much longer than the originals and are also cheaper.
michael

Sethr
I'm only a few hours north of you in MD and front license plate ..... No problem
I charge on a 40amp circuit at 32amps ..... No problem just, as stated above, set charging for night time and keep it plugged in all the time.That way the car won't top off until electric rates are down and you are ready to drive it for he day........ And I DO recommend that you drive it everyday for the fun of it!
I have hard top I use in Dec, Jan, and Feb and a soft top and mesh top for summer ...... No leaks, hard top is quieter and stops one squeeeek behind my head.
I also notice a slight draft on my hands with HVAC off during cold weather... Can't find source but just turn on heat and roast your hands for a few minutes. In my car the heat temp control (left knob) on full and blower (middle knob) on first click makes it too hot on hands.... Must divert some heat to feet(right knob) ...... And DO get the add on foot heat diverted from Tesla. It's cheap and will help drivers feet in our colder months.
Tesla Tattler as mentioned above is a must. It allows you some very cool iPhone control of the car and gives you great feed back. It also allows you to automatically cool your battery upon arrival at a designated spot (like home) without starting full charging cycle. In VA summer .....good idea!

.........and if you don't drive it like a jerk a little you are missing a lot of fun....... Like riding a dragonfly thru a herd of dinosaurs!!! :)

- - - Updated - - -

.......oh the short j1772 adapter is a must also. Contact hcsharp on that one. That's money we'll spent!,

Thanks for the input, everyone. I have a couple more questions now - I was looking at the Tattler threads; I only have a dumb phone; I assume you can only see what's going on, not control functions with a dumb phone? So, can the Tattler communicate with a Mac somehow? Or can I get the battery to cool without charging from the car? I suppose I could get a smart phone, but that would be about all I'd use it for. (I got a basic cell phone years ago after being stranded in my 300ZX on the side of a busy highway 50 feet from a sign with the free number for people to call to report a stranded motorist. After nearly two hours it finally restarted, in all that time no one made the free call to get me help despite much waving and pointing at the sign. So I got a cell. Never use it.)

By the way, a few people have been suggesting I drive the Roadster to fully enjoy it. Don't worry - suffice it to say I learned to drive in NYC. Actually, I may have driven a little like that on the test drive.... I wanted into the left lane for a turn lane. Nobody was offering, so I may have kinda sorta used the Roadster's capabilities to "insist". Put a smile on my face.