Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seems there are big changes coming with vehicles produced after October 21

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the part catalogue ("October 21, 2017 through Current Production", previous was - "October 14, 2016 through Current Production"):
- New part number for the MCU (same part for S and X now.)
- New part number for front lights.
- Automatic circuit breakers for the 12V system.
- Redundant power for servo.
- Double the cables for the radar, primary and secondary, perhaps a second redundant radar is coming?
- Secondary Autopilot ECU. 2 AP ECU, or perhaps just redundant power supply? 30A and 10A.

From the part catalogue ("October 21, 2017 through Current Production", previous was - "October 14, 2016 through Current Production"):
- New part number for the MCU (same part for S and X now.)
- New part number for front lights.
- Automatic circuit breakers for the 12V system.
- Redundant power for servo.
- Double the cables for the radar, primary and secondary, perhaps a second redundant radar is coming?
- Secondary Autopilot ECU. 2 AP ECU, or perhaps just redundant power supply? 30A and 10A.

Seems like the generational shift Model 3 is paving way for is coming... expected.

There is also the APH3 code that has appreared in Design Studio.

HW2.5 capabilities

Well, the Model 3 is said to have possibly have a two node system... (two GPUs?)

HW2.5 capabilities

Thanks for sharing! These changes are really something I would like to have so will probably wait with my order.
You don't see any new part numbers for the rear lights on Model S? They really start to look dated with the dotted LEDs. Model S need to get the same rear light LEDs as Model X and now also Model 3.

Good question. Did AP2 start with a hard cutoff on October 14, 2016, or was there some slippage onto earlier cars? 2.5 is supposed to be on all cars already according to the Electrek article back when.

Accoring to the latest on Autonomous Vehicles sub-forum, that Electrek info is a bit suspect - or there are more variations than just HW 2.5 or "2.1"... so I'm not sure what we know exactly.

Well that makes more sense, no? Would they really have a published list out 60 days in advance? Or cut and paste something and not change the month? :D

Edit: and means current orders get it for better or worse, lol...

I guess it is also possible they mistakenly released a parts guide (or portion) in advance, but IMO @lunitiks theory seems more plausible.

Reactions: Kacey Green
Thank goodness I don't have to be buying a Tesla right now. Maybe I'll just keep the Model X forever or until I can buy something else.

Buying another Tesla would be way too stressful to time. :) Last year was bad enough...

I can hear model years and dealerships inviting me with their soothing predictability... ;)
Lol... I hear that..: model years do have some attraction. But the addiction of OTA software. Too bad hardware isn't OTA also! :D

Wow. I do love all of the information on these forums, and I am big fan of getting all the information you can before making such a bid decision, but I can totally see how "too much" information can be paralyzing. :)
Kind of like buying a new laptop - you can always wait and the next set of specs. will be better but at some point, you have to pull the trigger. (I am just a big talker, I am still looking and waiting) :D