Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self installed Tesla Wall Charger...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took this on yesterday...pretty easy and straightforward. I thought it would be more complicated but it's basically connecting 3 wires at two ends, and popping in a breaker. Toughest part was probably inserting the wires into the charger slots, hard to see the hole and the wire are pretty stiff when that short in length.

Started out by picking up some supplied...
1.jpg

Making a hole...
2.jpg

And piecing it together...pretty straight forward, though I did have to run back to Home Depot for a conduit bending tool.
3.jpg

Pull the wires through...
4.jpg

Mount the charger...
5.jpg

Bring it up into the main panel...
6.jpg

Connect to the new 60A breaker...
7.jpg

And done! Well, need to paint it, but functionally done. :)
10.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Good job. How fast are you charging at 50A?

Is there a definite way to check? (Somewhere in the settings for last charge?)

Off the top of my head, I was down to 77 miles and it charged to 227 miles (90%) in what showed at the beginning should take 4.5 hours...did not time it to see if that is exactly how long it took, but that comes out to 33.3 miles/hour. Its a 60A breaker by the way (48A charging).

Is there a definite way to check? (Somewhere in the settings for last charge?)

Off the top of my head, I was down to 77 miles and it charged to 227 miles (90%) in what showed at the beginning should take 4.5 hours...did not time it to see if that is exactly how long it took, but that comes out to 33.3 miles/hour. Its a 60A breaker by the way (48A charging).

Right. I mean 48A.

When it's charging, it will say on your screen how many miles per hour you're getting.

I did some testing and got it all nailed down...guess I could have done this testing before but now we all get to learn. :)

The charger door will open without physically touching it by holding down the "trunk" of the remote FOB for a couple of seconds. To close it, just click once on the "roof" of the FOB, which in addition to locking the doors, also closes the charge port door.

The charger door will open without physically touching it by holding down the "trunk" of the remote FOB for a couple of seconds. To close it, just click once on the "roof" of the FOB, which in addition to locking the doors, also closes the charge port door.
Based on the 48A and 72A discussion, I assume you have a refreshed Model S. Why aren't you pushing the button on the HPWC to open the charge door? And the charge door should automatically close in a few seconds after unplugging.

One thing I might consider (probably too late now, however) is to move your 60A EVSE breaker away from the 60A PV breaker. Both will be plenty warm if you charge during a sunny day. They are right across from each other and the bus 'down there' will get very warm, especially with the plug-in breakers that friction-fit to the bus.

• Helpful
Reactions: Randaddy
One thing I might consider (probably too late now, however) is to move your 60A EVSE breaker away from the 60A PV breaker. Both will be plenty warm if you charge during a sunny day. They are right across from each other and the bus 'down there' will get very warm, especially with the plug-in breakers that friction-fit to the bus.

Yeah, that crossed my mind but didn't really have much choice as the rest of the bus is full and swapping with other breakers would have been a bit difficult.

It shouldn't be an issue as I plan to charge at night, and after the battery is full, it does not matter if the charger is still connected to the car right? (As in if I plug in at night, and then do not unplug the following day after the sun is up/solar is producing).

Yeah, that crossed my mind but didn't really have much choice as the rest of the bus is full and swapping with other breakers would have been a bit difficult.

It shouldn't be an issue as I plan to charge at night, and after the battery is full, it does not matter if the charger is still connected to the car right? (As in if I plug in at night, and then do not unplug the following day after the sun is up/solar is producing).
If you're not charging in the afternoon, it's a non-issue.