Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

self presenting door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok finally got my x. it's 90d without the self presenting feature.

It does come with 2 motors per each of the front doors. 1 motor to latch the door shut tightly, and the other to swing the door open or close.

Here is a short video of how it works:

Notice that pressing the break or using the console can close the door, click the handle will open or close the door. the door opens slightly when it detects obstacles

I'm very happy with how it works without self presenting feature.

So, ddep, are you saying you have the non-premium interior, and the front doors are still powered? Sorry, I'm new here and can't seem to get a straight answer on this. I've had two Tesla reps tell me the doors only pop open an inch without the premium upgrade package, and you have to manually open and close them from there. But I don't completely trust their knowledge of the product. Is there anyone in this forum with the cloth (synthetic? what are we calling them?) seats that could confirm this? If all front doors are already motorized, I'll save myself the $7000. ($4500 for premium, plus mandatory upgrade to leather of $2500, when you select premium. Wish they'd decouple these two options.) Thanks for any help on this question.

Yeah from reading the website it looks like self presenting doors are not available on regular cars. But if it don't have a handle then I can see why it would be hard to open the front doors. Personally I like manually opening/closing the doors. What happens if you put your hands on the front door when you accidentally press the brakes. The door will automatically close and I can see how people can get injured doing this.

Keep is simple tesla. This is one of the main reason why I purchased the model s instead of the X.

Yeah from reading the website it looks like self presenting doors are not available on regular cars. But if it don't have a handle then I can see why it would be hard to open the front doors. Personally I like manually opening/closing the doors. What happens if you put your hands on the front door when you accidentally press the brakes. The door will automatically close and I can see how people can get injured doing this.

Keep is simple tesla. This is one of the main reason why I purchased the model s instead of the X.

I never want a car with doors I have to open and close manually again...

Automatic transmissions, power brakes, power steering, electric windows, A/C, interior lighting, electric door locks, electric seats ...
Wow just wow. What have this world come to? People are so lazy they can't even open their own doors? I mean power brakes, transmission, and other car related stuff is so you can drive the car safer. Power windows maybe so you focus on driving. AC so you can actually drive the car in hot places. What? you want a car to open the doors while you drive so you don't causes an accident?

Yeah great analogy between power doors and other automated car related stuff that actually you will use while you drive to make it safer.

Yeah I can see it. Your Wife/GF come out of the resturant and about to enter your car. You press the button on your key fob. What ever happened to Chivalry?

Yes some people are truly lazier than others.

Wow just wow. What have this world come to? People are so lazy they can't even open their own doors? I mean power brakes, transmission, and other car related stuff is so you can drive the car safer. Power windows maybe so you focus on driving. AC so you can actually drive the car in hot places. What? you want a car to open the doors while you drive so you don't causes an accident?

Yeah great analogy between power doors and other automated car related stuff that actually you will use while you drive to make it safer.

Yeah I can see it. Your Wife/GF come out of the resturant and about to enter your car. You press the button on your key fob. What ever happened to Chivalry?

Yes some people are truly lazier than others.
It may be "laziness" for some, but I doubt that's a big motivator.

You may have overlooked that some people have disabilities or injuries. Sometimes your hands are full. Or your car is wet with road grime. Or icy.

There's also the fact that the door handles on the X are recessed and don't auto-present like the ones on the S. With the S, you walk up, pull, and keep pulling to open. With the X, you walk up, push the door handle in, the door pops open, and you grab it by the frame and open it. It's not a smooth action like it is with the S or any other car.

Most arguments are nuanced and don't have a simple answer. But some people are too lazy to think them through.

Reactions: FarmerDave
Does anyone know how to turn off the self opening doors when unlocking the car....when I unlock the car to unlpug the charge cord the driver front door swings open. When I unlock the car to get into it to door swings fully open. It's pretty dangerous.

Does anyone know how to turn off the self opening doors when unlocking the car....when I unlock the car to unlpug the charge cord the driver front door swings open. When I unlock the car to get into it to door swings fully open. It's pretty dangerous.

Don't think you can do that but if you hold the trunk button you can open the charge port so no unlock is needed

• Informative
Reactions: Super_Popular
image.png Should the driver door opens when you use key fob to unlock without tech pkg? Mine is happening from time to time.